SASS Wire Forum

Search complete. Old Colt SAA found. (Video added)

Warden Callaway

I have a lot of old guns.  But I only have one SAA made before 1900. Until yesterday.   

Pulled up to gunshop and told Sawmill Mary, "We'll just walk in and make a loop and say HI to Nick and leave." That was the plan. Went in and waived to Nick on the phone. (Always on the phone.) We went down the display case of revolvers.  Soon here was Nick.  Says, "Have you seen them yet?" No.  Pulls out two first generation Colt SAAs. 

2045908569_ColtsfirstgenerationJune242022.thumb.jpg.9b5280d1aeb2500a03fbbad34c0c3cb9.jpg

The blue one was made in 1893. It's a Frankenstein gun being refinished and converted to 38 Special.  But the grips appear to be real pearl. Lots not right but bullseye ejector rod.  Bore perfect.

The one without finish was made in 1901 and is in 32WCF.  Not my first choice in calibers but I do load for it. Great bore. All markings are there. 

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse,  as they say. Don't know how much I'll do with either one of them. The 32WCF needs cleaning up. Both could use some action work.

Love the .32-20!   If you don't want it, let me know.

As far as the .38 goes, it sure looks nice.   I too have an antique SAA that has been converted from it's original .44-40 to a something else.   There is some debate about such conversions.   Some say that if the cylinder is a "modern" one made with high quality steel you can shoot smokeless in them.  Others say that even if the cylinder can withstand the pressure, it is questionable at best if the frame can.   It is a curious question, that I do not have an "expert" answer for.   You can't go wrong by erring on the side of caution and only using black, but it is an interesting question.

I hope you enjoy the pistols.

I shoot black powder anyway.

They converted the recoil shield to the new smaller hole and updated the hammer with concave pin.  Hammer is messing the overhang on the half cock knotch. Trigger looks short. I've got a few extra parts to try.

2039972066_ColtSAA38Specialbushing6252022.jpg.493ec313cfd7ac7f3faf31e658e00369.jpg

If you need brass for that 32, my LGS had some this week. PM me if you need the info.

49 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

If you need brass for that 32, my LGS had some this week. PM me if you need the info.

I'm good on 32WCF brass and stuff.

I've taken both guns apart and cleaned them. The 32WCF was a little crusted up with carbon and dry oil.  Works much better now. Bolt a little loose and some endshake but could use. 

I put a new hammer and trigger in old blue.  Old trigger was short by about a 1/16" (broken off?).  Half cock overhang was missing on the hammer.  Now ok but needs adjusting.  Went too far now.  Put some old clunker grip panels on it and put pearls in gunsafe. 

100 actual and 107 heat index.  Wait for a better day to shoot them.

13 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Love the .32-20!   If you don't want it, let me know.

As far as the .38 goes, it sure looks nice.   I too have an antique SAA that has been converted from it's original .44-40 to a something else.   There is some debate about such conversions.   Some say that if the cylinder is a "modern" one made with high quality steel you can shoot smokeless in them.  Others say that even if the cylinder can withstand the pressure, it is questionable at best if the frame can.   It is a curious question, that I do not have an "expert" answer for.   You can't go wrong by erring on the side of caution and only using black, but it is an interesting question.

I hope you enjoy the pistols.

Use BLACK ONLY 

I had Bill Fuchs of Spring Creek Armory refinish two old Colts for me. Here is on made in 1906.  But both had had their original finish removed.  I'm thinking I'll leave the 32WCF the way it is. 

Stimulus Colt,  Before and after. 

1865159359_StimulusColt38WCFBApril2020.jpg.7966e93e7f45dba20547464890717a04.jpg296169074_StimulusColtSAAin38WCFFeb2021.jpg.f1169103bb9ed78632eb461c50d88b74.jpg

im very impressed , they look great , while not a collector of colts i have a couple , my old one is also refinished - it was a 38 WCF that was converted to 22LR somewhere along the way , it does have an ugly glo tube front sight too , 

How are we going to define "Old?"  1st Generation, that is to say no newer than 1940, at least 100 years, or pre-1898?

I guess the most logical definition is First Generation, which would make the guns in question at least 82 years of age.   Looking over my collection, I have 3 SAA's that fit that bill.   Actually, they'd all get the 100+ years definition, but I thought it would be worth it to be as broad as possible.   I also have several other Colts, and even some other makes, that'd fit all three possibilities, but since this is about the Colt SAA, I'll keep it simple.  :)

Bisley.thumb.jpg.324af8f992753c4f2108105bd826315c.jpg 

Technically, the Bisley model IS a variant of the SAA, so I have included it here.  Made in 1904, it's a .32-20

577467117_Antique44-40.thumb.jpg.a7d558d088b6a52c8b702a88e3bc32bd.jpg

This was made in 1884, and the very ugly chrome refinish allowed me to get it for all of $500 about 2 years ago.  It's mechanically perfect, if somewhat on the ugly side.   According to the factory letter, it started out as blued.  I do kinda like how the hammer, trigger, cylinder pin, ejector and housing, as well as the inside of the loading gate have been gold plated.   I did look into having it restored, but to make a long story short, the gunsmith I consulted felt it was probably too far "gone" to restore.  He said he could do it, but that it would probably not look right and recommended not bothering.  So, I passed.  I haven't decided if I'll replace the grips or not.  I think the pistol has some character as is, and kinda like it this way.  It's a .44-40.

148524058_Antique32-20.thumb.jpg.d45455c1285f26d1684bc01f8f8f7ec5.jpg

And finally, this one is a .32-20 made in 1881.  Sorta.   According to its letter, it started life as a .44-40, but did come from the factory with a nickel finish.  I therefore have no idea why the ejector housing is blued.  Colt has no record of doing the modifications at the factory, so it's anybody's guess as to when it was done.  The barrel and cylinder are clearly "modern" ones, and a gunsmith who specializes in old Colts guessed that they were of 1920's vintage.   But he freely admitted that that was a guess.  It shoots quite well.

And those are my 3 oldest Colts of the SAA family.   

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Found under the grips on the 32WCF.  Can't decide what it's saying.  But build numbers have been scratched off.

548996931_colt32WCFgripWright6282022.jpg.ab547d79db3a38d06678fc6d9860d8cb.jpg

I'd guess the word n the right hand side is "Felix."   Maybe the person who worked on the gun at one point?

Or maybe his cat...

49 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'd guess the word n the right hand side is "Felix."   Maybe the person who worked on the gun at one point?

Or maybe his cat...

I took the first letter as an upper Case J.  Lower case F?  Hard to write on hard rubber. 

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Search complete. Old Colt SAA found. (Video added)

Archived