SASS Wire Forum

Ruger single six "free spin cylinder" modification?

Wrangler Bob

I have a Ruger Single Six that I bought in 1958. I would like to have the "free spin" feature on this gun like my Ruger Blackhawks. Is that modification "do able" on the single six? Gunsmith work? Kit?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Interesting question.

Here's a thought for you.

If the gun you bought in 1958 is a flat gate that has not been converted it has collectable value.

You may ruin that value by altering its internals.

Just a thought.

I have several Vaquero's and Blackhawks that are free spin. Dustin Linebaugh installed a set screw into the recoil shield just below the pawl and adjusted them to perfection. Then, filled the head of the set screw, cannot see the modification.. They do the same on the Linebaugh 475 and 500's. Not really a necessity but it's pretty cool to have.

5 hours ago, Assassin said:

I have several Vaquero's and Blackhawks that are free spin. Dustin Linebaugh installed a set screw into the recoil shield just below the pawl and adjusted them to perfection. Then, filled the head of the set screw, cannot see the modification.. They do the same on the Linebaugh 475 and 500's. Not really a necessity but it's pretty cool to have.

Vaquero's are not three screw like the OP's 1958 model.  Different animal.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's true. 

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I'll send Dustin a message and see what the procedure is for free spinning a 3 screw.

According to Dustin Linebaugh the hammer must be in the halfcock position in order to unlock the bolt on a three screw Ruger before allowing the cylinder to free spin. 

Archived