SASS Wire Forum

Reloading problem and solution.

Matthew Duncan

Reloading problem and solution.

Dillion 605 XL with brass feeder.  Changing tool heads from 45 Colt to 9mm.  Different shell plate, locator pins, bushing, primer punch assembly all of that I keep in box marked with the caliber.  If I have any pieces left over I know that I forgot to change something over.  It’s what cowpokes call Idiot proof.

There I am.  Pulling 9 mil conversion from one box and putting the removed 45 Colt pieces into another box.  “SUPPER’S READY” the wife yells down the stairs.  “I'LL BE UP IN A MINUTE” I yell back up.  “IT’S GETTING COLD”.

After supper I finishing changing the reloader over for 9 mil.  Powder in the hopper.  Manually place a primer in the seating station to seat a primer in a sized piece of brass.  Use this brass to cycle the power station 5 times before weighting a charge to confirm its is still correct from the last reloading sessions.  All is good.  Time to start cracking out 9 mil reloads!

I’m not even half way though the first 100 primers and I’ve already had 4 primers seated upside down!  I’ve had perhaps 1 upside down primer per 10 thousand primers but never like this.  Primer pickup tube?  Disassemble the primer station to get the rest of the unused primers out.  Reassemble and reload primers from a different primer pick tube.  Blast IT ALL!  Still getting upside down primers!  Disassemble again, remove primers, CLEAN and reassemble and load Magazine Tube and … still having upside down primers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t have this problem while reloading 45 Colt!

I check the 9 mil box to see if there is a part I forgot to change, nope, box is empty.  I check the 45 Colt box, yep, all the parts that should be there are there, I hadn’t interchange the parts.  GREAT HORNY TOADS!  What’s going on?  Yes that’s the correct shell plate, correct primer punch, the correct…light bulb moment!

I had forgotten to swap the large primer magazine tube for the small primer magazine.  Install the correct primer magazine and just like magic, no more upside down primers!

Moral of the story?  I’m an idiot.

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt.

When I ordered my XL650 it was setup for 45 Colt and after one time converting the priming system to small primers to reload 1000 9x19 I decided to buy a 2nd priming system for small primers .  To me the cost was worth the time saved.  I never thought it makes changing primer sizes IDIOT proof.

This is why I run 5 SDB presses.

I to have done similar So I bought the SDB presses.

And you thought you were the only one that’s has done this?  Here’s a hint, it’ll happen again!

Don't ask how I know this.

10 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

When I ordered my XL650 it was setup for 45 Colt and after one time converting the priming system to small primers to reload 1000 9x19 I decided to buy a 2nd priming system for small primers .  To me the cost was worth the time saved.  I never thought it makes changing primer sizes IDIOT proof.

But you still would have to change the primer punch each time, wouldn't you?  That's the most annoying part. 

5 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But you still would have to change the primer punch each time, wouldn't you?  That's the most annoying part. 

I'm using an SDB, but bought a second primer set-up off eBay and set one up as large and one as small. 3 screws to change over, about 30 seconds and no adjustments needed. FWIW

Archived