SASS Wire Forum

Reloader Quick Poll

Shepherd Book

On 6/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, El Catorce said:

Dillon makes great products. A 550 is probably all you will need both literally amd figuratively.  It will cover your reloading needs and works well without added expense of a case feeder. A 750 is very nice but it really needs the optional case feeder to be optimal. 

In my opinion, this is the best advice. The 650/750 is not very friendly without a case feeder. The 550 or Hornady LnL AP would be better for bare bones needs. Making the job fast and easy though would be with a case feeder. How much that is worth to you can increase over time, not necessarily cost justified.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hornaday Pro-Jector, fore runner to the LNL. 
Also a RCBS Rockchucker, a Lee Hand press, Lee APP,

Hornaday DL 105, Hornaday Apex, SL 900, and a few more. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Tried Spolar (out of my price range without equally increased benefits)

Without equally increased benefits? 

Well I have to 1000% disagree.  I started on an a Lee LoadAll (which I use for my son's super light buckaroo shells), went to an RCBS, moved to a Mec 900, then on to not one, not two, but three PWs jamomatics, before forking over the cash for the Spolar. One of the BEST investments i have ever made. I bought my Spoler #2520 with the hydraulic actuator. I've loaded over 15000 shells in several different configurations, over 12ish years, and it has been literally flawless.  I can load 30 shells a minute and a long as you do your part without messing up ie forgetting to place a hull, wad, or check to make sure the primer set straight in the cup (a minor issue they have since corrected with a newly designed primer cup and way more of an issue with the much faster hydraulic) the Spolar will take the nastiest hulls and load them to look like factory. Their service is as good or better than Dillon as for questions. I can't say anything about replacement parts as the machine is a Swiss watch beast and I've never had a issue. And it still looks brand new. 

As for the cost... yes it is expensive, but my time is very valuable, and I'd spend it all over again even if I was only loading for myself for a few SASS matches because it's so easy, there is never any aggravation with problems, and the shells it makes are SO nice that I can reload Gun Clubs at least 6 times. YMMV, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents as a long time owner of one. 

JEL20220626_202809.thumb.jpg.5b50977c9d3ef40c4a99af94666b196f.jpg20220626_202755.thumb.jpg.b06117f6a5134e146ede97f3af1380e0.jpg

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

Without equally increased benefits? 

Well I have to 1000% disagree.  I started on an a Lee LoadAll (which I use for my son's super light buckaroo shells), went to an RCBS, moved to a Mec 900, then on to not one, not two, but three PWs jamomatics, before forking over the cash for the Spolar. One of the BEST investments i have ever made. I bought my Spoler #2520 with the hydraulic actuator. I've loaded over 15000 shells in several different configurations, over 12ish years, and it has been literally flawless.  I can load 30 shells a minute and a long as you do your part without messing up ie forgetting to place a hull, wad, or check to make sure the primer set straight in the cup (a minor issue they have since corrected with a newly designed primer cup and way more of an issue with the much faster hydraulic) the Spolar will take the nastiest hulls and load them to look like factory. Their service is as good or better than Dillon as for questions. I can't say anything about replacement parts as the machine is a Swiss watch beast and I've never had a issue. And it still looks brand new. 

As for the cost... yes it is expensive, but my time is very valuable, and I'd spend it all over again even if I was only loading for myself for a few SASS matches because it's so easy, there is never any aggravation with problems, and the shells it makes are SO nice that I can reload Gun Clubs at least 6 times. YMMV, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents as a long time owner of one. 

JEL20220626_202809.thumb.jpg.5b50977c9d3ef40c4a99af94666b196f.jpg20220626_202755.thumb.jpg.b06117f6a5134e146ede97f3af1380e0.jpg

Didn’t say it would not benefit some. I have only been loading SG about 8 years, first on a MEC Sizemaster now on a 9000 (not familiar with the 900). Total investment in both machines- a little over $600. Total rounds loaded between them -around 28,000. Total part’s replaced-1 sizing collet on the Sizemaster which was replaced under warranty. Currently load about 350-400 per hour which is 1 flat for practice plus 2 matches or so sometimes twice a month, used to do quite a bit more.  Hulls (STS) are reloaded usually five times sometimes six. Toss when they “frost” at the mouth or get pinholes. Crimp’s are consistent at dime depth, no center hole. Loads (until recently) 16 grains Clays, 1 oz 7.5 shot, Remington STS primer, pink Claybuster wad. Now experimenting with 14 grains Clays, 3/4 oz 7.5 shot, Remington STS primer, Claybuster bright pink wad. While I would love a hydraulic system to save these old arm’s and wrists what is a Spolar hydraulic worth nowadays? Don’t know but guessing $2 thousand or more.
Where is the benefit?

Enjoy your machine, I will admit to being somewhat envious but could not justify changing from what I have. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS from your alias I am assuming LEO, thanks for what you do. 

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Thank God for the pictures...I've never seen a Spolar before.

:rolleyes:

Phantom

You’d like it.

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Thank God for the pictures...I've never seen a Spolar before.

:rolleyes:

Phantom

Really? nice productive post. :rolleyes:

If you read my actual post I commented that after 13+ years it still looks brand new which is why I posted the pic. The post was also NOT directed to you in any way whatsoever so I surely don't care whether you have or have not ever seen a Spolar before. 

Nice to see some things (people) haven't changed here on the wire. I have noticed not so often so that is a plus.

Y'all have a great day.

JEL

Since you asked....

I do all my reloading (except shotgun of course) on an RCBS Rockchucker single stage.  I keep about 1000 rounds loaded on the shelf, and after each match I decap and clean the brass.  About every other match I reload them.  It's a very relaxing way to spend a few hours in the reloading room.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:18 PM, Hendo said:

I started with the Lee Turret (hate the powder drop), but upgraded to a Dillon 650. My Lee is still set up for small batch work, but my Dillon gets used for my cowboy addiction and I ain't looking back. If I was buying new, I would get the 750.

You took the words right out of my keyboard. :D

45 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The bottom line is that you should match your equipment to your needs. We should find that out before we tell them what we think they need.

Nailed it here.   Totally depends on your desires/needs.

Speaking for myself, I currently load with hand tools only (other than a Rockchucker press I use for .45-70 which i load very infrequently).    I reload basically as a hobby, because I enjoy it.

My post match process lately is as follows (mind you I shoot Frontier Cartridge, so all black powder):

Day of match: After the match, when loading the guns into the car, I spray them down with Ballistol.  All the spent brass goes into a jar of soapy water after each stage.   When I get home, the guns go into the safe (in their cases).   I rinse all the brass 3-4 times and then chuck them in the sonic cleaner for 15 minutes.   That night while my wife and I are watching TV I deprime all the brass.

Day after match:   I run all my brass through the sonic cleaner for another 30 minutes (usually two batches) and put them in the oven to dry.   Meanwhile, I clean all my guns.   That night while my wife and I are watching TV I bell the brass and reprime.

2 days after match:  I rebuild my shotgun shells, usually 20-35 shells.   I use all brass shells, so do this by hand.   This is usually a quick process, less than an hour.

3 days after the match:  I rebuild my pistol rounds - if I feel like it.   Typically every after every other match I make 250 rounds, takes me 2ish hours with the hand tools (give or take) since I've done' all the prep work previously.   Frequently I'll get into the groove and make more than 250 rounds.

Following this method, I generally have too much ammo - particularly since I'm constantly fiddling with my loads, I frequently have too many rounds made after I've decided I want to change the formula.

I try to shoot a minimum of 2 matches a month plus at least one live-fire practice session.  

Maybe I'm crazy, but I find the cleaning of the guns and assembling cartridges half the fun.   

Archived