SASS Wire Forum

Reloader Quick Poll

Shepherd Book

Several matches into our first season, I have concluded that the ol' trusty RCBS single stage press may not keep up with our new found need for .38 ammo.  What presses do you all use and/or recommend I look at (currently looking at the Dillon 550C for its versatility...).  Thanks!  SB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I only use the RCBS single stage press for all my reloads:   .32 H&R, 9mm, 10mm, .44 mag,  45 Colt, 460 Rowland,

.357 SIG, 45/70....... and many more thru the years.

..........Widder

I have a few LYMAN T-Mags.

I have added a few features that make them work faster.

They work great for SASS ammo.

I can load up to 350 per hours and I can see every charge level and "feel" every primer go in.

MG

I have two Dillon 550s.  One set up for .38 Spl. and one set up for Cowboy .45 Spl.  

I've loaded on a Lee Turret since '98 and it is great for quick caliber changes and small batches.  But a couple years ago I bought a used (from 2nd year production) Dillon 550 for .38's and boy do I like it.

Dillon Square Deal B for 38, 45acp,  45c,& C45S

I started with the Lee Turret (hate the powder drop), but upgraded to a Dillon 650. My Lee is still set up for small batch work, but my Dillon gets used for my cowboy addiction and I ain't looking back. If I was buying new, I would get the 750.

My old Dillon 550 is my workhorse.

For 35 years I've loaded on a Dillon 550B.  Last year it finally gave up and I sent it to Dillon... received a new 550C!   Love their no BS warranty!  I did keep the RCBS Jr II I had been loading on, and upgraded it to a Rock Chucker and donated my old Jr to my B-I-L for his reloading needs.

Running two Dillon 550s for 21 different cartridges. .32 to .45-70. I'll never own anything else. I do have a single stage for sizing bullets though.

Your wallet will influence what you buy and how many options you get.  Everyone has their favorites, I’m a Dillon guy if for no other reason then their warranty for life. IMHO at the very least you’ll need some sort of progressive press whether it’s manual or automatic.  A 550 is a manual progressive while the SDB and 650/750 are automatic.  There are other brands like LEE and RCBS that also have progressives, and there’s nothing wrong with them, like I said $$ plays into the decision.  If you do buy a used Dillon you can ship it to them and they’ll go through the entire machine, clean everything, fix anything and even set it up for whatever caliber you’re going to load.  I sent my used SDB to them and got back what looked like a brand new machine and it’s worked perfect ever since. 

Good luck on your decision making!

Dillon makes great products. A 550 is probably all you will need both literally amd figuratively.  It will cover your reloading needs and works well without added expense of a case feeder. A 750 is very nice but it really needs the optional case feeder to be optimal. 

Besides a small RCBS single stage press I also have a 550 that I bought used and I don't even know how old or what version it is. I am basically happy with it and it's more than sufficient for my ammo demand. I also like the manual indexing. BUT I wish it had a fifth stage. If you want to use a powder check you either have to seat and crimp in one step (and cannot use a factory crimp die) or you run them through a single stage press for the crimp. Although I have a nice LED lamp installed above the press which allows a very perfect look into the case, I prefer the powder check die because I don't trust my attention span to check 100% of powder drops.

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

I only shoot about 300/400 .38 spcl a month and a SDB is all I need.

I load my 45/70 on a turret press but I avg 25/40 a month of that.

Remember the SDB uses proprietary dies. 

IMO I'd spent a few dollars more and get the basic 550. That is a phenomenal loader and you can upgrade if your demand increases. 

I have a 550 and 2 650s. The 650s I now use solely for my CAS pistol and rifle as I stopped shooting other types of competition. The 550 I load most all the other stuff I play with. The 550 is really my favorite.  I also have an RCBS Rock Chucker for more precision stuff.

JEL

I stopped several times and spoke to many different people at the Dillon booth at the recent NRA convention. Obviously they recommended Dillon but I still got,several different answers from them for your question.

I left with the impression that the 550 was better if you were going to change calibers/dies frequently. The 750 was better once you got it fine tuned, but that took a while each time you changing dies.

Obviously everyone’s going to have different opinions, exact needs, footprint requirements (not to be overlooked), and price restrictions.

21 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

... The 750 was better once you got it fine tuned, but that took a while each time you changing dies...

Remove two pins and the rod to the powder measure. Slide out the tool die, slide in the tool did with the different caliber, place the two pins rod.  Done.  Three more steps if changing primer size.

Dillon 650, because it was given to me.

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Dillon 550 with plenty of primer pickup tubes.

IMO That's the worst part of reloading on the progressive. I specifically purchased 30 of those tubes that I'll load up all at one time. It takes awhile, but it lasts for several months of reloading sessions and I don't have to do it each time. I tried that auto tube loader and sold it pretty quickly. I found it to be a big PITA.

JEL 

Dillon 550. Just remember, the faster you make ammo, the faster you make a bunch of mistakes!

Archived