SASS Wire Forum

Sticker shock

Just got back from buying groceries. Sticker shock in seeing items increase in a week from. 38 cents to 79 cents more. Seen some steaks that looked good but at 24 and 27 Dollars, nope. This week we didn't buy everything we usually buy, and they were out of many things, yet our total was 23.72 higher then every total before. Since we use Credit Card, wife looked at our book were we note all our receipts, yes, this week is the highest since September of last year and we were buying New York Strip steaks back then.  Stopped at Sam's to fill up, 97.51.

I am spending as much on groceries just for myself as I did for two. :angry:

21 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Just got back from buying groceries. Sticker shock in seeing items increase in a week from. 79 cents to 38 cents. Seen some steaks that looked good but at 24 and 27 Dollars, nope. This week we didn't buy everything we usually buy, and they were out of many things, yet our total was 23.72 higher then every total before. Since we use Credit Card, wife looked at our book were we note all our receipts, yes, this week is the highest since September of last year and we were buying New York Strip steaks back then.  Stopped at Sam's to fill up, 97.51.

Yet both sides are so busy fighting each other, they can't see the "little guy" at all. They could care less anyway. Rich politicians don't care about how much anything costs just so long as they retain power and have a steady income...Let them eat grass...

Getting to the point where you buy what they got not necessarily what you want.  

At least there's no bread lines yet

1. This is the Utopia Antifa and a certain political party now in power wanted.

OR

2. This is what the corporations wanted so the government looks bad. 
OR

3. This is what the losing party wanted so the party in power looks bad so they will get voted out next election. 

Take your pick. It seems to depend on who you talk to. Me? I will go with 1.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

1. This is the Utopia Antifa and a certain political party now in power wanted.

OR

2. This is what the corporations wanted so the government looks bad. 
OR

3. This is what the losing party wanted so the party in power looks bad so they will get voted out next election. 

Take your pick. It seems to depend on who you talk to. Me? I will go with 1.

I pick all three

Unless the problem is rectified, there's no reason for them to not do it again this fall... and in 2024... and 2026... and 2028... 

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Plus Earl!

Maybe UB is just fattening Earl up?

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I am spending as much on groceries just for myself as I did for two. :angry:

My stepson has gone into residential care.  The wife and I are currently spending more for the two of us than we did when Brandon lived with us.  And he was a big eater.

Put gas in my Harley and my Miata MX-5.  It was $60 for just over 11 gallons.

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Regardless, THAT'S OVER! EVERYBODY GET OVER IT! What's important is what happens in November!  :excl:

No!

I usually take a small Jayco trailer to weekend shoots, leaving on Friday afternoon, but now, with diesel at around six bucks a gallon, I toss a sleeping bag in my car and either get permission to sleep in one of the range buildings or fold the seats down in my car and sleep there. F350 PSD gets 12 mpg or less, even with the little 14'er behind it, and my Honda Fit gets 40-42 mpg.

$118 or so for diesel for a 240 mile round trip vs. $28 or so for gas - ninety dollar savings every trip, and I normally do this three weekends a month = $270 savings every month.Jayco.thumb.jpg.94427c4be486c70e612cbc92526fff38.jpg

HondaFit.jpg

We can go a good long way in correcting this, this coming November, and again in 2024.

Every time I go to the gas station, or the grocery store, I just get madder and madder, all over again. 

That's a good thing. It keeps me motivated to vote this coming November. 

As a popular t.v. economist says, most every time he is on the air: "The Cavalry Is Coming". 

When we reach the end of the rope, we just have to tie a knot in it, and hang on.  

You guys ain't buying Building Back Better?

Oh yeah, uh, wait...

Groceries, that was the topic. I eat more hotdogs than real food these days. ;)

I remember when a 20 filled my truck's tank. This morning 20 got me about 4 gallons.

Thanks, Brandon.

13 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

I am spending x2 on what i spend groceries. I hope it gets worse maybe some people will learn now.

Yeah, but at least there are no more mean tweets now. ;)

10 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

80 million people voted for this.  Enjoy.

Did they really?

Really feels like the voting thing is a sham. Just a feel good measure for the peasants to think they have a say so they won't over throw the ruling class.

I have my doubts voting is real or that it really ever was. How would we know if the ruling rich class just picked who they wanted and not the votes? 

Prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Yeah, but at least there are no more mean tweets now. ;)

Thats because the current one thinks a tweet is what a bird does.

Think of the bright spot.  Things are going to get a lot worse so in six months you will look back at today's prices and think today's prices are a bargain.

14 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Unless the problem is rectified, there's no reason for them to not do it again this fall... and in 2024... and 2026... and 2028... 

might be the reason they don’t seem too worried about the unpopularity of their actions 

Local News had a piece on Independent truckers short and long haul that are turning down trips especially if they have to return empty because of Diesel Fuel cost and barely meeting costs afterwards on maintenance and insurance premiums, besides trying to make a living.

Just paid for a side of beef from a rancher friend, the whole averaged out $3.25 a pound processed.  Both freezers packed solid, and plenty to send home with the kids when they visit.  I haven't bought beef from a grocery or butcher shop in years.  It is a big check to write, at least for me, but worth it!  Anyone who lives in a rural or semi rural area can probably find a similar opportunity.

Northeast Georgia is supposedly the "Poultry Capital of the World", due to the large numbers of farms and processing plants.  For three weekends consecutively there was no chicken in the meat counter recently.  Now, there is but 4 boneless chicken breasts are ranging from $14 to $16 before tax.   Guess we may have to start considering all of Earl's (Bob's pet) cousins...

3 hours ago, Gracos Kid said:

Northeast Georgia is supposedly the "Poultry Capital of the World", due to the large numbers of farms and processing plants.  For three weekends consecutively there was no chicken in the meat counter recently.  Now, there is but 4 boneless chicken breasts are ranging from $14 to $16 before tax.   Guess we may have to start considering all of Earl's (Bob's pet) cousins...

Think maybe Bob's fattening them up???

Don't know about anyone else, but as a young man I shot and ate tree rats.  Three different recipes from current hunting magazines of the day, the best barely edible, and I've always been a decent cook.  You'd need to be HUNGRY!

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Don't know about anyone else, but as a young man I shot and ate tree rats.  Three different recipes from current hunting magazines of the day, the best barely edible, and I've always been a decent cook.  You'd need to be HUNGRY!

Nothing wrong with tree rat. Ate many a squirrel fried in a cast iron skillet, then make brown gravy out of the grease drippings smother and make cat head bisquits to sop it all up with. Mmm Mmmmm man is that good. Only thing better is the small critter list is rabbit cooked the same way.

21 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Nothing wrong with tree rat. Ate many a squirrel fried in a cast iron skillet, then make brown gravy out of the grease drippings smother and make cat head bisquits to sop it all up with. Mmm Mmmmm man is that good. Only thing better is the small critter list is rabbit cooked the same way.

Rabbit isn't bad at all.  Could be the diet makes a difference, mine were Yankee tree rats!

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Rabbit isn't bad at all.  Could be the diet makes a difference, mine were Yankee tree rats!

For me was more than likely the fact that momma was doing the cooking and she was the best when it came to rabbits and squirrels.

Rabbit's not bad at all as long as you don't overcook it which is fairly easy to do.

Archived