SASS Wire Forum

20 Gauge Loads

More than a few years ago, I loaded up some 20 Gauge shotshells to use in my Grandfather's Stevens pump gun.   I was using HS-6, and the bottle said to use 24 grains of the stuff in Magtech all brass hulls.  It was a very nice loading in my Grandfather's gun.

Today, I tried those same loads in my new (to me, it's actually 100 years old) Parker SxS.  Well, it was a real shoulder thumper.   Quite painfully so.   Question:  Anyone else load 20 gauge using HS-6, but at a reduced load that is less painful to shoot?  Or, can you recommend a different powder that does not recoil so hard?

HK, I'll share my experience with 20 ga.......maybe it will help, at least give you some more information. I switched to 20 a few months ago and in researching loads, I found that I needed a different powder from the Clays I was using in my 12. Problem was that I could not find a 20 ga powder.

Finally at my local gun/reloading dealer, I found a new-to-me powder - Winchester 572....listed as good for rifle, pistol and 20 ga shotgun. I have now been using it for maybe 3 months in my 32 H&R rifle (4 gr), 32 H&R revolvers (4 gr) and my 20 ga. shotgun.(AA hulls, win 209 primers, 7/8 oz shot, 16.8gr W572).....even some 9mm (4.4gr). All have worked fine for me. I do not have any specs, just a few hundred rifle and pistol rounds and a couple hundred shotgun. 

Regarding recoil - I don't think I am particularly sensitive to recoil, especially when shooting a stage, but my 20 definitely kicks more that the 12....maybe partly because the 12 has a recoil pad and the 20 does not. 

Hope this helps a little...maybe someone else has experience with the W572...or others as you asked.    

BTW - I too love the Parker SxS shotguns.....have a 16 gauge I like for hunting. 

I shoot and reload for both 12 & 20 gauge for Stoeger SxS shotguns. My wife also shoots a 20 ga. and is somewhat recoil sensitive. For her I load a 3/4 oz. load using 13.7 grains of Unique (#20 MEC bushing), CB1075-20 wads, and CCI primers. Neither she, nor my 9 & 11 year old grandsons, complain about recoil when shooting them. For me I load a 7/8 oz. load using 16.6 grains of WSF powder (#16 MEC bushing), CB1078-20 wads, and CCI primers.  I like that load very much.

1 hour ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I shoot and reload for both 12 & 20 gauge for Stoeger SxS shotguns. My wife also shoots a 20 ga. and is somewhat recoil sensitive. For her I load a 3/4 oz. load using 13.7 grains of Unique (#20 MEC bushing), CB1075-20 wads, and CCI primers. Neither she, nor my 9 & 11 year old grandsons, complain about recoil when shooting them. For me I load a 7/8 oz. load using 16.6 grains of WSF powder (#16 MEC bushing), CB1078-20 wads, and CCI primers.  I like that load very much.

Kaya uses this same Unique load but with 7/8 ounce of shot with STS hulls. 7/8 ounce with AA hulls. Very mild. I'll be trying some WIN 244 soon too. Less bulky than Unique but they say it's a similar burn rate. I wish there was more Unique on the market. When it comes back I'm going to cause a regional shortage.

18 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Kaya uses this same Unique load but with 7/8 ounce of shot with STS hulls. 7/8 ounce with AA hulls. Very mild. I'll be trying some WIN 244 soon too. Less bulky than Unique but they say it's a similar burn rate. I wish there was more Unique on the market. When it comes back I'm going to cause a regional shortage.

Yes you are correct you can use the same powder load for 7/8 oz. of shot. 

Archived