SASS Wire Forum

Question about bullets for long range shooting

Sedalia Dave

Anyone ever hear of modifying a cast bullet mold cavity to put an "Index" mark on the bullet? Idea being that the bullet would be seated into the brass case with a corresponding index mark so that all the bullets would have the same orientation.

In all the reading I have done that was published by recognized BPCR experts I have never encountered such. 

Here is the actual verbiage from an online article I read.

<quote>

High end meticulous bullet casters who make large lead bullets for long range black powder actually put a divet in the bullet mold near the point, so that there is a visible index mark on the bullet that can be lined up in the case and with the bore to reduce inconsistencies shot to shot. <end quote>

Personally I think the author is so full of crap that it displaced any gray matter he may have had between his ears.

I have a .308 caliber two cavity mold that the previous owner took a center punch to one of the cavities. The experts on Cast Boolites said some target shooters did that to identify which cavity the bullet came from.

I have read and seen on this board where precision shooters will mark the brass cases with a punch to make sure they always orient the case in the chamber the same each time. So, what you are saying would fall right in line with that thinking.

Or great psyop.

Competitor seeking an edge bumps his bullet and loses fractions of accuracy.

Hmmmm.

Probably one of the silliest things I’ve heard.  When I cast any visual imperfections go back into the pot.  Any weight deviations go back in the pot. 

Gringo

That came from the Black Powder Book from Steve Garbe, and Mike Venturino.

They recomend that after you cut the spue off the Mold.

Put a Little mark on the base of the Bullet.With a straightened paper clip.

Then mark the cases. When you seat the Bullet it will go into the Cases the same way.

With the cases marked, they go into the chamber the say way everytime.

That way if there is any imporfactions it will be going down range the same way everytime.

I shoot out to 1,500 yards and I'm not going to do that ...

I do sort bullets by weight though, and look for visible defects. 

Jabez Cowboy

Shooters have been marking their cast bullets and cases and indexing them in the rifles for  over 100 years.  If you have ever read "The Bullets Flight" by Dr. Mann written by Dr. Mann you would understand the importance of this. https://duienforcers.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/BulletsFlightPowderTarget_Mann_MunnCo_1909.pdf

He was friends with none other than Harry Pope and they worked together on the problem of rifle accuracy.  Schutzen shooters used this technique and still do to this day.  With all shooting it is all about consistancy shot to shot.  Man and Machine

Archived