SASS Wire Forum

Drawn for Maine moose hunt. Update! Upgraded to a remote area bull moose hunt!

I was drawn for an antlerless moose tag in Maine 4A. I buy these on lottery after reading residence waiting 30-40 years was real surprised this morning. Anyone from Maine know the area?

I guess they want out of state money and hope you use an outfitter and guide.

45 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I guess they want out of state money and hope you use an outfitter and guide.

Maybe but it’s strictly lottery up there resident or non with something like only 10% going to non. Odds are like 100-150,000 to 1 for non resident I believe

This is my second year applying.

Many here in Vermont have waited decades and are still waiting. I've applied twice and won both times! Got a nice 838# bull and a 595# cow. The bull was old and was delicious, the cow was much younger and was worse than eating a shoe. I firmly believe my meat cutter switched it up with one of his buddies. Only got 88# back.:huh:

13 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Many here in Vermont have waited decades and are still waiting. I've applied twice and won both times! Got a nice 838# bull and a 595# cow. The bull was old and was delicious, the cow was much younger and was worse than eating a shoe. I firmly believe my meat cutter switched it up with one of his buddies. Only got 88# back.:huh:

Your butcher shafted you. That happened to me, I got about 60 pounds from a cow elk.  I used a different butcher after that.

Better if you know how to butcher, even if you only half know.

back when I had a hateful part time or summer job, it was in a meat packing plant. Sometimes a carcass would come in, a deer or something, the butcher(s) doing it were the best available and they loved to do something different from beef cows, they were even qualified to do kosher. The customer got an almost fair deal.

after thinking about it, the mgmt cheated everybody so I would not be surprised if something went to Leo’s food locker.

Yep, my butcher sponsored a game dinner the following month that served moose. Hmmmm

I surely hope you get one. The memories will last forever. :D

I have been butchering my own big game for over 50 years. I do cuts that I want, not what the butcher wants. I usually don't do many roasts as game meat is really lean and has very low marbled fat. Also I grind my own burger, breakfast sausage and make brats & jerky. The main advantage is that I can control quality. Usually they throw in all the trimmings & fat, no matter what the quality is. Generally you get 30 to 40% of dressed weight, depending on the species you are butchering. 

Perhaps I can help, A good friend of mine runs Maine Whitetail Adventures and he has territories in both zone 4 and 8, Both he and his wife are liscenced Maine guides for Moose, bear, Deer, fishing and white water rafting, they also do grouse, they do both rifle and bow hunts, give him a call his name is Jason Lucarellie, phone is 207-265-6250 and the web sight is mainewhitetailadventures.com, Maine is Big and easy to get lost in if your thinking about a guide Jason has got some pretty good territory staked out and scouted, hope this helps

There ya go DDD, I can't beat that lead. Have fun. :D 

I listened to a NH F&G guy talk about new rules for moose hunting (again this is for NH ). Hunter could bring a non-permitted person along with him to help, either drive animal into a path or for hauling out of the woods, and if was the deep woods you were allowed to just bring the forequarters.

if it was a cow moose they ask that you bring the ovaries so they can record her age and number of times she had calved. (Guy in the back of the room shouted, “How do you know, it’s all guts?”)

rules have probably changed since then.

21 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I surely hope you get one. The memories will last forever. :D

I have decided on my sub-permitee: my 11 y/o. We'll take his 270 along. Honestly, I would get a bigger kick out of him shooting one than myself.

12 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Perhaps I can help, A good friend of mine runs Maine Whitetail Adventures and he has territories in both zone 4 and 8, Both he and his wife are liscenced Maine guides for Moose, bear, Deer, fishing and white water rafting, they also do grouse, they do both rifle and bow hunts, give him a call his name is Jason Lucarellie, phone is 207-265-6250 and the web sight is mainewhitetailadventures.com, Maine is Big and easy to get lost in if your thinking about a guide Jason has got some pretty good territory staked out and scouted, hope this helps

Thanks I will call him today!

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I listened to a NH F&G guy talk about new rules for moose hunting (again this is for NH ). Hunter could bring a non-permitted person along with him to help, either drive animal into a path or for hauling out of the woods, and if was the deep woods you were allowed to just bring the forequarters.

if it was a cow moose they ask that you bring the ovaries so they can record her age and number of times she had calved. (Guy in the back of the room shouted, “How do you know, it’s all guts?”)

rules have probably changed since then.

Vermont is the same on cows last I knew. The ovaries are relatively easy to find. They give you some good pictures to go by. Remember, parts are big on these creatures!!

I'll loan you my .375 H&H M-70 Winchester. Of course you'll have to take me too. ;) I remember reading a mag article on the .375 years ago. The author was showing the cartridges to the Eskimo guide who seemed quite unimpressed. He said very little during the hunt. Anyway, the author shot a big bull, and as soon as the rifle came out of recoil all he could see was four moose legs in the air. The guide commented "Dat tree seven five one damn sure fine good moose gun."

JHC

Hey Dan be careful about using a 270, I’m NOT sure about Maine but in Vermont you MUST use 30 cal or above for moose, I know for a fact in Vt you loose your moose, rifle and license plus the fine if you use less than a 30 caliber rifle, Jason will know for sure

I use a 30-06. My son uses a 270.

Maine only states no 17 or 22 caliber.

One guide I saw recommended no less than a 270 with 150’s

I will use a 30-06 with 180 partition 

• Dirty Dan Dawkins changed the title to Drawn for Maine moose hunt. Update! Upgraded to a remote area bull moose hunt!

Archived