SASS Wire Forum

Ammo Shortage

I now have another reason why I am having problems getting ammunition around here.

Just found out that the I.R.S. has bought $750,000.00 worth of ammunition, in 2022, so far. :blink:

And here I thought the only thing an I.R.S. employee needed was a calculator.

What is it now...pay up or we will shoot you? 

I am still trying to find primers around here. Makes one wonder why that is.

W.K. 

Every few years big ammo contracts are awarded by various Federal agencies. The shortage a few years ago was due to nearly all agencies creating contracts at the same time which I believe was orchestrated by the presidential administration at the time. I have no proof, it just seemed awful fishy at the time. 

The IRS has armed agents and apparently always has had, but quick internet research on the subject is plagued by polemical articles relating to the recent purchases, so what the overall history of IRS agents is, I don't know. But I assume armed LEO services in various federal agencies require ammunition.

As far as the general ammunition shortage is concerned, the huge frustration, for me at least, is the continued non-availability of revolver ammo. The shelves are full to overflowing of 9mm, every manufacturer, hundreds of boxes. The local Bass has mountains of-- get this-- .40 S&W. I asked the clerk why there is so much .40. He said, because nobody is buying it. Plenty of .380 and scads of .45 acp.

But revolvers? I find enough .38spl, in dribs and drabs. Absolutely no .357 or .44mag.  As for .44 Special I can only hope to ever see it again. Haven't seen .45 Colt for as long as I can remember. These are not orphan or rare calibers. Especially .357; there must be millions of .357 revolvers out there. I don't get why these are still not caught up, long after the semi-auto ammo shortage has gone.

Rifle? It's all there now in piles--except. Except for 30.06, of which I've finally seen a little bit. 30.30, the oldest of the deer rounds, iconic, ubiquitous: I see it extremely seldom, then only a couple of boxes. I always buy one if I see any. What gives? Nobody uses the Model 1894 or the 336 anymore?

So ends my rant.

Walmart had a nice sale on 180 gr 30-06 Core-Lokt at $18 per box of 20.
That has since gone up a bit, and become a bit more scarce.

Hornady #30702 SST in .308 remains scarce.

Primers remain as scarce as an honest politician.

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The IRS has armed agents and apparently always has had, but quick internet research on the subject is plagued by polemical articles relating to the recent purchases, so what the overall history of IRS agents is, I don't know. But I assume armed LEO services in various federal agencies require ammunition.

As far as the general ammunition shortage is concerned, the huge frustration, for me at least, is the continued non-availability of revolver ammo. The shelves are full to overflowing of 9mm, every manufacturer, hundreds of boxes. The local Bass has mountains of-- get this-- .40 S&W. I asked the clerk why there is so much .40. He said, because nobody is buying it. Plenty of .380 and scads of .45 acp.

But revolvers? I find enough .38spl, in dribs and drabs. Absolutely no .357 or .44mag.  As for .44 Special I can only hope to ever see it again. Haven't seen .45 Colt for as long as I can remember. These are not orphan or rare calibers. Especially .357; there must be millions of .357 revolvers out there. I don't get why these are still not caught up, long after the semi-auto ammo shortage has gone.

Rifle? It's all there now in piles--except. Except for 30.06, of which I've finally seen a little bit. 30.30, the oldest of the deer rounds, iconic, ubiquitous: I see it extremely seldom, then only a couple of boxes. I always buy one if I see any. What gives? Nobody uses the Model 1894 or the 336 anymore?

So ends my rant.

Go to any gun show or LGS and look at their wares. Gun shows = 98% semi auto black guns, both rifle and pistol. LGS's have a few used revolvers but they are relegated to the red headed stepchild display case and there is very little that is new. Semi auto pistols and rifles are rarely chambered in .38/357, 44 mag, .44 special or 30-30. I've been looking for a 10 shot .22 revolver for a while, no luck finding a decent used one and no one seems to make them except maybe Taurus, but I'll pass on Taurus.

Ammo seems to be coming back albeit slowly and prices are dropping a little.

Primers/powder seems to be coming back also, but in very small quantities and prices have not come down at all and I really don't think that they will.

Ammo is plentiful around here although it’s all 9mm, .223/5.56. There’s some.45 acp and .380 but really expensive. Primers are around too but double and triple what they were a few years ago.

90% of what I see is as you describe.

The revolver ammo I do find is still waaaaaaay over priced with 45 Colt being $1/round +.

I did see .357 mag ONCE. About 50 fifty round boxes. Price was $37/box at Bass Pro Cabelas. Sold quickly, have not seen it since. 

Lessee now: the IRS has agents with guns and if you don't pay your taxes they can come and arrest you and put you in jail and take your property.  Right?  That sounds like armed robbery to me.

Is that why IRS stands for Its Really Stealing?

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Lessee now: the IRS has agents with guns and if you don't pay your taxes they can come and arrest you and put you in jail and take your property.  Right?  That sounds like armed robbery to me.

Is that why IRS stands for Its Really Stealing?

Hey 4T, did you get your decal?

I watch the supply sites every day and if I see a bargain, I jump on it.
One seller on CalGuns is selling bricks of primers for $100, and the photo shows a price tag around $4 when sold new.

I found a case of SRP at $60/brick and figured it was a bargain in today's pricing.
It would be nice find the same for LPP, but they seem to be far more scarce.

I have a back order with Starline for 44 Russian brass, that is just under a year old now.
I can understand a limited production run on this obscure product, but the chronic Backorder of 44SP and 44 Mag still amazes me.

46 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yeah.  Didn't you get my message?

Tell me what I owe you and I'll get it in the mail ASAP.

Thanks.

4T

Nope never got the message! :) And you surely don't owe me anything, enjoy! :D:FlagAm: Just wanted to be sure the Pony Express didn't lose it, hah!

Archived