SASS Wire Forum

Close Quarters Combat

Subdeacon Joe

As much as a I hate to disagree with anything Marine this is way overly simplistic.  If you are in a knife fight (or any other kind) you had better be so practiced that anything you do is reflexive.  You won't have time to remember or think about all this fancy dancing around.  If you take the rime to think all of this over you're going to be too dead to regret it.

My Dad was a Marine and he had been in quite a few scrapes after leaving the Corps, which I won’t go into as he pretty much brought them on himself. 
He taught me to knife fight as a kid and he used some of training in the video. We used blunt sticks. Over the years he trained me off and on to fight and knife fight I came to a realization that I would prefer to shoot the knife fighter. My old man didn’t like handguns and never kept one in the house until I was a senior in high school. 
One day I made a wooden gun and stashed it until called upon to entertain my Dad and his buddies showing off my skills. The day came and my Dad’s buddies arrived and my Dad decided to show them how we sparred. I got my wooden knife and my wooden gun. 
My Dad and I faced off and pulled my wooden gun and yelled “BANG!” My Dad was not amused but his buddies were. :lol:

Luckily I have never had to fully utilize my Dad’s knife training but I have used it to run a couple of dirtbags off when they tried to mug me. Once at a bar a guy challenged me to a fight outside then pulled a spindly short switchblade. I guess he thought it would scare me. I pulled a 4” lock blade. He ran. I am glad he did. ;)

I learned to knife fight early on and practiced with rubber knives daily for years.  Never had to use it and I am now over forty five years out of practice, so I'm not adept enough to use a knife for much more than cutting food and trimming my finger nails any more.  

I learned how to throw a knife, too, but I gave that up when I saw a man catch a knife that had been thrown at him (real knife, classroom demonstration) and give it back to the thrower.  He said throwing away a weapon and possibly arming your opponent with it was "criminal foolishness".  

RIP MSgt Woolems

Our ren-faire leader was a combat soldier in Korea.
He told about being prepped for a mission, and having insufficient ammo.

He ordered double-edge axes for himself and his men.
He said they were some 3 days, hand-to-hand after the ammo ran out.

I’m a lover, not a fighter. ;)

At the beginning of the film (start at 1:04 minute mark), the narrator says the two men have been battling the sea for days.   Good that they had a razor and clippers to keep that clean shaven, fresh cut look of a real marine!  :P

5 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

At the beginning of the film, the narrator says the two men have battling the sea for days.   Good that had a razor and clipper to keep that clean shaven, fresh cut look of a real marine!  :P

....well, ...... they did have that one knife ......   :mellow:

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I learned how to throw a knife, too, but I gave that up when I saw a man catch a knife that had been thrown at him (real knife, classroom demonstration) and give it back to the thrower.  He said throwing away a weapon and possibly arming your opponent with it was "criminal foolishness".  

My Dad also taught me to throw knives. Not throwing knives, but hunting and kitchen knives. 
In the Navy I took Karate from a guy on my ship. He was a certified instructor of Shorin-Ryu karate. 
He pretty much said the same thing. “Do not throw away a perfectly good weapon. You are being taught to fight close. Do it!”

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

As much as a I hate to disagree with anything Marine this is way overly simplistic.  If you are in a knife fight (or any other kind) you had better be so practiced that anything you do is reflexive.

Ah!  But you have to start with simplest things.  "This is how you hold the knife." 

It's an introduction and overview, not a masters level class.

It’s just a training film. The actual training is done by real live, not always gentle,  instructors. ;)

Archived