SASS Wire Forum

Pistol grips

Guns Goforth

I have a question about pistol grip modification. So far as I can tell from the rules, and I may be wrong here,  you can put fatter grip stocks or plow grips on your pistols . I have a pair of new army Remington Pietta pistols and my hands don't fit them well, (fingers fall off the end of the gun). I looked for some extended/larger grips but can't find any. I decided to make an extension that fit the contour of the gun and then attach it with leather wrap. That was one modification I made to the gun.

The other modification was because my finger kept getting pinched by the trigger guard so I sanded down a leather cork and attached it using a leather wrap through the trigger guard and around the back of the gun.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Old_army_grip_mod.jpg

Texasgrips.com Has extended grips. 

- Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

- Revolver grips must conform to the front and rear of the grip frame but may extend beyond the bottom surface.

REF: SHB p.34 "Stocks and Grips"

Yes I read that-  my mod is pretty rough. Hard to make it conform to the shape. The block I cut was close to the right shape but by the time I got it on there it changed the shape. I guess I need to keep looking for some grips.  I wasn't really trying to create a target grip though just something that I could get my hand on.

1 hour ago, Guns Goforth said:

I have a question about pistol grip modification. So far as I can tell from the rules, and I may be wrong here,  you can put fatter grip stocks or plow grips on your pistols . I have a pair of new army Remington Pietta pistols and my hands don't fit them well, (fingers fall off the end of the gun). I looked for some extended/larger grips but can't find any. I decided to make an extension that fit the contour of the gun and then attach it with leather wrap. That was one modification I made to the gun.

The other modification was because my finger kept getting pinched by the trigger guard so I sanded down a leather cork and attached it using a leather wrap through the trigger guard and around the back of the gun.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Old_army_grip_mod.jpg

I have nothing to do with the rules but in my opinion that doesn’t comply with them.  I have been wrong before. 

Randy

Howdy

In my experience, the grip of a 1858 Remington Cap & Ball revolver is the worst offender of all single action revolvers as far as pinching or whacking your knuckle in recoil.

In this photo, notice how much less space there is between the trigger guard of the Remington at the top, compared to a Colt Single Action Army at the bottom. If you look carefully, you will see there is more space between the trigger guard of the Colt than with the Remington. That is the reason your finger is getting pinched in recoil when you fire your Remington.

pmEcnDB6j

The solution is actually quite easy, I discovered this many years ago. Do not try to cram your entire hand onto the grip. Instead, curl your pinky under the grip. That will move your hand down a bit on the grip, and will also open up more space between the knuckle of your middle finger and the trigger guard.

Try it. I have been shooting all my single action revolvers this way for many years, and even when firing a full house load of 45 Colt stuffed to the gills with Black Powder, which will recoil more than your Cap & Ball 44, my knuckle never gets whacked in recoil.

P.S. PaleWolf is the 'keeper' of all the SASS rules, and your modification goes a long, long way beyond being SASS Legal.

Sounds like you have big paws like I do. Try to handle some Colt clones with an Army size grip and a S&W copy of the #3 or Schofield. Those work a LOT better for me.

7 hours ago, Guns Goforth said:

Thanks for the tip Driftwood! I will give that a try.

DeaconKC  - sounds like something I will try - thanks!

Started looking at Ruger old army but out of the budget for now.

I don't know the seller but there is a pair of fixed sight ROAs still available in the classifieds at a very good price.

I have big hands too. When I buy gloves I always buy Large gloves.

Curling my pinky under the grip has been working for me for over 20 years, even with heavy recoiling 45 Colt Black Powder loads.

Notice how holding the revolver this way opens up about 1/4" of space between the trigger guard and the knuckle of my middle finger. My knuckle has not gotten whacked in years. And no, it is no problem hanging onto a heavy recoiling revolver with this grip.

pou0NbDlj

This works with the Bisely grip too.

pn5c2eRzj

A little bit problematic with a Schofield, because the reach for the thumb to the hammer spur on any of the S&W Number Three Top Breaks is farther than on a Colt. Trust me on this.

pmSXRUImj

18 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

The solution is actually quite easy, I discovered this many years ago. Do not try to cram your entire hand onto the grip. Instead, curl your pinky under the grip. That will move your hand down a bit on the grip, and will also open up more space between the knuckle of your middle finger and the trigger guard.

Exactly that. That's how I've always held my 58s and 75s. 

Another plus for curling the pinky under.  I also have large hands, and I just naturally grip the gun that way.   Happens automatically for me with Colts and Remingtons, I'd have to go dig up my guns with other grip shapes to see what happens with them.   Been a while since I shot them, so I don't remember what I do with them!  :)

FYI - Reply from Texas Grips RE - New Army Remington

Thank you for the inquiry and my apologies for the slow response.
Unfortunately, I only have patterns for the 1873 and the 1875/1890 at this time. I am working with EMF on getting patterns for the other Pietta models, but it will be a while before I have them ready for production.

Thank you,
Henry Lance
Texas Grips
361-549-9512

Archived