SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use Gun Tab for firearms purchase or payment?

portugeejn

I believe I have arrived at the time in life to start selling things, so they don't end up with my wife having to sell them, or going to folk that won't appreciate them.  Hence the question in the title.  Has anyone used Gun Tab for firearms purchases or payments?  It is my understanding that it is some kind of Escrow service, and their fees are 2.9% of the transaction. 

Until now I have just sold or purchased the odd item, but now it is time to start selling whole firearms.  I see all kinds of payment and receipt options that have been used such as USPS money orders, "discreet" PayPal, Venmo, etc., send me a check, and others.  I have used some of these for small item sales and purchases and they have worked fine, but to be perfectly honest, at this point in my life I can't afford to lose larger amounts that the sale of a firearm might bring. 

What do you all use to avoid the scammers that seem to be ever present on whatever board you may frequent?  If you don't want to give the bad guys ideas on how to get around, you can just send me a PM.   

Portugee John

Okay, first off "discreet" Paypal or Venmo for forearms themselves, leaves you with NO protection from scammers or loss in shipping. They will not help you and will freeze your account if they discover you have used it for a gun purchase or sale. Now, for firearm related property, say reloading equipment or parts, that is still okay with them.

Zelle is a wire funds transfer from one account to another. Set up a separate account for all your purchases or sales, so your main living account is not involved for your own protection. USPS Money Orders or Certified checks from banks are the safest, but make sure that the bank checks are legit. Your bank will be happy to verify accounts for this.

I would use GunBroker myself to list the gun and to administer the sale.  Educate yourself on how to do that (they have tutorial material on-line).   AND I would use a trusted local gun dealer or smith to ship guns through.   Yeah, you could save some money shipping yourself, but it's a big hassle tracking multiple transactions that may be occurring at one time, and it kinda locks you into being by your phone and ready to solve shipping problems all by yourself.  Make sure that shipper is willing to ship a gun within a few hours of when you drop it off - some seem to think they can "get around to it" in a week and also that the delay will make you (and the buyer) happy.  Be willing to "grease the skids" with that shipper so he is eager to see you come in the shop.  And make sure HE knows about shipping guns to other states.   Ship NOTHING to an out of country address, nor to military post addresses.

GunBroker will reach more buyers than just about any other listing service.  And they have pretty strong financial protection in place to guard against folks trying to run off with your goods.

Take nothing but USPS money orders, unless your shipper wants to offer to charge a credit card for your sale and cash-out to you (which I would doubt).

All the modern money transfer systems that I have investigated have BIG loopholes where it can look like you have been paid, but it falls through when it's time to get your cash.   There is NO guarantee on Zelle that you will get your money.   And certainly accept NO deals paid off with bit-type coins.

Sticking with just advertising on the SASS Classifieds will generally work especially for guns used in the sport.   But, even then, ask for Postal Money Orders.  If a feller can't get to the Post Office, he can't get to the Range to shoot that gun either.  And don't ship until you have the Money Order cashed.  There are a few even in SASS who are willing to shake your confidence in humanity.

good luck, garrisonjoe

DO NOT USE PAY PAL FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO GUNS

This includes brass, bullets, parts, gunsmith work, shotgun hulls, ammo and whatever other gun related item you can think of. They can freeze your account and seize the funds in your account and keep them as a "monetary fine" for selling forbidden items. 

Since Pay Pal educated me, at my expense, I only accept USPS money orders, bank certified check, credit cards, and checkes from people I have done business with before.

Gun Broker is probably the best to sell thru. 

Protect yourself, scammers and theifs are out there thicker than white on rice. 

I had a SASS member two years ago put something firearms related in the transaction comments after I made it perfectly clear not to and explained why. Luckily, PayPal didn't flag it but I really wonder how dense some folks are after that.

Archived