SASS Wire Forum

I miss the old Country and Western music that use to be.

Never COULD stand Whisperin’ Bill, but Ray Price and Charlie Pride made great music.  So did Tom T. Hall!! Marty Robbins was outstanding as a writer, arranger, and performer!

Johnny Cash was a different brand of Country and Merle Haggard was pretty good when he didn’t get political.

My band does a couple of Willy Nelson tunes and a Charlie Daniels number, even though we’re a Blues and Classic Rock band, ‘cause they’re just damned good music!

Most of today’s country music is just Lynyrd Skynyrd wannabe stuff.  They would be better served if they had chosen The Marshall Tucker Band’s example.

*my personal opinion*

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Never COULD stand Whisperin’ Bill, but Ray Price and Charlie Pride made great music.  So did Tom T. Hall!! Marty Robbins was outstanding as a writer, arranger, and performer!

Johnny Cash was a different brand of Country and Merle Haggard was pretty good when he didn’t get political.

My band does a couple of Willy Nelson tunes and a Charlie Daniels number, even though we’re a Blues and Classic Rock band, ‘cause they’re just damned good music!

Most of today’s country music is just Lynyrd Skynyrd wannabe stuff.  They would be better served if they had chosen The Marshall Tucker Band’s example.

*my personal opinion*

What's your take on Don Williams? Easy listening and songs with a story. He was also a song writer until he started singing.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

What's your take on Don Williams? Easy listening and songs with a story. He was also a song writer until he started singing.

I worked for a major entertainment transportation outfit for a number of years when we first put our band together.  Don Williams was a customer.  I worked on his bus several times and we talked often.  He played a number of the same venues as we did on the college fraternity circuit and shared a lot of stories.  He was a great writer and performer and a good friend.

Anybody that’s good enough to perform with and share music with Eric Clapton AND headline Country Music concerts is someone to respect and appreciate.

I listen to Sirius XM, and the Willie Nelson Classic Country channel has pretty much every country singer one can think of.  They have a couple of other country channels, but I haven't listened to them.  Lots of other channels with music from the '20s up to the present.  Great for listening when you're on the road.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

*my personal opinion*

I have to disagree with you i thought it was want to be rock & roll :lol::lol:

Modern Country is definitely not Rock and Roll of any era. I liken it to annoying repetitive whiney insect noise with a ton of S#** added for aroma and flavor. 

I have never been a big country fan but this new stuff since the 90’s is damned annoying. And it all sounds the same to me. 

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I listen to Sirius XM, and the Willie Nelson Classic Country channel has pretty much every country singer one can think of.  They have a couple of other country channels, but I haven't listened to them.  Lots of other channels with music from the '20s up to the present.  Great for listening when you're on the road.

Yeah, when we got the new car it came with a free Sirius trial for a year. Carol was going to cancel when it was up. But I said,”n

No. I’m addicted to it now”

Not many FM stations in range here.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Modern Country is definitely not Rock and Roll of any era. I liken it to annoying repetitive whiney insect noise with a ton of S#** added for aroma and flavor. 

I have never been a big country fan but this new stuff since the 90’s is damned annoying. And it all sounds the same to me. 

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Grew up listening to Country Western Music on my parents car radio. And "real" rock and roll from the 50's and 60's. I'm fortunate to be able to enjoy both. 

Todays "country" music is more "pop" music than country.

Today's "Country" music is more like rap, (the C is silent). I find myself rarely listening to the radio these days. I have a few older CDs from the 80s and 90s that I play. 

The late, great Slim Dusty, probably Australias' greatest Country performer, once commented that modern country was "just rock'n'roll in a cowboy hat" ....

........ I feel that I must agree with him.

These days we have country music ...... and we have Western music (the redheaded step-child) .....

country ain't been the same since it left Western behind  :(

3 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Don Williams has been my favorite country singer for decades.

36 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Today's "Country" music is more like rap, (the C is silent). I find myself rarely listening to the radio these days. I have a few older CDs from the 80s and 90s that I play. 

THIS ^^^^

When they started putting cRAP into the beet of hte music I stopped listening to most country stations.  Fortunately here we have a station that only plays Country music from the 70s and 80s and early 90s 

I don't like the new stuff. It's usually one verse repeated over and over, and the PHONY BALONEY Twany obnoxious over the top accents are just the last straw.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I like Cowboy Music.....Michael Martin Murphey style.

I've always liked Cowboy Music. He put on a show at one of our Annuals at 5-Dogs

image.jpeg

Aaron Tippin is a family friend.
When he comes to town, I am fortunate to have a full access pass to do his photo work from the back stage and front pit.
Aaron commented about life is hard for "traditional" country artists who refuse to do the "crossover" stuff.

I went to the local pro rodeo on Sunday, they played  the modern western songs with a lot of Garth Brooks over the PA when there were no events happening.  However, because they are young they played it at about 6000 decibels, I'm sure you could hear it two counties away.  I had to remove my hearing aids.

36 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

back it the 1970 s , we mixed country with southren rock , what we called hintky tonk sound 

played until the mid 1990s , in what was called the bar wars era , 

quit when everyone wanted CD perfect covers , not my style , hire a DJ , not a band 

Chickasaw Bill   

I never played in a country band.  I HAVE performed a country song or ten.  

I always gravitated to The Blues and the jam band stuff.  Folks expect you to give them your version of the song.  Sometimes it’s “just like the record” and sometimes it’s not, but it’s always what’s in your heart and soul.

We have a station here that plays the 50-60-70 -80 country music songs and very few of the new crap. Can’t stand Garth or shiny hat McGraw, station gets turned every time they come on. 

I was never a country music fan although there's some I like. Patsy Cline comes to mind. That's about it. I'm a jazz, jazz fusion, R&B fan. Country music is boring.

Today's main stream country just sounds over produced.  I prefer the sounds from the 50s/60s.  Recording technology was primitive compared to today, but they should did something right, regardless of what genre you listen to.

I tend to listen to stuff that falls into the 'alt country' catagory.

Just download the free Gimme Country app.

So you like both kinds of music: country AND western?

Try some outlaw country or red dirt stay away from bro country.

There are new performers out there who have A LOT of influence from the Hag or Willie or the late 70's early 80 artists. I occasionally get surprised when I hear a new guy that sounds like Ladoux.

Are they Bob Wills or Gene Autry. No. 

And I watched Austin city limits religiously. So I know Bob Wills is still the king.

Best advice is get off corporate radio and find a local station with local programmers 

I've never played with a country band.
However, I would be happy as a pig in a mud wallow if I could play upbeat banjo or electric bass with a swingin' country band.

For some reason, so many players forget the basic premise of a bar band:
Get folks moving, get folks drinkin' and get folks laid.
If the band accomplishes this, they get hired back again.

Archived