SASS Wire Forum

Heet question

Anyone have any experience with restoring gas in a fuel tank that has been setting for years...ie. water accumulated, etc.?

Snip-it_1655823994454.jpg.9f00d34bd67ffc9772c90061ecd7bbf7.jpg

Snip-it_1655824050113.thumb.jpg.629420951d2b4af5046e9e60da59b9c2.jpg

The HEET may absorb the water, but it's still there in the alcohol and will get pumped thru. Add a double dose of Star-Tron or Sea Foam stabilizer and you may get away with it. Best would be to drain it and refill with fresh fuel with the HEET added to get remaining moisture. JMHO

I recall getting myself home one afternoon (pre- fuel injection) by putting the nozzle of a propane torch down into the carb intake and opening the valve.  It got me about 7 miles, which was enough.  The Ford Ranger actually ran pretty well, considering. 

Years? No. I got nuthin.

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Best would be to drain it

23 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Dump that old gas

How and where?

One of my trucks has got, for lack of a better term, gasoline in it that's about 6 years old. I can squirt ether in the carburetor and get the truck running, but it won't continue to run.

Somebody recommended to me I get some large shallow pans, get the crapoline out of the fuel tank and leave it in the large shallow pans and let it evaporate. That would probably work, but with my luck somebody would throw a cigarette in it.

So assuming that I drained the old "gas" out of the tank, what can I do with it?

50 years ago you poured it on fire ant mounds. ReportedOR POURED IT in the fence row to kill the grass that was growing up in the chain link. People don't do that anymore.

Had to get rid of some old gas when Dad passed away after he had been ill for a couple of years.  I syphoned it into a cheap old gas can, and was able to take it to a local hazardous waste disposal site.  No problem.  This was a good number of years ago, but in a very "progressive: state.  Might work for you.  Haven't done this yet, but my mechanic says I can gradually blend in old gas, even 2 cycle, a couple of gallons at a time in a nearly full tank in my vehicle and it will run with no problem at all.

Best to drain it. Old gas can develop algae in it and it can be very difficult to keep it from gumming everything up after that.

Despite what you see in the movies, a lit cigarette will not set fire to a pool of gas.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

How and where?

One of my trucks has got, for lack of a better term, gasoline in it that's about 6 years old. I can squirt ether in the carburetor and get the truck running, but it won't continue to run.

Somebody recommended to me I get some large shallow pans, get the crapoline out of the fuel tank and leave it in the large shallow pans and let it evaporate. That would probably work, but with my luck somebody would throw a cigarette in it.

So assuming that I drained the old "gas" out of the tank, what can I do with it?

50 years ago you poured it on fire ant mounds. ReportedOR POURED IT in the fence row to kill the grass that was growing up in the chain link. People don't do that anymore.

You can bubble propane through old gas and restore the volatiles that evaporate off.  1/4 inch copper pipe mashed flat on one end and flared on the other to attach to your propane regulator.  Google it.

People don't do that stuff anymore cause the epa will get em and cities have detectors in the storm drains to detect that runoff. 

It's kinda like the military don't ask don't tell.   Use it to light a bonfire or sell it as discount gas at $2 a gallon

Sitting for years?  Drain tank and refill with fresh gas.  While building a hot rod, I filled the tank with gas just purchased from a local station.  Couldn't get it to run.  checked everything.  Was getting spark and gas.  Did everything I could to adjust timing.  It turned out to be bad gas, even though it was just newly purchased.  Only thing left was to drain the tank and fill with fresh gas from another station.  Fired right up.

Only thing worse than a tank full of bad gas sitting for years is a drained tank full of rust scale.

12 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Only thing worse than a tank full of bad gas sitting for years is a drained tank full of rust scale.

Very true.  If the project is worth it, might be worth investing in a new gas tank.  

Archived