SASS Wire Forum

Respect displayed

”Went for a quick bite to eat today, and while standing in line, I was asked by a large group of bikers to cut in front of them. I declined, but they insisted. As I made my way past them they all thanked me and shook my hand, each one introducing themselves. When I got to the front, they asked if they could pray for me. Said a quick prayer for me and I for them. They then tried to buy my lunch which I politely refused. Get to the counter to pay and the owner told me it was on the house. So I dumped all the cash I had in the tip jar. Was a nice change of pace to feel appreciated and respected instead of feared or hated. Thanks for making my day!!!

Snip-it_1655817054879.thumb.jpg.18ca6b7a78fe8fae68a294fd920b3097.jpg

”#JeremyLedford #TheButchersBBQWellstonOK

I've only had two encounters with bike gangs.

My wife and I were traveling to the east coast for new posting and had the kids with us.  We stopped for a night in some little no 'count town somewhere west of the Mississippi River.  Next morning I was loading the roof rack (remember them?) and tied off one end and tossed the rest over the roof.  Someone took up the slack and tossed it back.  I bent down to see who it was and the hairy face grinned at me.  We got it done and I walked around to thank the guy and down the hill below the motel were a whole herd of bikes, bikers, bikers' chicks, and a couple of kids.  They were packing up and we all left about the same time.  

They left pretty fast but an hour later we passed them where they were resting beside the highway.  We honked and waved and they waved back.  A bit later they passed us and the kids made a fuss and waved and yelled.  The bikers laughed, honked, and waved back.  Another hour down the road was a toll bridge and the gate keeper told us a whole mess of bikers had paid our fare and told the man at the gate to wish us good luck.

Another time we were living in Pekin, Ill on the north side of town.  Behind us to the north was a huge vacant lot and a half mile north of that was gigantic cemetery.  I got home from work one evening and my son came running in screaming about some one wanting to talk to me.  I walked out and another group about size of the one one that we had met seven years before was sitting and standing by their bikes by the road, and a young lady maybe 20-25 years old came over and said I was the only adult they'd seen here and could they spend a night on this lot.  I told her it wasn't my property but if they treated it well and didn't cause any commotion I figured it would be alright.

Next morning there was a knock on the patio door and this same lady was standing there telling me that they had "policed up" the area and had put their trash in the dumpster out by the road.  My kids came out to wave goodbye and the bikers revved their engines, honked their horns and yelled goodbyes.

Those two crowds pretty well destroyed the image of outlaw bikers in my eyes.

Bikers in general are good folks. When we traveled in herds, we helped quite a few car people on the side of the road.

Archived