SASS Wire Forum

10mm Performance data

Finally, I got the time and weather to do some good testing of 5 different 10mm pistols,

8 different load data, and 4 different barrel lengths.

Chronograph and Accuracy was done for each load listed.

Chronograph was set 8 feet from muzzle....... accuracy was at 25 feet.

Each pistol was rested for a steady support.

Temp was approx 85'ish and all testing was done in the shade of some big oak trees.

Pistols tested:  

1.  EAA Witness Compact.   3.6 inch barrel

2.  Springfield XDm.    3.8 inch barrel

3.  Springfield 'Ronin' 1911.    5.0 inch barrel

4.  Iver Johnson 'Eagle XL' 1911.    6.0 inch barrel

5.  Springfield 'Operator TRP' 1911.   6.0 inch barrel

Below are 8 different loads showing bullet weight and powder & charge data;

Out from each load data will be 5 Columns of numbers which show the AVERAGE velocity of that load for each pistol (column 1: EAA Witness;    column 2: XDm;

column 3:  1911 Ronin 5.0 inch barrel;   column 4: Eagle XL 6";   column 5: Operator TRP 6".

EAA Witness      XDm       'Ronin' 1911                  Eagle XL            Operator TRP

135 Sierra JHP

AA9   16.2 gr:                         1325                       1359        1440                                1522                      1539

150 Nosler JHP

AA7   12.7 gr:                         1307                       1331          N/A                                 N/A                      N/A

150 Nosler JHP

Power Pistol.  10.0 gr:       1309                       1367         1466                                1476                      1540

155 Hornady XTP

AA7    12.7 gr:                         1319                     1359          1437                             1471                      1489

155 Hornady XTP

Power Pistol  9.9 gr:           1244                    1277            1387                               1417                    1459

165 V-crown HP

LongShot. 9.5 gr:                 1223                    1237            1313                               1333                        1359

180 Hornady XTP.         

Blue Dot.  10.4 gr:                 N/A                     N/A           1236                             1268                        1296

180 Hornady XTP

LongShot.  9.4 gr:                N/A                      N/A.          1294                             1319                       1347

ASSESSMENT:

The shorter barreled EAA (3.6) and the XDm (3.8) suffered a little in accuracy,  especially considering target distance was only 25 feet and a rest was used.

The 5.0 inch RONIN and the Eagle XL & Operator TRP had very good accuracy with all loads.

Two different loads gave best accuracy with the RONIN:    165 V-Crown with 9.5 grain of Longshot AND 180 XTP with 9.4 grains of Longshot.

Best accuracy for BOTH the 6" Eagle and 6" TRP was the 180 gr XTP using 10.4 grains of BLUE DOT,  AND..... the 150 grain Nosler at an

impressive velocity average of 1540 fps using 10.0 grains of Power Pistol.  I would classify this particular load as a 'Decapitator'.

These loads can easily hit a snakes head at 25 feet.  A good shooter could blow their fangs out of its mouth if it would hold its jaws open

long enough.

ALL pistols functioned flawless.   No jams, misfeeds, etc....    And, no screws loosened nor did any sights shift during all the firing.

Thanks to Lumpy for sharing the BLUE DOT load information with me a couple years back.

Blue Dot is a good powder for the 10mm and gives consistent accuracy.

EDITED (Tuesday night):  I forgot to mention the recoil systems on my 1911's for hot 10mm rounds.

All three of the 1911's use the "Tuffer Buffer" recoil springs from '460 Rowland'.   These are basically the same

Flat-Wire springs sold by Wilson Combat.

My 5" Ronin uses a 24 lb. Flat Wire spring cut to 30 coils in length.  At the rear section of the spring,

a 20 lb. Flat Wire spring (cut at 10 coils) has been intertwined to give extra strength to this spring during recoil and slide reset.

ALSO, I use a Wilson recoil "SHOK" buffer.

On the 6" TRP and Eagle XL, I use an UNCUT 24 lb. recoil spring along with an intertwined 20 lb. Flat Wire spring

cut at 10 coils.  And, I use a Wilson recoil "SHOK" buffer in both 6" pistols.

These spring systems work great in my 1911's and the tension of these springs allow the slide to recoil & reset

with enough force to function reliably yet the SHOK buffers show only a some minimal markings of the slide slamming

against the barrel lug during harsh recoil.

These spring systems can be purchased thru Wilson Combat or 460Rowland.

..........Widder

For those of you looking at this on a smartphone, turn your phone sideways so you can see it. ;)

Thank you Widder. :)
I have been curious about 10mm and a new gun to shoot it, of course. ;)

I belong to a shooting range that rents guns. As soon as they get some 10mm ammo in I plan to rent one of there 10mm pistols and try it out. They won’t let you shoot their guns with ammo brought in even if it’s factory ammo. 

My issue is that I don’t think my right wrist will not like the recoil of a semiauto in 10mm. I will not buy one without trying one out first. I can handle .357 recoil pretty well from a revolver, but I think the recoil of the 10mm along with the added forces of the slide movement may not be a comfortable thing for me. 

I have an Iver Johnson 10mm 6inch bbl. I really didn't think with the limited amount I have used it...that recoil was really any worse than my 5 inch 45 acp.I actually thought my Glock 35 with a 357 sig bbl had more snap.

Greybeard,

I agree.

PAT,

Just my opinion, but stay away from compact size pistols and do your best to try a 1911 style in 10mm.   

Honestly, and my friends will tell you that I say this often, I enjoy my 5" Springfield 'RONIN' model 1911 in 10mm as much as any

Pistol I've shot.    I've even shot the big and heavy SIG P220 in 10mm and thought it was not as easy to handle as the 1911 model pistols.

The 1911's just seem to handle the 10mm very well and are not intimidating to shoot.   I shot about 150 'hot' rounds yesterday and DID NOT

develop any kind of flinch.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Remember that Colonel Jeff Cooper was the originator, initially for the Bren 10.  Then after the Miami Shootout, the FBI picked it up.  Along the way the cartridge was souped up a bit.  The intention was to have the optimal pistol for law enforcement. FBI retained it for HRT and SWAT only, they felt it was too much for many regular agents.  Designed to be a sure man stopper, it will perform best in a full sized Auto pistol or revolver.  These are favorites of some folks who spend time in Grizzly country.

I've only messed with 10mm once back in the early 90s. Training a swat team and they had brand new MP5 sub machine guns in 10mm. A lot more gun than the 9mm MP5s we had at the time. Good times.

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Remember that Colonel Jeff Cooper was the originator, initially for the Bren 10.  Then after the Miami Shootout, the FBI picked it up.  Along the way the cartridge was souped up a bit.  The intention was to have the optimal pistol for law enforcement. FBI retained it for HRT and SWAT only, they felt it was too much for many regular agents.  Designed to be a sure man stopper, it will perform best in a full sized Auto pistol or revolver.  These are favorites of some folks who spend time in Grizzly country.

The police in Norway all carry the Glock 20 in 10mm for polar bear encounters. The 10mm is more comparable to .357 than higher caliber rounds (depending on who is doing the testing) but when you have 15 on tap versus 6 - .357 Magnums in a revolver it tends to be a very viable option. 

6 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Good info Widder. You need a raise. How's 10% sound?

If I had tested a few .44's, would you have given me a 44% raise?

..........Widder

20220609_124203.thumb.jpg.cfb066d5fd62d166a827926875d076e7.jpgExcellent to see some other 10mm fans, I love mine....I just got the Sig 320X 10...10mm, 16rds, totally reliable with underwood, Buffalo bore, sig, fed and my own reloads. Very happy so far with it. Easily outshoot both my glock 20 and M40 long slide. As good as my elite operator 1911 with twice the ammo.

Too All the above posters:

I've edited my original post to include information about my spring system that helped with consistent and reliable

function of my 1911 slide recoil and slide reset.

Proper spring setup can go a long way to enhance reliability and shooter enjoyment.

Hope all this information helps.

..........Widder

5 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... have any of you nice folk seen my 10mm socket ....... ?  :huh:

Probably in my tool box.   Seems every nut/bolt on a Toyota is 10mm.

:lol:

..........Widder

I EDC the Smith m&p 10mm. Bought it before the SIG came out. Before that I had a Tanfoglio full size 10. All steel. Had some hot loads for that. Taken many hogs and deer with it. 

Recoil seems to me that hot .357 has more recoil then 10mm. But I am young and shoot for a living so I may just not notice it anymore.

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Too All the above posters:

I've edited my original post to include information about my spring system that helped with consistent and reliable

function of my 1911 slide recoil and slide reset.

Proper spring setup can go a long way to enhance reliability and shooter enjoyment.

Hope all this information helps.

..........Widder

That's what you call "money" right there.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

That's what you call "money" right there.

A number of my test guns have been borrowed from 'well-to-do'  friends who like for me to help set up their

rifles and pistols..... and establish good reloading data specifically for their gun.

Heck, just yesterday a good friend is gonna bring me his new .223 Remington varmint rifle w/10X scope to site in.   He's even gonna supply

the ammo, of which some of it will be expended on some ground hogs and unsuspecting coyotes and crows.

..........Widder

11 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

20220609_124203.thumb.jpg.cfb066d5fd62d166a827926875d076e7.jpgExcellent to see some other 10mm fans, I love mine....I just got the Sig 320X 10...10mm, 16rds, totally reliable with underwood, Buffalo bore, sig, fed and my own reloads. Very happy so far with it. Easily outshoot both my glock 20 and M40 long slide. As good as my elite operator 1911 with twice the ammo.

Dangit.... time to go shopping again :)

29 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

A number of my test guns have been borrowed from 'well-to-do'  friends who like for me to help set up their

rifles and pistols..... and establish good reloading data specifically for their gun.

Heck, just yesterday a good friend is gonna bring me his new .223 Remington varmint rifle w/10X scope to site in.   He's even gonna supply

the ammo, of which some of it will be expended on some ground hogs and unsuspecting coyotes and crows.

..........Widder

Make sure to pop all the crows you can. Planted row after row of corn this year. I have zero stalks left. I do have a few good crow feet and a good bleached skull to decorate with now though....

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Make sure to pop all the crows you can. Planted row after row of corn this year. I have zero stalks left. I do have a few good crow feet and a good bleached skull to decorate with now though....

When I have an encounter with a crow, ain't no skull left to bleach!

:lol:

..........Widder

Archived