SASS Wire Forum

SOLD, RARE, S&W, THIRD MODEL, .38

S&W DA, Third Model, REVOLVER, NICKEL PLATED, 5” BARREL, S/N-232364,1ST PAT. 7-11-1865, LAST PAT. 7-3-1882. Caliber .38 short CONDITION:Like NEW, $550. PLUS SHIPPING TO YOUR FFL If anyone out there could determine the year this gun was built by the s/n  it would tell whether it needs to shipped FFL or not.

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

IMG_4097.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson the S&W .38 Double Action serial numbers 119001 through 322700 were produced from 1884 through 1895, making this a genuine antique in accordance with BATF rules.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Ronnie Miller said:

1965 & 1982 ARE CORRECT.

Is this relatively new?

Or a beautiful antique?

17 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Is this relatively new?

Or a beautiful antique?

It's not new, pre 1900 for sure.

Since it has the 2 place year digits, and it looks so new, I assumed they were 1965 & 1982, when in reality they were 1865 & 1882.

It is a super nice pistol. Doc Holiday & Bat Masterson both carried small pistols like this, maybe one of them carried this one?????

Measure the barrel from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle so we can see if it qualifies for a pocket pistol for Side Matches.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Miller said:

It's 4 15/16 inches, exactly.

Okay, it will be a great shooter, but an inch too long for Pocket Pistol side matches. Wish I had the gold right now for it.

Weee bit too long for pocket pistol matches, Dang it.

2 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, it will be a great shooter, but an inch too long for Pocket Pistol side matches. Wish I had the gold right now for it.

You beat me to it

On 6/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, Tennessee williams said:

I have an Iver Johnson that somebody cut barrel off to about 1.5 inches. No longer gas a front sight, but at PP distances really doesn’t latter.  It’s one of my favorite pocket pistols.  
if someone really wants a pocket pistol this would likely be a good one. But would have to lop a few inches off the barrel. 

54 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I have an Iver Johnson that somebody cut barrel off to about 1.5 inches. No longer gas a front sight, but at PP distances really doesn’t latter.  It’s one of my favorite pocket pistols.  
if someone really wants a pocket pistol this would likely be a good one. But would have to lop a few inches off the barrel. 

Little too much money for one you're gonna chop on though.

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

If it lasted over a hundred years as a good hard five incher, I would hate to lop some off once it has passed its prime.

If a collector wanted it for a collection, it would matter; but if someone wanted to use it as a backup carry, as a keeper, it wouldn't matter, especially for that low a price. 

It would be a very unique, useful pistol if it the cutoff was done right.

As it is, there is no practical use for the gun. It has no real collector value. Very unlikely anyone would want it for a carry gun. 
it would make a good pocket pistol if the barrel were shortened. The price for a good pocket pistol is reasonable. If I was in the market for another PP I would give this one a hard look. If it is truly “like new” with very little wear it would be a good choice. I dont know seller or the specific gun, but this model does make a good pocket pistol. 

For the record, I have a Colt Lightning with a 4 1/4” barrel. Not PP legal, but does have collector value, so I would not cut it. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

As it is, there is no practical use for the gun. It has no real collector value. Very unlikely anyone would want it for a carry gun. 
it would make a good pocket pistol if the barrel were shortened. The price for a good pocket pistol is reasonable. If I was in the market for another PP I would give this one a hard look. If it is truly “like new” with very little wear it would be a good choice. I dont know seller or the specific gun, but this model does make a good pocket pistol. 

For the record, I have a Colt Lightning with a 4 1/4” barrel. Not PP legal, but does have collector value, so I would not cut it. 

Hey Hoss, I've sure been wrong before but I thought ALL lightnings were legal since that model is specifically called out in the SHB as being legal. Be a good clarification for PWB on the wire to make sure. I don't have one but I'd like one.

6 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Hey Hoss, I've sure been wrong before but I thought ALL lightnings were legal since that model is specifically called out in the SHB as being legal. Be a good clarification for PWB on the wire to make sure. I don't have one but I'd like one.

Legal as long as 4” barrel or less. Most I have seen have them 4 1/4” barrel. I’m sure many have been used in side matches with illegal barrel. 
personally I would not use a lightning in a side match, even if barrel was short enough. The action is just too delicate. You go yanking that trigger 5 times in <1.5 seconds and it won’t last long! 

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Legal as long as 4” barrel or less. Most I have seen have them 4 1/4” barrel. I’m sure many have been used in side matches with illegal barrel. 
personally I would not use a lightning in a side match, even if barrel was short enough. The action is just too delicate. You go yanking that trigger 5 times in <1.5 seconds and it won’t last long! 

I have to wonder why they would call them out specifically as legal if they still had to meet all the stipulations as other manufacturers. There has to be a reason. @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495Lprobably knows right off the top of his head why.

2 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I have to wonder why they would call them out specifically as legal if they still had to meet all the stipulations as other manufacturers. There has to be a reason. @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495Lprobably knows right off the top of his head why.

Will wait for PWB to chime in. 

and Ronnie, sorry your post got highjacked, but at least you got a lot of bumps out of it!

looks like a fine pistol, I hope you find a buyer. . 

Posted 17 DEC 2018:

The issue of the legality of the COLT MODEL 1877 DA revolver (in all 3 chamberings) for pocket pistol sidematch use has been resolved by a majority vote of the SASS Range Operations Committee (ROC).

The consensus is that models with a <4" barrel are SASS-LEGAL "Pocket Pistols"

NOTE: This ruling does NOT apply to the following revolvers:

The Cimarron "New Lightning" (a reduced size Model "P" with the 1877-style grip/frame)

The Cimarron "New Thunderer" (a full-sized Model "P" with the 1877-style grip/frame)

The Colt Model 1878 (a large-frame DA revolver)

...all of which are precluded under current rules due to frame design and/or size.

10 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Posted 17 DEC 2018:

The issue of the legality of the COLT MODEL 1877 DA revolver (in all 3 chamberings) for pocket pistol sidematch use has been resolved by a majority vote of the SASS Range Operations Committee (ROC).

The Cimarron "New Lightning" (a reduced size Model "P" with the 1877-style grip/frame)

The Cimarron "New Thunderer" (a full-sized Model "P" with the 1877-style grip/frame)

...all of which are precluded under current rules due to frame design and/or size.

Thanks PWB! Knew there had to be a reason for calling them out specifically. I'll be on the lookout for one!

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Posted 17 DEC 2018:

Good info, Thanks

Have you slugged the barrel? I’d be interested but 38 Short covers a lot of territory with bores of .357, .361 and .375. There is a 38 S&W, sometimes called 38 S&W Short and 38 Short Colt. The Colt was originally .375 bore that shot a heeled bullet and later loaded with inside lubed bullet of .358 diameter which was the parent of the 38 Long Colt and 38 S&W Special. I think I’m correct on this, others more knowledgeable might chime in and correct me if wrong.

Driftwood you out there?

7 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

Have you slugged the barrel? I’d be interested but 38 Short covers a lot of territory with bores of .357, .361 and .375. There is a 38 S&W, sometimes called 38 S&W Short and 38 Short Colt. The Colt was originally .375 bore that shot a heeled bullet and later loaded with inside lubed bullet of .358 diameter which was the parent of the 38 Long Colt and 38 S&W Special. I think I’m correct on this, others more knowledgeable might chime in and correct me if wrong.

The guns were chambered for the .38 S&W, not the .38 S&W Long and not the .38 S&W Special (.38 special), nor the .38 Short Colt.

Id bet my hat it’s 38SW. 
FWIW, I load all my 38SW with my 105 grn .357 bullets. They may rattle a bit going down the tube but at PP distances they are fine. 

Archived