SASS Wire Forum

FOR SALE, ARMY Issue, COLT .45 Long Colt, MODEL 1917

COLT, U.S. ARMY ISSUE, Pistol, MODEL # 1917, S/N-114434, WITH "NEW" FACTORY LONG COLT CYLINDER, PAT AUG 5 1884, JUNE 5 1800, JULY 4 1905, COLT D.A. 45 LONG COLT AMMO, DBL ACTION, 5 1/2” BARREL, Cylinder arm has 222245-3088 stamped on it; this tells you it's a Long Colt conversion cylinder. CONDITION-VERY GOOD, $700. + SHIPPING to your FFL,  GUN LOCATED IN FLORIDA

Most of these were built .45 ACP, but a Long Colt change over cylinder was also built by Colt for this Gun. Tight Gun, and It shoots GREAT! " A Great Cowboy Gun.

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3964.jpeg

IMG_4145.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

Ronnie,

I think every one is hinting at caliber conversion. I have a 1917 colt. There is a gap in between the the fixed recoil shield and the cylinder of.09”. It doesn’t look like yours accommodate a half moon clip. Maybe my gun is the odd one.

Have you tried it with the half moon or full moon clips? Does it have board through chambers or 45ACP chambers?

i’m sorry about this stuff,

Uriah

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Serial number dates to 1916.  So it is most likely a 45 Colt cylinder that may have been shaved to accept clips.

The butt number on a Colt 1917 is the US Arny number, NOT the serial number. Colt put their serial numbers on the frame, behind the crane. 1917 serial numbers were included in the New Service SN range. The SN on the range and the Army number on the butt will not match. S&W assigned a separate serial number range their 1917 production and the butt number on a S&W 1917 IS the serial number. Besides, in 1916, there was no 1917 production.

Judging by the narrow cylinder/frame gap and the color of the cylinder, it appears a .45 Colt New Service cylinder has been mated to a 1917 frame.

7 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

The butt number on a Colt 1917 is the US Arny number, NOT the serial number. Colt put their serial numbers on the frame, behind the crane. 1917 serial numbers were included in the New Service SN range. The SN on the range and the Army number on the butt will not match. S&W assigned a separate serial number range their 1917 production and the butt number on a S&W 1917 IS the serial number. Besides, in 1916, there was no 1917 production.

Judging by the narrow cylinder/frame gap and the color of the cylinder, it appears a .45 Colt New Service cylinder has been mated to a 1917 frame.

Didn't even pay attention to the number on the butt.  Was going on the OP's statement of what the serial number is.  

34 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Didn't even pay attention to the number on the butt.  Was going on the OP's statement of what the serial number is.  

The SN that he posted is the Army # on the butt, looking at his first picture.

It gets confusing, fer sure. I'm on the S&W forum and on the Colt forum too. For years, S&W stamped an assembly number on the frame, behind the yoke, to keep all of the major parts together during the build. Many folks have mistaken that number for the SN.

BTW, crane=Colt, yoke=S&W. :)

42 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

The SN that he posted is the Army # on the butt, looking at his first picture.

It gets confusing, fer sure. I'm on the S&W forum and on the Colt forum too. For years, S&W stamped an assembly number on the frame, behind the yoke, to keep all of the major parts together during the build. Many folks have mistaken that number for the SN.

BTW, crane=Colt, yoke=S&W. :)

Pawl vs Hand :)  They all give the parts their own names.

• Ronnie Miller changed the title to FOR SALE, ARMY Issue, COLT .45 Long Colt, MODEL 1917

Archived