SASS Wire Forum

CCI 209 Shotgun Primers , Any problems with them

I've shot about 800 of them that were given to me. When using my double, the one I've been shooting for years and years, which has been lightened, it didn't have any issues setting them off. I can't say how they are in the 97s nor about any long term as I only had a partial box. I've never actually purchased them. 

JEL

I bought some on sale from Sportsman’s a few years and loaded them in BP shotgun shells.  There have been no failures to fire in two different Stoegers and my CZ Sharptail.  I currently load Cheddites because they are available but would buy CCIs again.

Current CCI 209's might be lighter than in the past, as their pistol / rifle primers are now.  But I have used up 500 or so CCI 209's that were my brother's from 30 or 40 years ago and they were fine in all my shotguns.

So CCI  small pistol are lighter now ? 

52 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Current CCI 209's might be lighter than in the past, as their pistol / rifle primers are now.  But I have used up 500 or so CCI 209's that were my brother's from 30 or 40 years ago and they were fine in all my shotguns.

32 minutes ago, Arcadia Outlaw, SASS 71385 said:

There have been many reports of this.  Right now I am using CCI #400 small rifle primers (because they were available), a tad harder than federal small pistol, but working fine in my guns (avoid small MAG rifle primers, they are harder).

47 minutes ago, Arcadia Outlaw, SASS 71385 said:

AO,

Supposedly they claim they are, we tried the newer CCI small pistol primers in 3 of our rifles and had a number of failure to fires.  One of our friends had no issues in either her pistol or rifle and another friend had issues with his rifle but not pistols.   All guns have been tuned, but not all by the same gunsmith.  So it's more or less dependent on your guns.  At least that's been our experience.

Roper

When I tested the CCI srp in my guns, the rifle popped them but had lighter hits than the pistols, so I cranked up the strain screw about 1/4 turn and no problems.  My guns are tuned but not "super light".  I tried out some Argentinian Ginex small rifle primers and had to crank up the strain screw another 1/4 turn.   I would always suggest to try out any "different" primers by priming some empty cases and testing in your guns, comparing the primer hit to your preferred primers.

A year and a half ago, with the primer situation getting worse and worse, I finally bought the last 1700 CCI 209's on the shelf at the local Walmart. No problems with them, but why would there be? "Primer problems" are almost ALWAYS "gun problems", with folks de-tuning springs to the point they are no longer 100% reliable. I find it impossible to believe there is such a wide dependability gap between primers A, B, C, and D being unreliable and primer E being 100% reliable that a gun can be infallibly and repeatedly detuned to that point, aka "primer specific".

I think it was Doc Shapiro who said a tuned gun and a primer specific gun are not the same thing. A tuned gun will feel smooth and light, yet work reliably with any brand of primer.

I was able to obtain a bunch of the CCI small pistol primers last month. I have found that they all fire fine in the rifle, but they do not always go bang in my pistols. I had Roughneck Rod's springs in them, but those may have been getting a little tired so I went up to a brand new set of Wolff 17#  and then the 18# and although it was better with each up step it DID NOT fix the issue and I have had several stages that I had to do the round and round the cylinder to get all 5 shots off out of both guns. I went back to the Federals and have had no issues. I have decided that I will continue loading the pistols with my Federal's and keep the CCIs for the rifle and practice only. 

JEL

I bought 1K of the CCI shotgun primers when I found them in stock on MidwayUSA about 6 months back and have shot about 400 of them in my FE SKB with no FTF.

Kajun

Archived