SASS Wire Forum

When is a shotgun NOT a shotgun?

I like the original Ithaca Model 37 because it too can be slam fired and loads and ejects from the bottom...ideal for right or left handed shooters.  It's also one of the slickest pump gun actions ever.

38 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I like the original Ithaca Model 37 because it too can be slam fired and loads and ejects from the bottom...ideal for right or left handed shooters.  It's also one of the slickest pump gun actions ever.

I read the troops didn't like the 37 because you couldn't load one in the chamber if you were in a hurry.

7 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I read the troops didn't like the 37 because you couldn't load one in the chamber if you were in a hurry.

I never hears that.  Some LEOs didn't like them because if you were running the gun really fast the empty round being ejected would hit the front arm of the shooter and slow things down.

Went through a few cases of ammo at the Seal Beach Rod and Gun range, along with some other shooters, and could never run the gun that fast.

12 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

These are not shotguns.  They are firearms (by ATF definition).  Mossberg Shockwave, Remington Tac 14 (and the Tac 13 as well).

Lawman is right-on.  The guns he mentions do not meet the definition of a "shotgun" by the National Firearms Act of 1934... nor are they considered handguns or pistols.  Therefore, the firearms referenced by LM are labeled... non-NFA firearms.

15 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

there was a remington model as well , dont recall the number but it had a wood top handguard , 

6 hours ago, Sundog said:

Lawman is right-on.  The guns he mentions do not meet the definition of a "shotgun" by the National Firearms Act of 1934... nor are they considered handguns or pistols.  Therefore, the firearms referenced by LM are labeled... non-NFA firearms.

NFA Does not define shotguns.

GCA also does not define shotguns.

ATF came up with their own definition of a shotgun a dozen or so years ago, when pistol grip shotguns started becoming popular. They decided that a shotgun with a pistol grip was not a shotgun, so you couldn't buy it at 18 like you could a shotgun or rifle. They decided you had to be 21. They came up with this idea all on their own. Just one more attempt by ATF to screw the American shooter.

And this came back to bite them two or three years ago when Mossberg invented the shockwave. "Well hell, if a shotgun that doesn't have a buttstock on it is not really a shotgun, then we don't have to abide by that stupid '18-inch barrel' regulation. ATF screwed themselves on this one, and we're going to take advantage."

Archived