SASS Wire Forum

[SOLD] New Original Henry 1860 Rifle

The New Original 1860 Henry Rifle made by Henry USA. 45 Colt. Lifetime guarantee and impeccable customer service as always from Henry. I finally took this little beauty to the outdoor range and ran exactly 20 rounds through her. As expected, she shoots soft and sweet! Box, papers, etc. Beautifully figured wood. $2000 SOLD @ $1700

Payments are flexible — PayPal, Zelle, bank transfer, cryptocurrency, USPS money orders (max $500 per order, please), or cash (face-to-face) only.

Free shipping from my FFL (City Arsenal in Greenville, SC) to your FFL.

Please feel free to ask questions. Happiness guaranteed.

W.B.

HenryUSA18601-1500px.jpg

HenryUSA18602-1500px.jpg

Holy cow! I thought this was a $2400 rifle. I didn't check its MSRP ($2720) until AFTER I posted this sale price. That said, I'll still honor the price of only $1700 through the weekend. Come Monday, she's a sweet $2700 wall hanger / safe queen. :)

W.B.

Historically, yeah, but if you're already sporting 45 Colt in your revolvers, then a rifle in the same glorious caliber makes good sense, IMHO.

And yes, the stock is amazing. It's the one factor that makes me hesitate when I think of selling the rifle. I'm not confident that I'll get lucky enough to find a similarly figured wood again, should I ever decide to buy another one. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

W.B.

5 hours ago, cowrustler said:

Me too. A Henry in .45 Colt just doesn't seem right, cowrustler

Really on a post of someone trying to sell a rifle?  A cowboy making comments against a caliber doesn’t seem the cowboy way to me, nimble fingers. 

Wade, your rifle looks great and would be a great rifle to own being made in the USA. And I know there are a lot of .45 Colts out there. Ignore the caliber snobs, they have been around since the late 90’s. 
Good luck on your sale. 

Funny thing about the .44 Henry caliber.  It uses bullets closer in diameter to the .45 Colt than to the .44-40.  It's also straight-walled, so any benefit that black powder (or other) shooters may receive from a bottleneck case could be called "unrealistic" in a Henry or 1866 replica.  Meanwhile, Colt did chamber the SAA in .44 Henry, so having handgun cartridge interchangeability in a Henry replica (regardless of actual caliber) is realistic.  And the .45 Colt caliber does open up a greater possibility of "realistic" cartridge interchangeability with an 1860 conversion revolver.

Based on my limited internet "research" (the only one of these cartridges I own is .44 WCF), the .44 Henry used about a .446 bullet and a cartridge overall length shorter than the 45 Schofield but longer than the .45 CS (although I am not sure the length on the Henry cartridges was 100% consistent).  I suggest a new cartridge for Henry replicas, based on a .45 Colt case shortened so as to result in a cartridge overall length similar to a .44 Henry cartridge.   Magazine capacity in the Henry or 1866 replicas would be "right," and the cartridges could be used interchangeably in .45 Colt (or Schofield) revolvers.  Setting up a .45 rifle for this cartridge would hopefully be no harder than setting it up for the .45 CS (but I've never done it, so possibly it would be more difficult to modify the carrier for that length, or something else unforeseen).

As to the name of this cartridge, the ".44" moniker gets used for bullets from the .420s (.44-40) to at least .446 or so (.44 Henry).  Poor old ".38" gets used for everything from .357 (or smaller in the .38 ACP/Super) to at least .401 (.38 WCF).  So calling a .451 a .44 doesn't seem much of a stretch.

Therefore, I propose the name of this cartridge be the .44 Henry Special (which I don't think has been taken yet).  It has every benefit except the "unauthentic" (for the Henry) capability of bottleneck cases to better seal against fouling, and it lets you have a Henry or 1866 replica in .44 caliber.

However, if I get a Henry replica someday, I will probably still get it in .44 WCF.  To each his own.

On second thought, maybe I should get one of each.  Someday.

Beautiful rifle, by the way.

• Wade Butcher changed the title to [SOLD] New Original Henry 1860 Rifle

I have the 1860 in 45 Colt but imported by fellow Texans - Cimmarron :) and Mike Harvey is a great fella and Cowboy so I don’t have any regrets of not being made in USA or the caliber 45 , it’s a Texan rifle :D and I also shoot 45 so it fits my need.

Good to see this rifle from Wade is going to a new cowboy as this surenuff is a peace of art !!!

Archived