SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Open Top rebuild

Texas Jack Black

I have checked the suppliers and it would cost more to rebuild one of my frames into a functioning 38 or 44  .Any ideas on where to find used parts for this ?

Thank You

56 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This What?????  Open top covers a lot of ground.

1872 Army model 5 1/2  round barrel   steel grip frame originally  purchased from Cimarron. I need all the parts except the frame.

Thank You

You have a "Frame" with No internals, No Grip Set, No Cylinder and No Barrel/Ejector??  You'd be better off cutting that frame up with plasma cutter and buying a new to you Open Top.

Finding all those parts used??  Only possibilities would be Gun Broker and eBay.  Still gonna need yer broker though.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

You have a "Frame" with No internals, No Grip Set, No Cylinder and No Barrel/Ejector??  You'd be better off cutting that frame up with plasma cutter and buying a new to you Open Top.

Finding all those parts used??  Only possibilities would be Gun Broker and eBay.  Still gonna need yer broker though.

Thank You, My thoughts also

Best Wishes

It has been my experience that parts will add up to more than a whole gun. perhaps you could find a deactivated revolver and buy the whole thing, but that's a tall order.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/handguns.html

What happened to all the old parts? Everything doesn't wear out at once.

How is the frame area around the firing pin hole?  My primers when fired fill the worn area and won't allow the cylinder to rotate.

1 hour ago, Crusty said:

How is the frame area around the firing pin hole?  My primers when fired fill the worn area and won't allow the cylinder to rotate.

seems fine .I will keep looking 

You can get an open top for usually less than 500bucks...might be better off grabbing a new one with a warranty. 

Unless rebuilding it is gonna be part of the fun, which I totally understand;)....numrich gun parts at www.gunpartscorp.com

The economically most viable thing to do with a good frame and no parts would be to sell the frame.  Someone with a gun like Crusty's that has firing pin hole problems would likely jump on it.  Those FP problems can be fixed but it takes a very good smith and money.

edit: or do the opposite, buy someone's gun inexpensively that has the worn out firing pin hole and swap all parts to your frame.

PLUS ONE for Abilene you betcha.

Perhaps Crusty and John Brown should "make an Arrangement."  I would point out however, that frame with it attendant serial #s constitutes a "firearm" under BATFE rules and would have to go thru an FFL just as Crusty's would.  A single shot Open Top is no fun indeed.

Crusty: Have you frame welded by this guy. He did 2 of mine and was recommended to me by another satisfied customer.

https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair

12 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Crusty: Have you frame welded by this guy. He did 2 of mine and was recommended to me by another satisfied customer.

https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair

Thanks Springfield Slim!  Just what I’ve been looking for.

Word of warning, though, the firing pin hole will mostly disappear and you will need to open it up again. When you do make sure the hammer hits on the frame, not the firing pin bottoming in the hole or you will have a metal peening problem and a small "volcano' will form on the breech face. I found a pointy grinding stone on a Dremel worked OK, just have to be careful.

Archived