SASS Wire Forum

Today's weird question

Alpo

In the Griffin books it is mentioned that a general's flag - both Army and Marine Corps - areIS red.

In the movie Operation Petticoat we see that an admiral's flag is blue.

And according to the all-knowing internet, where I just looked it up, an Air Force general's flag is blue.

Why do you suppose it is that TWO of the flag officers' flags are red, while the other two are blue?

It would sort of make sense for both the Navy and the Marines to have the same color, and for the Army and the Air Force to have the same color (since the Air Force used to be part of the Army).

Or if the Army and the Marines are both red because they are generals, then the Air Force General should also be red.

There appears to be no logic whatsoever in the color choice. Does anyone have any idea as to why the colors are what they are?

57 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Why do you suppose it is that of the flag officers flags are red, while the other two are blue?

Now, see this?  

How say you all?  Should I give him about this?

Actually the entire flag thing has me confused as hell.

We have an admiral in charge of the CIA (in the novel) and behind his desk he has three flags. The US flag, his Admiral flag, and the CIA flag. Another novel and behind the desk of the director of Homeland Security is the US flag and the homeland security flag.

Why does the CIA have a flag? Why does Homeland Security have a flag?

A couple of blocks from my house these people have a flag in their front yard. Choctaw Indians. Why does a tribe of Indians have a flag? I mean, I can see going into battle flying your country's flag. But I just cannot visualize a war party of Indians with a flag. I've never heard of the CIA going into battle, or Homeland Security.

Why does the church have a flag?

You said it. You follow the battle standard. Church, tribe, agency, branch if the military, whatever

I only need one flag: Old Glory.

I also have a guidon that flew outside my office window when I was a Company Commander.   It was new when I took command.  The day I left my First Sergeant had a new guidon raised and the company made me a gift of the one that had been there the whole time I was.  It's ratty, faded moth-eaten, and worn but it hangs next to my desk these days, a reminder of one of my proudest years.

Archived