SASS Wire Forum

Dumbing down

Pulp, SASS#28319

3 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Bought a new washer the other day.  I don’t think I would have ever attached the drain hose we’re it not for these valuable instructions.

F3981D97-010A-482A-96E3-7412E3A5B7D9.jpeg

And it likely added at least $20 to the price of the washer.

My former father-in-law was the financial controller for a Boston product liability lawyer group.
He told of how a kid sued a vacuum cleaner company for negligence.
Apparently, the kid stuck his Johnson into the beater bar assembly (working) with predictable results.
The vacuum manufacturer was found liable for $5M because they failed to put warning signs on the beaters.

Warning:  Do Not Insert Your (johnson) into Beaters.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

My former father-in-law was the financial controller for a Boston product liability lawyer group.
Apparently, the kid stuck his Johnson into the beater bar assembly (working) with predictable results.
The vacuum manufacturer was found liable for $5M because they failed to put warning signs on the beaters.

This , these types of lawsuits that get won are the downfall of this once great contry.

Just like the hot coffee at McDonald's. No s#@t Sherlock.

When the heck are people going to be held responsible for their own stupidity?:angry:

7 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Bought a new washer the other day.  I don’t think I would have ever attached the drain hose we’re it not for these valuable instructions.

F3981D97-010A-482A-96E3-7412E3A5B7D9.jpeg

Just don't iron your fresh, clean clothes while wearing them. Actual warning in clothes iron owner's manual.

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Just like the hot coffee at McDonald's. No s#@t Sherlock.

The coffee at McDonald's, at that time, was kept at190° f.

The coffee in your Mr Coffee is about 140° f.

The woman who spilled the coffee in her crotch had 3rd degree burns, went to the hospital, and had 2 years of medical procedures including skin grafts.

This is a little bit more than "coffee is supposed to be hot".

One of the results of the lawsuit was the idiotic warning on the cup - caution coffee is hot. Another of the results was it the temperature the coffee was kept at was lowered by about 40°.

https://www.enjuris.com/blog/resources/mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit/

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The coffee at McDonald's, at that time, was kept at190° f.

Which is slightly under the perfect brewing temperature.  

It was kept that hot because there were too many complaints about the coffee being cold three minutes after the customer bought it.  Now, thanks to that idjit, if we buy a coffee it's cold in three minutes.

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It was kept that hot because there were too many complaints about the coffee being cold three minutes after the customer bought it.  Now, thanks to that idjit, if we buy a coffee it's cold in three minutes.

Now, now... that "idjit" was a little old lady.  And she was not the first.  Not mentioned was that the lids were known by McDonalds to not seal; there had been many, many earlier reports of scaldings because the lids failed - and the McD's management figured it was cheaper to ignore than address the problem.  :(

And like you, I like my coffee HOT!!  And STRONG!!  Hot enough to make that horseshoe floating in the mug wilt... and if there are any crumbs of road apple clinging to it, well... just adds to the flavor!  ^_^

My understanding was the lid had issues and the old foam cups woils collapse under intense heat flimsy. Those old porous foam coffee cups went away after that, didn’t they?

Of course everyone fiddles their own tune til something off the wall  happens to them.

14 hours ago, bgavin said:

I was involved in a similar case in Boston.  It involved an old Electrolux rocket ship style of vacuum.  The youngster had opened the top half (like you were going to access the bag) and was riding it around the house.  As he pushed himself forward with his feet, he was switching the motor on and off to make rocket ship noises.  The plaintiff's lawyer claimed that the suction from the motor sucked his genitals into the fan, injuring him severely.  The defense insisted that this was impossible, and that an intentional insertion (with an inferred nasty motivation) must have occurred.  The plaintiff's lawyer, after days of arguments between counsel over the "intentional insertion" argument, asked his expert witness if it was possible to demonstrate the mechanism that could have innocently sucked the boy's penis into the fan; the expert said he would work on it.  The next day the expert showed up in court with a dozen foot-long hot dogs wrapped in butcher paper.  Plaintiff's counsel asked the judge for permission to run a demonstration.  Defense counsel was so confident that the accident could not have happened as alleged that he did not object.  The expert set the vacuum up on a table in the courtroom, raised the cover of the vac, placed a hot dog near the fan intake, and hit the switch.  The motor roared and sucked that hot dog right into the fan.  Chopped raw meat was sprayed all around the courtroom.  The case settled almost immediately.

Even though the circumstances were sensationalized, the basic premise was sound.  This machine dated back to a time when electrical interlock switches were rare on consumer products.  To avoid this type of loss, all the manufacturer needed to do was install an interlock switch, which would have cut power to the motor if the cover was in the upright position, exposing the fan intake.

Most of these "crazy warning" cases are actually based upon really tragic accidents that could have been avoided if safety were considered a priority by the manufacturer or seller. By the time these cases were retold in the press and circulated in social circles, they were distorted and exaggerated.   I spent most of my career defending these cases, and it never ceased to amaze me how blind or indifferent folks could be to the risks created by their products.  Even worse, in an effort to address the problem, the state and federal governments bent over backwards to create a body of law to make it easier to successfully sue, and/or to inflate the recovery.  But most of them did involve real and painful losses, often overlooked by folks who repeated and distorted them for amusement.

LL

I also wanted to mention that I too spilled coffee on my crotch driving my old Mazda pickup truck in 1987. I bought a large 20 ounce coffee at 7/11 then got into my truck, which was a stick shift without a cup holder. I sat the coffee between my legs and headed to work. At the second light the movement of my legs operating the clutch caused the coffee lid to pop and fill my lap with wonderful hot coffee as I pulled away from the light. HOT!

I immediately stopped, jumped out and did a funny dance where I grabbed the front of my khaki Docker pants and pulled it away from my skin while I danced in the street, much yo the entertainment of those in traffic around me and the police officer behind me. 

I saw that episode as a learning experience. Many see episodes like that as a way to make money off their own mistakes. 

It would have never crossed my mind to sue 7/11 for something that I did. 

I have experienced a few events in my life that I could have sued over, per the opinions of others. I chose not to. Mostly because of reality and I know myself. A lawsuit is a very stressful and tedious process. One has to look at all the aspects of a lawsuit and weigh whether or not the outcome would be worth all the time, hassle, money and most importantly, to me, the stress of it all. 
Oh, sure, one might come away with a bunch of money, but at what cost?

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Most of these "crazy warning" cases are actually based upon really tragic accidents that could have been avoided if safety were considered a priority by the manufacturer or seller. 

Most of the "crazy warning cases" are based on people not using the common sense God gave a rock and exhibiting outstanding stupidity.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Most of the "crazy warning cases" are based on people not using the common sense God gave a rock and exhibiting outstanding stupidity.

Don't forget Joe.....the victims don't write the warnings...the manufacturers do.  

LL

28 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Don't forget Joe.....the victims don't write the warnings...the manufacturers do.  

LL

Only after they have been sued because a "victim" has done something so incredibly stupid that no person with a nanogram of g

common sense would have attempted it.  We shouldn't have to put warnings on sharp cutting implements that sharp cutting implements are sharp.  The people who need those warnings are likely incapable of reading or understanding the warnings anyway.

I'm minded of the guy who sued some fried chicken place for failing to provide him with a plastic knife .  Seems he was too stupid to figure out how to eat fried chicken without choking.  He finally withdrew the action.

I recall years ago speaking to a ladder and scaffolding rep when I was outfitting a rail shop. He said at least 50% of the cost of ladders and scaffolding are due to lawsuits and payouts for same. 

I also recall having safety training with my crew and explaining the nifty decal on the side of the ladder that shows what angle the ladder should be set when leaning it against a building, or in our case a rail car. I also recall the next day walking out into the shop and seeing one of my morons (I had 2) climbing the ladder positioned completely wrong with too little of an angle. 
I took a photo, walked over and asked him to climb down. When he was back on terra-firma I told him to punch out and not return until he received a hearing notice telling him when and where to be. He got a 3 day suspension for plain being stupid. 
He sure learned how to set up a ladder after that. 
Oh, that photo, it convinced the moron’s Union steward that he needed suspending. 

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I recall years ago speaking to a ladder and scaffolding rep when I was outfitting a rail shop. He said at least 50% of the cost of ladders and scaffolding are due to lawsuits and payouts for same.

When our youngest was born in 1985, the doc was going to give her the $50 polio shot.
She said, "It's $0.50 for the shot, and the rest for liability insurance."

Apparently some Colorado cowboy contracted polio from the vaccinated baby's stools.
There was a substantial judgement, plus $1 million to his wife for "loss of sexual comfort."
Dayum... $1M... that cowboy musta been awful good in the saddle.

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I was in a class once on liability given by one of the lawyers involved in that incident. We had a lengthy discussion on the case. The elderly lady was not in fact an idiot. I saw photos of her hideous burns. I can’t imagine my grandmother suffering through that.
McDonald’s  had numerous complaints over several years from others who had been injured. They had been advised buy safety inspectors to turn the temp down. They paid off the complainants and did nothing. A clear case of corporate malfeasance jin my opinion. And in the opinion of the jury. 
But over the years Mickey D’s has managed to spin the “gold digging sue happy lawyers” tune and gloss over their gross incompetence.

Archived