SASS Wire Forum

Tales From Behind the Plate, June 15

So there I was, umpiring a high school baseball tournament.  I had the plate, and my partner on the bases was a rookie.  He is going to be a solid umpire eventually, but he's still pretty new.

Anyway, this call was on me.  Runner on 2nd with 2 outs.  The batter smacked a line drive into left-centerfield for a base hit, but tried to stretch it out into a double.  The runner from 2nd touched 3rd and was coming home when the batter-runner was tagged out sliding into 2nd base.  The runner crossed the plate a split second after the out was made, but before my partner made the "out" call.  My partner did the right thing -- those of you who watched baseball in the '80s remember umpires making the call right when the play happened.  Now we're taught to SLOW DOWN on the call -- see it, replay it in our heads, look to make sure the fielder still has the ball, and then call it. 

By rule, a run cannot score if the third out is made on a force out.  However, because the batter-runner stretched a base hit into a double, this was NOT a force out; it was a tag out.  I positioned myself to see the play and the runner touching home, keeping both in my field of view.  I judged the out happened, then the runner touched home, then my partner signaled the out.

My call started an argument and two coaches nearly found themselves in the parking lot early.

This is a classic "time play," and whether or not the run scores is determined by when the runner touched the plate -- either before or after the third out was made at 2nd, NOT before or after the call was made.  In this case, I signaled "no run" to the score keeper, and both coaches from the batting team nearly came unglued.  My partner, of course, had his back to home plate to make the call at 2nd, so there was no going to him to confirm my judgement.  Call stands.  Go back to the dugout.

Sounds right to me. In an MLB game with a replay protest they would have seen the the out was made before the run scored. That’s MHO :)

I umpted for a number of years back when I was a teacher.  

My one goal was for neither team or any of the parents to realize I was there = no close calls or anything that would be quetioned, just let them enjoy the game

didn't always go that way

keep sending us updates, they're fun to read

Archived