SASS Wire Forum

The Gene Autry you might not have known

Rip Snorter

Thanks for posting that Rip.  A former boss grew up next to Herb Yates's family (head of Republic Studios who lived in a NJ suburb.)  My boss spent some summers with Herb's son in CA watching movies being made, especially Gene's.  Gene was very loyal to old friends and supported or helped out a number of them over the years.  One was Ken Maynard who fell on hard times as he aged. 

I had 2 records as a lad. One was the Rudolph 45. I think Here Comes Santy Claus was the flip side. Just about wore it out.
The other was Roy. Can’t recall his #1 side but the flip was The .old Rugged Cross, with Dale.

34 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had 2 records as a lad. One was the Rudolph 45. I think Here Comes Santy Claus was the flip side. Just about wore it out.
The other was Roy. Can’t recall his #1 side but the flip was The .old Rugged Cross, with Dale.

Just a little scary that my copy was a 78 rpm.  45 had to come in around 1950. after 33 1/3. Somehow a few dozen 78's survived and neatly all the LP, but no 45.  I can recall the record shop with the listening booth where you could play a record before buying!  

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I also had Rudolph. The other side, I'm pretty sure, was Frosty the Snowman. 78 rpm.

I have a question about that article. I don't follow sports, so I could very easily be confused here.

It says the Angels played for one year at Wrigley stadium in Los Angeles.

I thought Wrigley stadium was in Chicago?

52 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just a little scary that my copy was a 78 rpm.  45 had to come in around 1950. after 33 1/3. Somehow a few dozen 78's survived and neatly all the LP, but no 45.  I can recall the record shop with the listening booth where you could play a record before buying!  

I could be disremembering. Haven’t seen it since ‘54. Might have been a 78.

When my father passed away we talked about how to remember him. Dad had a hard life and worked always for the family. Looking at pictures my younger brother said he wanted "That Silver Haired Dady of Mine" to be played. The Funeral director said he couldn't find a clear and good recording by Gene Autry, (my dads favorite cowboy), he recommended the Jim Reeves version.

Many knew my dad, friends, neighbors, and people he worked with. When the Jim Reeves version was being played, there were many that had misty eyes. Many knew dads hardships in his life.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a question about that article. I don't follow sports, so I could very easily be confused here.

It says the Angels played for one year at Wrigley stadium in Los Angeles.

I thought Wrigley stadium was in Chicago?

Look up Wrigley field and you’ll find a Wrigley Field in LA, it hosted the Angels when they were a minor league team. It says “Not yo he confused with Wrigley Field in Chicago. 

I can’t put the link here from my phone for some reason. Google it and you’ll find it!

Thanks for the memories.  I've been to the Autry museum a couple of times.  Always a wonderful place to visit.

I have been a life long Angels fan.  It was unfortunate Gene never got to see the Angels win the pennant but Jackie made sure to let the fans know it was always his dream.  We know he was there in spirit.

Archived