SASS Wire Forum

Australian language question

Alpo

When your boss decides to give you more money, is that a rise or a raise?

In England it's a rise. Here in the states it's a raise. What is it in Oz?

The obvious response is "non-existent" but I'm looking for a non-humorous legitimate response.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

In Canada, it's raise.  However, we spell Jail...Gaol.

I saw that spelling on some closed captioning of British (or English or UK--whatever you call it)  cable TV shows

is that a hold-over from another language?

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

is that a hold-over from another language

Yes it is. It is British. It's a soft g, like genesis, so you have the J sound at the beginning, two vowels which means the first one is a long sound (ayy) and the second vowel is silent, and it ends with an L. Jail.

One of my majors in college was English, so the first time I went to England I was confident that I spoke the language.  From the start at the airport, I was proven wrong, I speak American. I tried to use a pay phone in those pre cell phone days, instructions were in English, but the phone made all sorts of strange noises and the instructions were to deposit the coins at the pips.  What the heck is a pip! By the third visit with a bit of effort I generally could pass as English, at least for a short conversation.

Oh so Gaelic is pronounced “Jail-ick”.

I get it now. So England is “Enj-land”…

Here I have been saying it all wrong. No wonder Enjlish speaking people from other countries give me joofy looks and think I don’t have any jumption. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh so Gaelic is pronounced “Jail-ick

Well, that might explain why they sent so many Irish to prison (or Australia - same thing).

23 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I saw that spelling on some closed captioning of British (or English or UK--whatever you call it)  cable TV shows

is that a hold-over from another language?

Old English.  Many many years ago, before I re-enlisted in the military I was a correctional officer for 18 months with the Alberta Provincial Goals, which is the official spelling, however the print media spell it the American way, Jail.

Archived