SASS Wire Forum

When Someone Hits A Deer

Subdeacon Joe

Fakebook!  Haven't checked recently, but if you hit a deer in Montana, and they sometimes kamikaze beyond your best efforts to avoid them, you could claim the carcass.  Small recompense for the thousands of vehicle body damage.

7 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What's it say?

City guy, "My new truck!  And I just got it waxed!"

Country guy, (dials cell phone)" Mom?  Don't bother with take out, I've got it ""

Been a lot of hungry folks fed here in the Southeast where many states have passed legal recovery of killed and injured deer.

A couple friends of mine have taken them to the processors and donated the meat to needy families.

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Been a lot of hungry folks fed here in the Southeast where many states have passed legal recovery of killed and injured deer.

A couple friends of mine have taken them to the processors and donated the meat to needy families.

I've picked them up in the past. The loins are usually good and one hind quarter. The Black Pine Animal Rescue will take them to feed their lions, bears, etc.

25 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've picked them up in the past. The loins are usually good and one hind quarter. The Black Pine Animal Rescue will take them to feed their lions and tigers and bears, etc.

Oh my!

In Georgia it's illegal. Unless it is hunting season and you have a hunting license, and it's an antler buck.

In Alabama, they told me to just call the sheriff's department, and if nobody was hurt they won't even send a deputy out, but to just go ahead and throw it in the back of the truck and take it to the house.

I only hit one many, many years ago, a muley doe.  She jumped a guard rail right into the front of my ''57 Chevy.  Busted a parking light on the right side but she was dead before she hit the ground.  I was about three miles north of Brigham City, Utah and it was the middle of the night.  After some thought I put her in the trunk ("boot" for my Aussie friends), drove on into town and pulled in to the Bureau of Indian Affairs Intermountain School.  The guy at the gate called someone and before I left the deer was on her way to the school cafeteria.

A new lens and bulb for the light cost me $2.00 and change.

)Knock on wood)

I have never hit a deer, but have come close. 
I have seen some torn up cars but more torn up deer. 
Years ago in PA it seemed like every couple miles you could see evidence of deer impacts. Not so much any more, but I am not sure why. 
I will have to read up on the laws in PA & WV, but I recall if one hit a deer in PA one could keep it but it must be reported ASAP. I am not sure what the law is now. 

Side Question:

Do deer whistles work to repel deer?

I have relatives that say they do. I have read articles that say they don’t. 

In Oregon (and everywhere else) I have encountered motorcyclists, mostly Harley riders, that claim “Loud pipes save lives” yet the bigger louder bikes seem to be the ones striking or getting struck by deer. That could be a maneuvering issues more than anything else, but on the surface it may seem noise doesn’t necessarily mean deer still won’t bolt out in front of you. 

I recall riding in my aunt’s car one night when we rounded a turn and there was a herd of deer in the road about 125 yards away. She turned off her headlights, blew her horn then turned her headlights back on. Scared the crap out of me as I was like 10 years old, but lo and behold, the deer were gone. 
She said deer get mesmerized by the headlights and the horn helps motivate them to run. I have not had to employ this technique. :lol:

9 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I'm afraid I don't have FB either.

Keep tryin, I don't either, but it finally worked.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

)Knock on wood)

I have never hit a deer, but have come close. 
I have seen some torn up cars but more torn up deer. 
Years ago in PA it seemed like every couple miles you could see evidence of deer impacts. Not so much any more, but I am not sure why. 
I will have to read up on the laws in PA & WV, but I recall if one hit a deer in PA one could keep it but it must be reported ASAP. I am not sure what the law is now. 

Side Question:

Do deer whistles work to repel deer?

I have relatives that say they do. I have read articles that say they don’t. 

In Oregon (and everywhere else) I have encountered motorcyclists, mostly Harley riders, that claim “Loud pipes save lives” yet the bigger louder bikes seem to be the ones striking or getting struck by deer. That could be a maneuvering issues more than anything else, but on the surface it may seem noise doesn’t necessarily mean deer still won’t bolt out in front of you. 

I recall riding in my aunt’s car one night when we rounded a turn and there was a herd of deer in the road about 125 yards away. She turned off her headlights, blew her horn then turned her headlights back on. Scared the crap out of me as I was like 10 years old, but lo and behold, the deer were gone. 
She said deer get mesmerized by the headlights and the horn helps motivate them to run. I have not had to employ this technique. :lol:

Theory I was told is that you are most likely to hit a deer when following another vehicle.  Example given to me was as a deer is approaching a road and it hears a car. Deer stops to see what the noise is. As the car passes the deer focuses its attention on that car while proceeding to cross the road. Because its attention is focused somewhere else it fails to react to the next car till its too late.

One observation I have made is that deer get very little traction on pavement. Makes it hard for them to move out of the way. 

The other risk here in the country, is when another car is approaching and hasn't dimmed their headlights.  You can't see deer for a few moments.  A couple of times I've noted a sort of twinkle along the pavement and stopped, their hooves apparently. I have observed shod horses having trouble with traction on pavement, but not deer, they can go full tilt.  I have seen them climb sharply angled rock slabs on my ranch with no problem at all.

Sometimes when you hit a deer, they hit back.:lol:

image.gif.2b90eacb7fd7e22fbc0d75416839cce6.gif

Archived