SASS Wire Forum

Raising Daughters

Subdeacon Joe

Joe, there's a problem with these facebook links. Facebook is a private, proprietary site. One must be a member to access it. I'm not a member, and I can't see the material.

As the father or three daughters and the grandfather of 7 granddaughters, I might find the info interesting, if I could see it.

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Joe, there's a problem with these facebook links. Facebook is a private, proprietary site. One must be a member to access it. I'm not a member, and I can't see the material.

As the father or three daughters and the grandfather of 7 granddaughters, I might find the info interesting, if I could see it.

I realize that people not on FB usually can't see them.   I used to spend time trying to find the video on YouTube but the past year or so decided that spending an hour or more trying to find something for people who for whatever reason don't have a free FB account just isn't worth it.   

It's humorous.  Especially the last, "And I taught them to shoot."

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have never and will never be a member of Facebook. It opened for me on my phone though. Not on my PC.

I’ll offer a strong second to the above!!

I don’t have the patience to deal with idiots like my ultra left wing liberal sister.

I would reply to some of their stupidity and be permanently banned anyway. Don’t sign up! Don’t read their crap! Don’t respond! Don’t get kicked off!

THERE!! I saved four needless steps and my attitude isn’t adversely effected!!

There are plenty of conservatives on Facebook, including some of us here. SASS has a FB page. Capt George Baylor does also. Yes it is owned by a jerk. So are a lot of companies. Ya have to balance the good with the bad. I ignore the jerks and uberlibs.

Farcebook can be useful and interesting and there is nothing that forces you to deal with those who have a differing opinion than yours.

I have a couple of distant relatives that I am "friends" with on FB, but because I found their posts annoying, I "unfollowed" them so I no longer see the left things they post.  You can also hide sources, for example, if some constantly posts something from CNN, there is an option to hide CNN.

Do I agree with the owner of Farcebook or Amazon, in general no I don't, but that's not going to stop me from using Farcebook or Amazon for MY benefit.

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I realize that people not on FB usually can't see them.   I used to spend time trying to find the video on YouTube but the past year or so decided that spending an hour or more trying to find something for people who for whatever reason don't have a free FB account just isn't worth it.   

It's humorous.  Especially the last, "And I taught them to shoot."

I have three facebook accounts, and I can't see the video.  

51 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are plenty of conservatives on Facebook, including some of us here. SASS has a FB page. Capt George Baylor does also. Yes it is owned by a jerk. So are a lot of companies. Ya have to balance the good with the bad. I ignore the jerks and uberlibs.

Exactly, I don't argue with people that disagree with me. However if they attack me personally I'm ready willing and able. I've unfollowed, unfriended, blocked a bunch of people even some of my family. I enjoy the gun groups, SASS, etc. It's what you make it, you can tailor it to fit your likes! I follow celebrities and politicians that I agree with. It's a great tool to keep in touch with people. That's MHO.

By the way, that video was great! Smart guy!!;)

28 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have three facebook accounts, and I can't see the video.  

It opened on Instagram for some reason 

I only have an account in an undercover name in order to stay current on some of the undesirables' postings that I dealt with when still working in law enforcement...   I never post anything, only observe.   Have never understood why someone wants the world to know they just ate at Red Lobster...

Getting past the Facebook debate on this one, it's titled "Three Things I Learned Raising Daughters."

It can be summed up as, tell your daughters that you love them, tell them the truth, and make sure they can tell you anything. This way they don't fall for anyone, and instead have a high bar when it comes to love and respect. Also, teach them to shoot. Just in case. My philosophy in a nutshell.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Exactly, I don't argue with people that disagree with me. However if they attack me personally I'm ready willing and able. I've unfollowed, unfriended, blocked a bunch of people even some of my family. I enjoy the gun groups, SASS, etc. It's what you make it, you can tailor it to fit your likes! I follow celebrities and politicians that I agree with. It's a great tool to keep in touch with people. 

What Rye says all makes perfect sense, but to me it also illustrates the overall problem with facebook. How many times have pards here, just for instance, talked about the facebook arguments over politics/religion/issues etc with family, the blocking and unfriending, the discord amongst family and friends, and other stuff that wouldn't have happened if not for FB?

Anyway, perhaps I just see the negatives, but it's hard for me to conclude that social media have overall improved the condition of people and society.

On the other hand, I have made countless great contacts, many in person, through website groups, including this one. One virtue of such groups is precisely that they are moderated. Why does the Saloon prohibit political discussions, beyond a certain point? Because experience shows that no good ever comes of it.

10 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Anyway, perhaps I just see the negatives, but it's hard for me to conclude that social media have overall improved the condition of people and society.

A good 2/3 of the threads I start in the Saloon are because I saw a post on FB and either looked up what the person was talking about or followed the link in the post.  And everything I put into the various humor/meme/cartoon threads comes from FB.

I also find it useful for following such exalted personages as Harris, US Senator Padilla, US Senator Feinstein, Representative Thompson (CA 4th), Speaker of the House Pelosi, CA State Senator McGuire, CA Assemblyman Wood, and various others.  Also reading the comments to their pronouncements and pontifications is interesting.  

Well anyway, we raised three daughters (we also have two sons), and were close grandparents to seven granddaughters, all of whom grew up nearby (we also have five grandsons, and a great-granddaughter, but she's tiny).

I consider myself an expert on the subject. I had a phone call 10 days ago from #4 granddaughter, now 23. She was recently hired by a well-known law enforcement agency. She did some shooting at the range, and was told she was a pretty good shot. She told them her grandpa taught her. She wanted to let me know. I felt good about that.

On the FB subject: I am one of five brothers, all in their 60s and 70s, and a sister, mid-70s. We have never had a family estrangement or falling-out between us, or our spouses and families; never. We are close, all live within 20 miles or so of one another. We do not allow disagreements to escalate under any circumstances, and we are not all of the same opinions by any means. We regard our family as far more important than transient opinions. This takes, above all, good will.

So I don't care for sowers of discord, of whom the world is full. And it seems to me that many of these social media platforms do just that. My two bits worth.

I walked away from FB and closed my business and personal accounts when they censored Mr. Trump.

I can't see the video, but do have three daughters and taught 'em all to shoot.
Fathers Day at the Range was the day I had all three in adjacent lanes.

Archived