SASS Wire Forum

What are they saying?

Alpo

Donovan's Reef.

Frequently throughout movie Guns and Amelia argue. Then they will come to an agreement and one will say PAX (peace) and the other replies PAX, and they shake hands on it.

Or possibly the one says PACT (agreement) and the other replies PACT, and they shake on it.

Sometimes I think they're saying PAX, and other times I think it's PACT.

What do y'all think they're saying?

Movie quotes on line shows "Pax".  One of the definitions for pax is a period of peace.  Pax is latin for peace, and the Roman goddess of peace is called Pax.  To the Greek, she was Irene

“Pax Romana” was the 200 year period of peace for the Roman Empire. Well, relative peace anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....this kept me awake most of the night, so I got up this morning and watched it (several times in places) and agree it's "pax".

Pact implies some sort of agreement, of which there wasn't none (and I'll bet Miss Morrell, my high school English teacher, is flipping all over because of that sentence fragment) while "pax" simply means "peace".

If you'll watch very closely you can see the lips are saying "pax", not "pact"

Trust me: I'm not a politician, a sales critter, or anyone who wants your personal data to use on line.

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Never could put my finger on why. 

Really? It's fairly simple. The plot is idiotic.

I go off to war, leaving a pregnant wife. She dies in childbirth. I never go back home to get my kid.

They call that desertion.

Then I get remarried and have three more kids, and hey, my new wife dies in childbirth.

Damn I'm unlucky. For women.

Now my grown oldest kid comes looking for me. I've gone off somewhere, leaving my three kids at my house, being watched by the servants.

And two of my best friends take my three kids away from my house to one of their houses, because they are afraid that my oldest child will be offended when she finds out that her half brother and sisters are not completely White.

And then when I get back from wherever the hell it is I've been, and I find out what my two best friends did, instead of telling them they're a couple of idiots, and then collecting my three children and saying "come on we're going home", I go along with this stupidity.

Archived