SASS Wire Forum

What are some recommended things to improve a Vaquero?

Quiet Burp

What are some recommended things I could do myself to improve my two Vaquero 357's?

I had a play with mates pair of Pietta's on the weekend and they felt way easier to cock than my pistols.

Hammer springs and trigger return springs. I use a combination from Wolf which is a 17 # hammer and 30 ounce trigger. Though I know some who go lighter (14 # in one case) be careful about going too light on the hammer as you can become dependent on specific primers that may not always be available. My Vaqueros will set off any primers including CCI’s no problem. 
gunsprings.com

from home page (upper right) select “revolvers”, select “ruger”, select single action, wait a bit then scroll through listings to an appropriate “shooters pack”

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW while you have things apart if you feel  any burr’s or rough edges polish (not file!) till smooth.

No Dremel until you have seen and understand how things work. 

Depending on your shooting style-- one or two handed-- hammer replacement with lower, wider Super Blackhawk  hammers can be a helpful asset. 

Changing springs, putting in Super Blackhawk hammers, filing front site to point of aim and changing out grips.  On New Vaquero there is a piece you can remove to make the cylinder free spin when you open the loading gate.  The Original (Old) Vaquero, it takes careful filing and is not for the faint of heart.

8 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Hammer springs and trigger return springs. I use a combination from Wolf which is a 17 # hammer and 30 ounce trigger. Though I know some who go lighter (14 # in one case) be careful about going too light on the hammer as you can become dependent on specific primers that may not always be available. My Vaqueros will set off any primers including CCI’s no problem. 
gunsprings.com

from home page (upper right) select “revolvers”, select “ruger”, select single action, wait a bit then scroll through listings to an appropriate “shooters pack”

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW while you have things apart if you feel  any burr’s or rough edges polish (not file!) till smooth.

No Dremel until you have seen and understand how things work. 

Everything he said, plus if you go too light on the hammer spring you can potentially outrun the hammer fall. Not me, but Iron Cowboy has heavier springs partly due to outrunning the lighter ones he had.

57 minutes ago, Tarheel Doc said:

I would advise investing in a good gunsmith to tune your revolvers. It is money well spent. My recommendation would be Jimmy Spurs at Cowboy Gun Works. You won’t regret it. 

I love Jimmy Spurs work. I have a set of his guns and so does Sharyn. They’re very smooth. Just an FYI, they’re smooth, and I prefer them, but they won’t make much difference in stage times.

Dropping in a Wolff spring kit will make a world of difference.  I currently shoot Colt clones, but I have several pairs of Rugers that I still shoot, on occasion.  All my Rugers have spring kits and lower Super Blackhawk hammers.  

If you're not familiar with changing parts on Ruger revolvers, there are excellent videos on YouTube (several by Ruger) on how to disassemble and reassemble all their single action pistols.

8 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Dropping in a Wolff spring kit will make a world of difference.  I currently shoot Colt clones, but I have several pairs of Rugers that I still shoot, on occasion.  All my Rugers have spring kits and lower Super Blackhawk hammers.  

If you're not familiar with changing parts on Ruger revolvers, there are excellent videos on YouTube (several by Ruger) on how to disassemble and reassemble all their single action pistols.

+1

I put super blackhawk hammers and lighter hammer springs in my vaqueros. Well worth the effort and easy to do. Simple replacement of parts, lots of videos on how to do it.

8 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Depending on your shooting style-- one or two handed-- hammer replacement with lower, wider Super Blackhawk  hammers can be a helpful asset. 

In addition the shape and size of your hand, how you hold the gun and what is more comfortable are additional factors. I switched from two handed to duelist, then to double duelist. In the end, the hammer that seems the best for me is the standard New Model Vaquero hammer. It closely mimics the shape of the original SAA Colt hammer. The top of that hammer is meant to sit into the first joint of your thumb when you land on it, then as you pull down the contact area goes forward to the tip of the thumb. I had issues with my somewhat arthritic thumb slipping off the hammer. I worked on my technique, IOW, it was not the guns fault, I needed to learn how to use it properly. Do not get caught trying to match a hammer to your bad form/technique. I fit (not a drop in) a New Vaquero hammer into one of my New Model Blackhawks, and really like how it feels and works. 

You did not state whether your Vaquero was an original model, or a New Vaquero. The sear mechanics are the same, and creep is the one characteristic that most original and New Vaqueros have. The Wolff spring kit is what I use, and after some use I examine the sear wear marks and decide if that area could use some work. 

The sear is not consistent on the Vaqueros, some trigger/hammer combos are nice, some not so good. Tolerance on mass produced parts is the issue, some fine tuning is required. IMHO, getting a trigger job is worth it. The triggers should be a close match on each, messes less with your brain. 

BB

Best advice I can offer is if it's a new gun, take it out and shoot it.

Then take it out and shoot it some more. 

If it's a used gun, see above.

THEN....

Decide what you need to do to it to fit you.

Just sayin.....

I'm not sure about the New  Vaqueros, but one simple thing I have done with virtually every Ruger Single Action, including Super Blackhawks, Black Hawks, and Old Model Vaqueros to ease trigger pull is to unhook one side of the trigger return springs and just let it ride free. You may need to bend it outward a little so it doesn't rub on the mainspring coil. All the other recommendations are also valid, but this is the simplest one. Just have to remove the grip panels to expose the return spring legs.

First thing I'd do is replace the hammer and trigger springs with lighter Wolff springs. Then I'd shoot them for a while like that to make sure I liked them. Eagle Gunfighter Grips are a great upgrade too. I put those on Little Red's .32 Single Sixes and they made a world of difference.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I'm not sure about the New  Vaqueros, but one simple thing I have done with virtually every Ruger Single Action, including Super Blackhawks, Black Hawks, and Old Model Vaqueros to ease trigger pull is to unhook one side of the trigger return springs and just let it ride free. You may need to bend it outward a little so it doesn't rub on the mainspring coil. All the other recommendations are also valid, but this is the simplest one. Just have to remove the grip panels to expose the return spring legs.

Both my Vaqueros have one leg of the trigger return spring unhooked. 

They also each have had two coils of the stick hammer spring removed. It took about ten seconds each with a dremel cutoff wheel. 

That’s what we used to call a poor man’s action job. 

12 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Dropping in a Wolff spring kit will make a world of difference.  

A word about dropping in a spring. If you have a cat it is the perfect time to have him help. The first spring I attempted it took off unexpectedly. The cat chased it down and got himself a nice treat for his efforts.

A word about the Ruger guy in the video.

He makes me sick!

I think the whole disassembly video is 2 minutes. He took an extra minute to reassemble.

It took me an hour and a half for the first one. The second about 20 minutes.

:lol:

Burp, most of those things mentioned above will work, but some won't. It will depend on what style you shoot.

I have lightened Wolf spring kits in stock and I also short stroke them, but you're probably not ready for that yet.

Lemme know where you're located in the meantime check out my website at http://www.sswdistributors.com

Sell 'em and get some Uberti's, Pietta's or if you can afford them Colts. I'm in the minority on this but I just don't like the feel of Rugers period!

On 6/16/2022 at 9:30 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

100%.  Upgrade to Wolff springs, dry fire or live fire 500+ times, and Ruger tanks are smooth, reliable and competitive.

Archived