SASS Wire Forum

Grand Theft?

Dusty Devil Dale

How long will it be before siphoning out a tank of someone else's  gas will constitute Grand Theft? 

I filled my pickup yesterday with mid grade @ $6.88/gal.  24.5 gal= $167.88.

I recall back in high school in 1965, two guys got caught siphoning gas from a teacher's car in the school parking lot.  The total value was under $10, so the judge only fined each of them $55 and gave them 30 days probation.  Those were the $0.43/gal days.

1 minute ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I believe in California, Grand Theft is defined as theft over $950.   But I'm not certain.

Purty much.

Anything up to that is merely a "ticket-able" infraction, with basically nil consequences.  Want to defend your property?  Be prepared to hear "Your television [or whatever] was not worth his LIFE!"  

(Actually... it's worth quite a bit more, in my not-so-humble opinion -_-)

There are a lot of states that won't pursue or prosecute that kind of thing, and when they do, if the perp is "disadvantaged" go and sin no more!

$5.49 for high test yesterday here in small town Montana, a little cheaper in the city stations.  Performance car that works best with high test but I may start adding mid grade at half full. The old truck with two tanks, and poor MPG, Mind Boggling.

Think about this....oil is around $120.00 a barrel and gas is around $5.00 a gallon. Last year when oil was $120.00 a barrel, gas was around $4.00 a gallon. Doesn't take an expert in math to see we are being ripped off. Just that much more for the oil companies to line the reelection funds and the pockets of the politicians.....republicans and democrats. 

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

It's $2.22 here in my neck of the wood in Oz a litre :( 

Devil in the details, $8.34 and a bit per gallon.  Rather than a spelling contest, let's have a voracious government contest!

It might be hard to prove unless you have camera footage or other proof. 

I think Ohio is $1000 and over. Not 100% sure though.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Devil in the details, $8.34 and a bit per gallon.  Rather than a spelling contest, let's have a voracious government contest!

Always get a little confused....we call a 200L drum of fuel down here a "44 gallon drum" and I think you fella's call them a "55 gallon drum"? The difference between Imperial and US gallons. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Those were the $0.43/gal days.

Where the heck did you live in 1965 when gas was 43 cents? I don't know what it was in 65 - I was 10. But in 71 when I started driving it ran about 21 22 cents. In 74 when the gas crisis happened it went up to about 35.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Where the heck did you live in 1965 when gas was 43 cents? I don't know what it was in 65 - I was 10. But in 71 when I started driving it ran about 21 22 cents. In 74 when the gas crisis happened it went up to about 35.

Ditto! And lower in the "Gas Wars".  But back then, Ten bucks was a the cost of a great Saturday night date.

San Francisco, Nineteen Seventy Two ~ I would coast my bug on fumes into the Gulf station down the road from the Kappa Phi Delta house with five bucks in my pocket.  After filling up, I'd have enough change to drive to Munchie Burgers off Geary and pig out on burgers, fries and a shake.  And STILL have enough for a snack later!  ^_^

I was pumping gas at a Standard station in 1979 at 51 cents a gallon.

It was 87 cents at Swifty's in Indiana in 1994.

52 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Always get a little confused....we call a 200L drum of fuel down here a "44 gallon drum" and I think you fella's call them a "55 gallon drum"? The difference between Imperial and US gallons. 

Yeah, details details details.

2.22 AUD/litre = $1.56 US/liter

times 3.78 liters per US gallon

= $5.90 

20 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yeah, details details details.

2.22 AUD/litre = $1.56 US/liter

times 3.78 liters per US gallon

= $5.90 

So its actually cheaper here? That's incredible!

More than 2/3 of the price of gas up here is "Direct Tax"... Up here where there is plenty ....

The taxes We pay are more than they sell Our Gas For in Montana after it is trucked south...

Jabez Cowboy

Just found this:

GlobalPetrolPrices.com as of May 19:

COUNTRY PRICE PER GALLON IN U.S. DOLLARS
Hong Kong $10.966
Norway $9.643
Denmark $9.323
Central African Republic $9.031
Monaco $8.938
Finland $8.894
Iceland $8.755
Greece $8.709
Netherlands $8.582
Singapore $8.399

When I went in the Navy in the 70's, gas was 39 cents. Six years later when I got out, it was 86 cents and we were all wondering how the hell we would be able to afford to drive to work.

I started driving in 1963, gas here in NE Ohio was .27 gal. same as a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Archived