SASS Wire Forum

SKB lever question

Tennessee williams

That would be a Fast Eddie question if I ever heard one.

That’s a good question TW. I’ve also noticed some longer that what comes stock on them. I’ve wondered about that being legal also

5 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

That’s a good question TW. I’ve also noticed some longer that what comes stock on them. I’ve wondered about that being legal also

Lengthening the top opening lever on a SxS shotgun is an ILLEGAL MODIFICATION.

51 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I've seen several SKB levers sitting noticeably higher off the tang than factory. I know we can bend them to within .5" sideways but can they be raised as well? If so, how much?

That is not a listed modification.

I'm researching the ROC archives to see if that has ever been specifically addressed.

stand by.jpg

22 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I've seen several SKB levers sitting noticeably higher off the tang than factory. I know we can bend them to within .5" sideways but can they be raised as well? If so, how much?

Gamer :blink:

:P

2 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Lol, I wasn't advocating for it. I actually feel it is illegal because I can't find a reference for it since it's an external mod and THINK I remember seeing something to that affect but can't be sure. I was at a match several months ago and noticed one at the unloading table while I was at the loading table. That's how high it was. It reminded me of a rooster tail. It may be legal to do and I can see where it would cut down on MY sg fobbles as usually when I miss my lever it is because I go over it. If legal, I'd probably raise mine 1/4". If not legal, I'll be able to say so.

20 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

You know it!

If ole TN can't legally bend his lever upwards.......... he'll bend his stock downward........ :lol:

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

You know it!

If ole TN can't legally bend his lever upwards.......... he'll bend his stock downward........ :lol:

..........Widder

And posts a "how to" video. Duelest need all the help they can get.

1 hour ago, Roy's creek Dan, SASS 73697 said:

I have worked on several SKB's, the stock lever runs from almost touching the tang to about 3/8ths up. thy are not all the same.

I'd have thought a company such as SKB would have better quality control than that walking out of the factory. I wonder what a top lever from a pistol grip shotgun would look like on a straight grip shotgun, if there'd be any difference. Regardless I won't be doing it if it's illegal. I wouldn't want there to be any question of whether or not I bent it or if it was supposed "factory". I've seen them about 7/8 or so. Ain't no way even with a blind QC person inspecting a gun assembled last thing Friday evening before his wedding day that's factory.:D

30 minutes ago, Roy's creek Dan, SASS 73697 said:

I just re-read my post i meant 3/16ths not 3/8s big dif. my bad. When ordering there is no difference between straight and PG. I have never seen on at 7/8 :blink: that would be extreme.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, my 3 are right under 1/8 up. Those ones I referenced were pretty obviously bent upwards. They looked like a rooster tail. I can see why people would do it. I just question the legality of it since it's an external mod and not listed as being approved. If it's legal though, I'll bend mine up a hair.

You were right to begin with. If it’s not mentioned as an allowed external modification in the handbook then it is considered illegal in this game. 

Obviously as PWB has spoken this is an unauthorized mod.  But…. In my opinion the “Newly O'Brian” rule ought to be in play. If Newly could do it it ought to be allowed! 

I didn't bend mine intentionally, I was just a little over ecstatic during a stage! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Obviously as PWB has spoken this is an unauthorized mod.  But…. In my opinion the “Newly O'Brian” rule ought to be in play. If Newly could do it it ought to be allowed! 

I think PWB is checking his archives to see if it was discussed, unless I missed a post somewhere. If legal there probably should be a limit, much the same as we have with the sideways bend.

I remember several years ago a group of shooters showed up at Winter Range with the locking blocks removed from their doubles.  They held the gun closed and after shooting simply took their hand off the fore end and the barrels fell open.  No need to touch that awful top lever.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I remember several years ago a group of shooters showed up at Winter Range with the locking blocks removed from their doubles.  They held the gun closed and after shooting simply took their hand off the fore end and the barrels fell open.  No need to touch that awful top lever.

I’ve seen a few of those. I do t think it was an intentional mod, more just wore out or overly aggressive “tuning” 

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Hmmm…..internal mod….I have an SKB with a worn spring that opens when fired. I’ve been planning on having Fast Eddie fix it. Perhaps I should try shooting it that way instead.

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hmmm…..internal mod….I have an SKB with a worn spring that opens when fired. I’ve been planning on having Fast Eddie fix it. Perhaps I should try shooting it that way instead.

You'll still not be as fast as a good 97 shooter......... :D

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You probably only need Medium Speed Bobby to work on it. He does all my work.

20 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That was ruled an ILLEGAL MODIFICATION subject to a SDQ if used. and still is:

Firearms must operate as intended by the original pre-1900 designs they depict. Firearms must function in a safe manner.

The use of a non-SASS legal firearm results in a Stage Disqualification (SDQ) for each stage the illegal firearm is used. Penalties for illegal equipment/items and firearms are not awarded in arrears, but should be corrected before the competitor shoots the next stage.

Internal modifications not referenced here that cannot be seen while the firearm is at rest (action closed) are allowed provided they do not affect the external operation or directly conflict with one of the modifications listed here.

SHB p.32

Archived