SASS Wire Forum

Cruising then and now

Trigger Mike

Back when I was a teenager and went cruising it was with the windows down and the music loud as it would go.   

Last night my son traded his 2014 ford f150 with 102k miles for a 2020 with 26k miles.  He wanted to cruise and see his friends.  He mentioned me meeting him in town in my souped up truck a little later.  

My 12 year old rode with me to meet him. On the way we listened to a guy talk about the recent bitcoin slide .  After we met up the 2 boys rode together and I ride thru town with my windows down listening to mark Levin talk about the presidential election of 1800.  A big difference from ozzy Osborne and led zeppelin and def leopard.   

When we went “cruising”, it was with the headers uncapped and the slicks on!

Many of those cars didn’t have radios or back seats. Mine didn’t have carpet, a heater, or a spare tire and only the driver’s window rolled down.

It was a different world back then!!

My best cruising car was a 78 Jeep CJ7 Golden Eagle. Top down, doors off, Pioneer stereo and Jenson Speakers.

CJ7.jpg

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I ride thru town with my windows down listening to mark Levin talk about the presidential election of 1800.  A big difference from ozzy Osborne and led zeppelin and def leopard.   

Naw... Wolfman Jack.  :lol:

I cruised in my 1965 Mustang, which I still have.

We would go from one burger joint to the other, usually ending up at the local Sonic. 

Then I would cruise out of town, on a county road, for about ten miles, and turn around, and play "Thunder Road", and haul back into town at 100 m.p.h.. 

Yep, we still had drive-in movies back then, (we still have one about 7 miles from my house) so after the flicks we would begin the cruising (once I unfogged my windows). I would always order a cherry-lime-vanilla 7up, to drink, and onion rings, or a Frito pie...all for under a dollar.  

Gas was 34 cents a gallon, by the way, even with a demo-rat as president. 

I would not trade that cruising time, back then, for anything they do today. 

At least I know, and remember, what a freekin' caboose was, and looked like!!!

Mattel Shootin' Shell Cap guns forever!!!! :lol:  Help Cecil help! I'm comin' Beany Boy!!!

I had a ‘66 Chevy II SS.  I had a partner with a ‘65 big block Corvette.  We’d “cruise” Nashville on Friday and Saturday night looking for match races.  

There were four or five large drive in burger joints in different parts of town where you knew there was somebody with cash and a fast car.  There were also several places where there was a closed road or a new section of road that had not been opened.

Much money and sometimes a car title changed hands!

We even had a section of road where the older guys and the cops went to race!!

Like I said!!  It was a different world back then!!

A picture of a picture. I had this when I met my wife. Sure do miss that car. Had a great stereo, a bored out 350 with open headers. I had Craiger rims for it but never put them on. Gave them away after I sold the car. 

I was 17 years old, had a good job and a 21 year old girlfriend. Hair to the middle of my back. I won't share the rest here. Good days for sure. 

IMG_20220404_215028707.jpg

73 buick skylark was my favorite,  but I rear-ended a pick up and couldn't close the hood after that so thought it'd be cool to drive without it until it rained and died at my girlfriends friend's house and they got it on the road the next day and it died again and had it towed and I couldn't pay the tow bill to get it out.

Ah yes, cruising.

Didn't matter what car we were cruising in...64 AMC Rambler with the Jensen "Mindblower" stereo/speakers, 70 GTO with the 400 Ram Air 4 heads, 69 Chevelle with the 400 small block and slip & slide powerglide or any other car. We always had to cruise Clearwater Beach with Ted Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever or Electric Ballroom playing loud...real loud. We went down there to obstensively "pick up women", never did from what I remember. We'd always end up in the Pantry Pride parking lot around midnight to brag about how fast our cars were, drum up a race or just to sit and BS. The cops never bothered or harassed us at either location. 

Fun times and some good memories in my misspent Ute.

36 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

73 buick skylark was my favorite,  but I rear-ended a pick up and couldn't close the hood after that so thought it'd be cool to drive without it until it rained and died at my girlfriends friend's house and they got it on the road the next day and it died again and had it towed and I couldn't pay the tow bill to get it out.

I had a white 69 Skylark GS.  Loved that car.  Sold it when I briefly moved to the northeast because I couldn't protect it from the elements, and have regretted it ever since.

'64 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible. Factory Hurst 4 speed 383 

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

After we met up the 2 boys rode together and I ride thru town with my windows down listening to mark Levin talk about the presidential election of 1800.  A big difference from ozzy Osborne and led zeppelin and def leopard.   

As we say around these parts, "that sounds like a 'you' problem!" In that situation with my daughters, I'd be listening to Zeppelin and a laundry list of other rock bands over talk radio! There's always time to listen to that. Not enough time to make memories with the kids.

2 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The Cruisin' movie: 

oIJHfGsN57GDyyn60LX1e5BDU5z.jpg

I lived a LOT of that!!  B)

You guys are just youngsters, I used to go cruising in downtown Calgary in a '49 Studebaker Champion back in the late 50's 

Bought my first car in 1976. I paid $750.00 for a blue 1968 Chevy Caprice 2 door with dark blue vinyl top, Rally Centers and a 327 engine. I couldn't have been more proud if it had been a brand new Corvette! I put a Pioneer Am/Fm Tape Player & Jensen speakers in it. Cruised from one end of town to the other every weekend night. Life was a lot simpler then. Mine was this exact color, but didn't have the hidden headlights. I gave the car to my youngest sister when I purchased my next car. I lost track of it when she was finished with it.816255344_ChevyCaprice.thumb.jpg.829044e96fd7b1e0f9dd7fc9d477105f.jpg

Archived