SASS Wire Forum

For those that remember the Singing Cowboys

Until they got up to number three, Rex Allen, I had only heard of one of the other singers.

Herb Jeffries. I believe he was the bronze buckaroo. I got two of his movies. But them other six people - who??

Eddie Dean was the best of all of them IMHO 

Roy Rogers is a close second.

I knew of the top four: Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Rex Allen, and Tex Ritter.  The rest I don’t recall.  

I’m sure my mother’s father knew them all. Grandpa John Windlinger, was a leather smith in Inglewood, CA.  Grandpa Windlinger made gun rigs and saddles for most all the Hollywood B Western cowboys.  

I only know of Eddie Dean from the Westerns channel. He was a little before my time.  

What I am about to admit will probably get "boos", but I never cared for any of  'em. I considered them all "Dudes" when I was a kid.

My Dad loved watching the old reruns of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Tex Ritter, Eddie Dean and a couple others.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What I am about to admit will probably get "boos", but I never cared for any of  'em. I considered them all "Dudes" when I was a kid.

My Dad loved watching the old reruns of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Tex Ritter, Eddie Dean and a couple others.

Not Dudes perhaps. Just Hollywooders. ;)

But some of them were actually cowboys before they became actors.
As a kid all I wanted was six guns, horses, and fisticuffs. But no singing or kissin! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not Dudes perhaps. Just Hollywooders. ;)

But some of them were actually cowboys before they became actors.
As a kid all I wanted was six guns, horses, and fisticuffs. But no singing or kissin! :lol:

I had a full cowboy outfit when I was little, gunbelt and all. I loved Westerns, just not the singing cowboy shows.:)

Yes, a big difference in country music, and cowboy music. 

It was a nice distraction, and addition to the "B westerns" back then. Not for everybody, but certainly for those sitting around a campfire, on a dude ranch, or circling a herd of cows at night. Not any worse than a Broadway musical, where they burst into song, and away from reality, at the drop of a hat (the musical "Oklahoma" comes to mind).  

Looking back, it was a simpler time, a more naive time, perhaps. We've changed a lot, since those movies were made. Changed for the better? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Go out on the streets of Las Angeles, or San Francisco, or Seattle, or Baltimore, or Detroit, and walk around barefooted, and get back to me on that.    

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

BOO!!!:P

The '21 NJ State SASS championship match was a tribute to the singin' cowboys. Each stage's starting line was a short verse, from an old time cowboy song. It was a truly terrific match.

Eddie Dean is one of my favorites also.

I had heard of him from listening to the old internet radio station - The Cowboy Cultural Society that was run by Laura Ellen Hopper before she passed away in 2007.   I never happened to watch one of his films before that point.

That was a great station that played such an amazing variety of Western, Country and Southern Rock music, run by a fantastic lady who left us way too soon.

As for the list,  I would have also ranked Jimmy Wakely higher as well.

Sirius XM broadcasts a weekly show by Riders In the Sky's Ranger Doug and his saddle pal, "Sidemeat".   They play western music recordings going back to the early 1900's up to the end of the B Western era.  The singers above have all "appeared" on the show in audio clips from movies as well as from albums.  There are a number of singers, not cowboy actors, who were well known back in the early part of the 20th Century that made many Western music recordings; males and females. 

I would say that a top western singer, although not as prolific as Roy Rogers or Gene Autry in terms of the number of recordings was Marty Robbins.  The first song, El Paso, in the El Paso trilogy is probably one of the most recognized western songs.  There are a number of others as well.

58 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Sirius XM broadcasts a weekly show by Riders In the Sky's Ranger Doug and his saddle pal, "Sidemeat".   They play western music recordings going back to the early 1900's up to the end of the B Western era.  The singers above have all "appeared" on the show in audio clips from movies as well as from albums.  There are a number of singers, not cowboy actors, who were well known back in the early part of the 20th Century that made many Western music recordings; males and females. 

I would say that a top western singer, although not as prolific as Roy Rogers or Gene Autry in terms of the number of recordings was Marty Robbins.  The first song, El Paso, in the El Paso trilogy is probably one of the most recognized western songs.  There are a number of others as well.

What channel is that on and what time?

Archived