SASS Wire Forum

Why is it still made?

Alpo

When I was a kid there was this stuff called baby aspirin. It was chewable, and was orange flavored, and was much smaller than a regular aspirin tablet. It was for little kids.

But within the last several years they have decided that giving aspirin to children is a bad thing.

Last November I was in the hospital and they gave me an aspirin. Orange flavored chewable.

Taking my daily "low dose" aspirin, one day I decided to chew it, instead of swallowing it with some water. While I was able to break it up with my teeth, it was obvious that it was not designed to be chewed, nor was it orange flavored.

And that got me to wonder. If you're not supposed to give aspirin to kids, and they do not still make it for people on a low dose aspirin regimen, why do they still make children's aspirin?

A total dose of less than 45 mg/kg of aspirin was found to increase the risk of Reye's syndrome 20-fold, and the authorities concluded that any amount of aspirin is unsafe in a child with a viral infection, regardless of the dose.

Chewable aspirin is absorbed into the blood stream much faster that other formulations, which has implications in suspected heart attacks. It then works to keep blood flowing and can help prevent further damage to the heart, increasing chances of survival.

42 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Chewable aspirin is absorbed into the blood stream much faster that other formulations, which has implications in suspected heart attacks. It then works to keep blood flowing and can help prevent further damage to the heart, increasing chances of survival.

So they gave me chewable in the ER because I was having a heart attack and chewable works faster, but the daily dose I'm taking does not need to be chewable?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

So they gave me chewable in the ER because I was having a heart attack and chewable works faster, but the daily dose I'm taking does not need to be chewable?

Yep, that's about right. 

Why does "low dose" 81 mg aspirin cost more than "full dose" 325 mg aspirin? Buy a pill splitter for three or four bucks and make 4 "low dose" tabs out of 1 regular aspirin for a quarter the cost.

19 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Why does "low dose" 81 mg aspirin cost more than "full dose" 325 mg aspirin? Buy a pill splitter for three or four bucks and make 4 "low dose" tabs out of 1 regular aspirin for a quarter the cost.

Okay, I call FOUL! You're violating one of the unwritten cardinal rules of the Saloon; YOU'RE MAKING SENSE!! :rolleyes:We'll have none of that here, especially in a ALPO post!:D

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

:rolleyes:We'll have none of that here, especially in a ALPO pos

All Alpo-posts make sense. To them with sense enough to understand them.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Different circumstances.

Are used to take low-dose aspirin and switch to Plavix due to TIA use. I would only take baby aspirin as many of the enteric-coated low-dose aspirins do not work. And I am a pharmacist

On 6/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

A total dose of less than 45 mg/kg of aspirin was found to increase the risk of Reye's syndrome 20-fold, and the authorities concluded that any amount of aspirin is unsafe in a child with a viral infection, regardless of the dose.

Bones has it exactly right. Enteric coating aspirin is basically a gimmick. The way it causes stomach upset involves prostaglandins and a lot of complicated stuff. But they do make this stuff to sale and if it sounds good people that don't know better will buy it.And baby aspirin is cheap!

On 6/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, Alpo said:

When I was a kid there was this stuff called baby aspirin. It was chewable, and was orange flavored, and was much smaller than a regular aspirin tablet. It was for little kids.

I think I remember those aspirins.  I believe the brand name was 'St. Joseph."  It's been a long time but I seem to remember getting their calendars from a drugstore in Punxsutawney.

Archived