SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke

German Jim

This is probably a personal preference (maybe not), what would be your choice for a short stroke kit for an Uberti/Cimarron '73  short rifle in 38-40?  

I installed a PGW Super Short stroke kit in my 1873 and a C45S carrier.  I don't know that it's made me any faster, but... it sure makes working the lever less work!

I'm going to say C&I third generation.  The shorter the stroke, the more work needs to be done to lighten the action.  The shortest strokes might be needed for the "machine-gun" shooters, but I doubt you will be shooting a 38-40 that fast.

5 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm going to say C&I third generation.  The shorter the stroke, the more work needs to be done to lighten the action.  The shortest strokes might be needed for the "machine-gun" shooters, but I doubt you will be shooting a 38-40 that fast.

I don't think so either :lol:

Pioneer standard. I can show you mine or Thunder's at the next shoot. Since we both shoot BP we really can't get fast enough to really need a super short stroke. It does help the gun easier to keep on target without so much arm motion.

Cowboys and Indian have the Cadillac of Short Stroke Kits.  They are cartridge specific, as in large bore and small bore to make your life much simpler.  You will also need to change out the Main Spring and Lever Side Springs.  For lever side springs I would recommend Slix (minor fitting required) and the Firing Pin Return Spring.  

Archived