SASS Wire Forum

Stiff loading gate on 1873...help

There was a recent thread on stiff/heavy loading gates.  I have one!  Someone suggested using a

1866 loading gate.  Can someone give me a link or name to get one of these?   I tried to

do a search but no luck.  Thanks Jim

VORSICHT!!  ACHTUNG!!  Ok, be careful.  The actual 1866 Ladle (loading gate) does not work on the 1873.  Shotgun Boogie has an 1866 "STYLE" Ladle for the 1873.

PS: The OEM Ladle can be "tuned" but one must exercise caution.  Perhaps even buy a spare.  You sure the real problem isn't the Magazine Spring??

Cowboys and Indian store sells a lighten one.   Got mine from Online Outpost      GW

23 minutes ago, Frybread Fred said:

The shotgun boogie model is fantastic.  Makes a huge difference.

Like he said! One of the best accessories I've ever got. No lip for easier loading and for a reload.

Shotgun Boogie sells two versions, the gold color titanium nitrated version for $79.00 and the and the "regular finish" version for $49.00. 

https://sbgwllc.com/shop/66-style-uberti-1873-loading-gate-all-calibers/

It appears to be available.

Make sure your rifle serial number starts with W.

The older version had slightly different size and I think the screw differed as well.

3 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

https://sbgwllc.com/shop/66-style-uberti-1873-loading-gate-all-calibers/

It appears to be available.

Make sure your rifle serial number starts with W.

The older version had slightly different size and I think the screw differed as well.

I know it states this on SGB's website, but I don't understand the serial number thing.  On '66's yes, the loading gate (and rifle sideplate) changed to a larger screw when s/n started over with W prefix.  But '73's did not, to my knowledge.  VTI only shows one part for the '73 whereas they show the older and newer for the '66.  

A BIG PLUS ONE for Abilene.

As Abilene stated, the Loading Gate (Ladle) for 1866s changed at the "W" prefix.  Didn't make it any better, just changed the mounting screw.

1873's have had the same Ladle forever. 

On 6/14/2022 at 6:23 PM, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

Thanks............but they are out of stock.   Ratz

I just ordered 1 from Shotgun Boogie this afternoon and it shows to have shipped. 

Randy

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I know it states this on SGB's website, but I don't understand the serial number thing.  On '66's yes, the loading gate (and rifle sideplate) changed to a larger screw when s/n started over with W prefix.  But '73's did not, to my knowledge.  VTI only shows one part for the '73 whereas they show the older and newer for the '66.  

I emailed Boogie and he answered, said there is a difference in the measurements, and so his ladle has problems in the older frames.  Apparently that difference does not affect Uberti ladles.

2 hours ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

So the web site is wrong and my 1873 will be fine even though it doesn't

have  a w in the serial number?

No.  You have the older frame so Boogie says there will be a problem with his ladle, (even though the same Uberti ladle fits older and newer okay.)

On 6/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

Thanks............but they are out of stock.   Ratz

I've got some.

Archived