SASS Wire Forum

Looking for marinades for chicken or pork

The plan is to buy two whole chickens, butcher them, cut into parts, marinate some parts, and freeze in sizes of one or two servings. Later when I am told the grill will be hot, I will thaw a package, bake in the oven, and put on a hot grill to get some charring.

I mention pork because I would do similarly with pork chops or loins.

I will do one or two of the packages with leftover dill pickle juice.

I can find other marinades, but what do you like?

I make a marinade with a touch of cayenne pepper, day old coffee, Worstershire, a little salt, basil, onion powder, and liquid smoke,(hickory or mesquite).  If I’m wanting sweet and savory, I’ll add some dark honey.

I also sometimes add a little Marsalla wine when the mood strikes.

I’m working on a low salt Creole spice/rub that could be added to a marinade.  All of the store-bought Creole products are WAAAAY too salty!!

I'm finding myself more and more often keeping it very simple.  Salt, pepper, Lee and Perrins.  I might add some onion and garlic.  Or some of the Savory Spice Shop Renaissance Garden Blend.

If I want more zip I might use some enchilada sauce instead of the above.

I've found these pouches of sauce to be very useful. When you want maybe a quarter cup.   Beats the heck out of opening a can, using a little bit of it, then having to decant into a storage container.

lavictoria-redtwist-enchiladasauce-v1b1000x1000.thumb.png.577cb8815e94b71aa70d2417715c73ba.png

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Try this Huli Huli Marinade. Did chicken thighs for a work cookout this spring figuring to have a few left over. They ate them all and wanted more.

Hawaiian Huli-Huli Chicken Marinade 

I will back this one , lived in Hawaii so they had marinated chicken. Mine is a little different than this but adds liquid smoke. 
 Little trick if you have a vacuum sealer is to put chicken and marinade in one and vacuum seal it if forces marinade deeper into meat .

Try this.  Mix in a little Worcestershire and taco seasoning to your taste.   It's pretty thick.  Thin it down as needed16552618970654208918933655339734.thumb.jpg.1bfde37bd8828dd89b3c0437fa31cabf.jpg with your favorite BBQ beverage. 

Ditto on the Huli Huli :wub:

I don't like to use someone else's commercial tag line but.....

I use this S@%T on everything!

It's especially great on Salmon under the broiler! But works equally well on chicken, pork !

Kikkoman-Teriyaki-Sauce-Garlic-And-Green-Onion-205-Oz-Case-Of-6-Kikkoman_1024x1024.jpg

Best thing I ever added to pork was an overly ripe mango.

For pork tenderloin:

2.5-3# tenderloins

Can of Pepsi 

2 tbspn brown or yellow mustard 

1 tbspn horseradish mustard

2 tbspn ketchup 

1 or 2 tbspn favorite store bought BBQ sauce

Poke hole in tenderloins all around

Place in 2 liter flat Rubbermaid container. 
Mix up soda and ingredients. 
Pour over and submerge tenderloins. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight. 
Smoke ‘em at 210 degrees for about 2.5-3 hours. 

Yummy!

Archived