SASS Wire Forum

New pistola

Standard Manufacturing. .45 colt.  The picture does not do it justice.  The color case hardening and all the finishing looks like it came out of Doug Turnbull's shop, and all the screws face forward.  I'd like to know how they do that.  The whole thing is machined out of 4140 steel, no casting anywhere.  I might also add that the action is "butter smooth" as opposed to my two gen three Colt SAA's which both felt "gritty" the first couple of dozen times I cocked them.  They finally smoothed out after a couple of dozen rounds thru each, not something you'd expect from The Holiest of Holy, Colt!

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

beautiful revolver , i too would like to know how they time alll those screws so perfectly 

Run the screw in, note how far off axis you are (say 90°), remove screw and grind/file that much off the end of the thread (e.g. 1/4).

Or you can cheat using locktite by running it all the way in and backing off a little...but that would be cheating! :ph34r:

Yes, great looking pistol!!

7 hours ago, Sue said:

Run the screw in, note how far off axis you are (say 90°), remove screw and grind/file that much off the end of the thread (e.g. 1/4).

That would only work if the threaded end touches/locks the counterpart (like with set screws) instead of the head. So, the shoulder of the screw head had to be trimmed down, but I don't expect that on a lens head.

If the screws are not casted (and therefore the slot aligns randomly to the thread) a poor soul (apprentice) could previously screw each one of the whole batch into a reference thread and has them all sorted by angle. Or you can buy them already sorted...?

Another cheap solution besides the locktite may be to use thin washers under the screw heads, but I doubt that in a quality product.

I also would like to know how they achieve the alignment in that case!

I really didn't notice it until last night, but besides all the screws, the trigger, the cylinder base pin and the ejector rod are all fire blued.  The attention to details in the piece is outstanding.  Had I known all this before I bought my two Gen 3 Colts I would have gone with Standard Mfg.  Sorry Col. Colt, but you are missing the boat.

Indexing screws is not that hard if you have to tools.

Option 1. Have a selection of screws and try different ones till you get one that is correct. This is very time consuming.

Option 2. Do not fully cut the countersink or counter bore in the frame of the firearm.  Install the screw and note how many degrees it lacks from being the right orientation. Then increase the depth of the countersink/counter bore so that the screw indexes properly.

Option 3. The underside of the screw head can be adjusted till the screw is properly indexed. 

Usually a combination of all three methods are used. The screws are pre sorted in a test fixture by degrees of offset. Then a screw is chosen and installed; noting the degrees the screw head is off by. Then a second screw is chosen that is really close based on the number of degrees needed to get the correct alignment. Final fitting is done using option 2 or 3. This will result in the absolute best looking finish with all the screws not only indexed but sitting correctly in the frame.

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Been thinking of getting one of these. How do they compare to say a USFA?

any info or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

My main match guns were USFA Rodeos which are finished in matte black so they can't compare to the finish in the Standard, but as far as operational smoothness and accuracy the Rodeos are right up there.  As far as finish the only thing that I can compare the Standard with are Doug Turnbull's.

13 minutes ago, E.D. BLACK said:

Colt didn’t miss any boat , they’ve been doing it for decades - it’s called qualified screws .

I don't know about Colt qualified screws but my two brand new Gen 3 SAA's felt like they had fine grain sand in them when I got them.  Definitively not impressive.

The last Standard single action, that I saw, was $2,000.00, not counting shipping and sales tax. :blink:

For that price, the screws had dang well better be indexed!!! :lol:

I have seen just one, at a gun show, once. Nice looking revolver. Haven't read any negative things about them. 

10 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I don't know about Colt qualified screws but my two brand new Gen 3 SAA's felt like they had fine grain sand in them when I got them.  Definitively not impressive.

Every Colt I ever bought was rough and stiff out of the box. I had to replace springs in all of them. I still love 'em though. I have 4 that I shoot all the time!

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Every Colt I ever bought was rough and stiff out of the box. I had to replace springs in all of them. I still love 'em though. I have 4 that I shoot all the time!

I guess that is what kept master gunsmiths like Bob Munden in business.  I'll never get rid of my Colts, but they were a disappointment.

10 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

The last Standard single action, that I saw, was $2,000.00, not counting shipping and sales tax. :blink:

For that price, the screws had dang well better be indexed!!! :lol:

I have seen just one, at a gun show, once. Nice looking revolver. Haven't read any negative things about them. 

I bought mine directly from Standard Manufacturing.  It took seven weeks to get it and the price was $1895.00 plus $35.00 shipping.  No tax to Florida.  Yes it is pricey but dang it's pretty, and at my age who cares, I can't take anything with me when I keel over!

Good luck even finding a new Colt that cheap. I only see them on Gunjoker and for well above two grand.

The only thing I don't understand is, whyizzit that every clone SAA manufacturer makes them to their own proprietary dimensions? Uberti parts only fit a Uberti, Pietta a Pietta, Colt a Colt, and so forth with only a few exceptions.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Good luck even finding a new Colt that cheap. I only see them on Gunjoker and for well above two grand.

The only thing I don't understand is, whyizzit that every clone SAA manufacturer makes them to their own proprietary dimensions? Uberti parts only fit a Uberti, Pietta a Pietta, Colt a Colt, and so forth with only a few exceptions.

You've answered your own question; best way to guarantee a continuing flow of business for replacement parts.

LL

NIB Turnbull USFA's are going for well over 3 grand, almost any Premier USFA will go for $2500 +

Sorry you couldn't give me a new Colt, well you could but I'd sell it and get another USFA !!

Some time back I had a new Colt SAA that was giving me trouble and when I called Colt they

couldn't understand why I was shooting it as they weren't made to be fired..

didn't I realize I was ruining the "collector" value....her words not mine.

Never had a Colt that could compare to any USFA to include their base model rodeo as to fitment and the action.

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I know they won't divulge their specs but do these fit same holster as an Uberti, Pietta or  New Vaquero?

Thinking of getting one but don't want new leather

my thanks in advance

My holsters were originally made to fit Ruger Vaqueros, the original.  I've never had Ruger's but I've got Uberti's, Pietta's and USFA Roseos, which were my match guns.  The Standard fits perfectly.  If you do go for one the best advise I can give is buy it directly from Standard Manufacturing.  You are guaranteed the price and delivery but you will have to wait 8 to 10 weeks.  Mine took 6.5 weeks before it was shipped via Fed Ex. to my FFL.  Be aware that once you order it you cannot change anything on the order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

You've answered your own question; best way to guarantee a continuing flow of business for replacement parts.

LL

But, but... whyizzit then that everybody's always out of their spare parts? :huh:

On 6/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I guess that is what kept master gunsmiths like Bob Munden in business.  I'll never get rid of my Colts, but they were a disappointment.

Ubertis and Piettas are also rough out of the box. They also need some slicking up unless you pay extra for “ Competition action jobs”.

Rugers as well. It’s a safety thing. 

Archived