SASS Wire Forum

Just got back from an all you can eat catfish lunch!!  Coleslaw, white beans w/chopped onion, hush puppies, and bobbers.

Y’all may not know what bobbers are.  Chopped bacon, grits, and cheese with spices, battered and fried up like a hush puppy. Served with a remoulade sauce or ranch dressing.  Do the remoulade!! Trust me!!

I’M STUFFED!! The pie ‘n’ ice cream will hafta’ wait a little bit!!

53 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Do the remoulade!! Trust me!!

I don't know what remoulade is, but ranch dressing is in atrocity in the eyes of Julia Childs, Graham Kerr, and Justin Wilson.

Yer killin me here!!

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't know what remoulade is, but ranch dressing is in atrocity in the eyes of Julia Childs, Graham Kerr, and Justin Wilson.

....... excuse me but, who are they why are their opinions important?  :huh:

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... excuse me but, who are they why are their opinions important?  :huh:

Graham Kerr and Justin Wilson were pretty good chefs.  Justin Wilson was a Cajun chef who knew Creole and Southern foods!!

I was never a big fan of Julia Child, but in this instance, I totally agree!  Ranch dressing??  RETCH!!

Remoulade is a spicy mayonnaise based dipping and sandwich sauce that, when properly prepared, is JUST FABULOUS, particularly on fried and grilled snacks and seafood!!  It has Creole mustard, prepared horseradish, fresh garlic, hot sauce, black, white, and cayenne pepper, basil, dijon mustard, a little lemon juice, and a little salt, along with various other spices depending on what restaurant version you encounter.  I’ve never found a version that I didn’t like!

Weren’t no pie tonight, but the ice cream cone I had was right tasty!

On your advice I got this to pair with the pie.

82093CCE-99DA-404A-A3C6-C3C7AB497979.jpeg

I caused my poor wife more grief this week by baking another loaf of my world famous nanner nut bread.  She's not speaking to me, but I hear muffled grumbling through the mouthful of that awesome goodness I baked.

22 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

A big ol' slice of hot apple pie with a touch of nutmeg and cinnamon, and a scoop of Blue Bell ice cream.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__recipes__images__2013__03__20130323-anna-apple-pie-vanilla-ice-cream-slice-00fec96e95174030a50888954a95718b.jpg

Well I got the ice cream, now I hunt for apple pie! 

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I love the stuff. Even met some of the family when they came to CA in the late 80s.

I’ll crack it open as soon as I think up an appropriate dinner dish.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’ll crack it open as soon as I think up an appropriate dinner dish.

The experts say blue cheese, foie gras, chocolate cheesecake, ham, roasted almonds, apple pie, fruit cake, tiramisu, and crème brûlée.

26 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

The experts say blue cheese, foie gras, chocolate cheesecake, ham, roasted almonds, apple pie, fruit cake, tiramisu, and crème brûlée.

Tiramisu! The magic word!!

Alas, right now I have neither. My willpower allowed me to pass up both at the deli yesterday. But I may surrender to the dark side

The grocery store I go to has quarter pies but they didn’t have any apple. I’m single and I’m not buying a whole pie! Gotta watch the weight.

I’ll try again today! Darn you Okie!!

10 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I just made a batch of apple pie. It makes a nice dessert but can sneak up on you if you drink to much.

Getting a scoop of ice cream down into the bottle is a problem, too :) 

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The grocery store I go to has quarter pies but they didn’t have any apple. I’m single and I’m not buying a whole pie! Gotta watch the weight.

I’ll try again today! Darn you Okie!!

Buy me the pie and I'll let you have a sliver.

• 3 months later...

Going back over some history and found this again.

Left up to me almost any kind of apple pie (not the bottled kind, though) would be eaten hot with  big slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese.  

I've had more run-ins with eating establishments over this.  They seem to want to put a tiny piece of cheese on top of the pie, so I have to talk real slow and emphasize what I want.

One place that prides itself on their apple pie even to the name of the place....and whose pie isn't all that good anyway....gave me a slice of cheese about the size of a playing card (SERIOUSLY) and told me if i wanted more it would cost $1.45 a slice.  The whenI told them what I thought, politely mind you, the manager got snarky and plain damned rude, so I walked out.  Haven't been back, not going back.

Life is too short for that kind of crap and there are SO ANY good places to eat.  Like right across the street from that place.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Left up to me almost any kind of apple pie (not the bottled kind, though) would be eaten hot with  big slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese.  

I'm the other way.  Room temp, no cheese.  I've tried and tried and tried apple pie with cheese and it just doesn't work for me.  Different strokes and all that.

I’m disappointed. 

When I saw Pie, I was thinking the staple of Buckskinning (Rendezvous).  start with 1 gallon of apple cider (raw) add brown sugar/honey, cinnamon cloves, nutmeg, etc. (aka apple pie spices) to taste and simmer until blended. Cool to room temperature.  Then mix in 750 ml (1/5) 195 proof ever clear or 1 quart of high quality moonshine. Let sit  for a week. 

Enjoy

I’ll try and find the full recipe. 

Archived