SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 overall length question

Pulp, SASS#28319

That big batch of ..45-70 cases I was bragging about may have a problem.  They are only 1.8 inches long.  If I full length resize they will stretch out to 1.9.  I know they'd be safe with BP, but now I'm kinda worried about mid-range (lever action) smokeless loads.  I suppose I could trim them on down to 2.04 and use LeverEvolution bullets with them.  Any suggestions?

Wonder why would anyone cut them down so far below specification? 2.105" is SAAMI specification. Hornady Leveroution 45-70 cases are a shorter at 2.035".  Cannot fathom why someone would cut cases down 1.900"

One of those adjustable brass trimmers, where the cutter is held in place on the circular bar by a set screw.

If you put too much pressure on it when you are turning the brass, the cutter moves under pressure, and you end up getting short brass. Been there, done that.

That's why all my brass trimmers are made by Lee. They cannot change size.

1 hour ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

DUH!  My math skills are way off.  LeverRevolution bullets require 2.04 trim length.  Kinda hard to trim 1.9 down to 2.04.  

I reckon I'll just use TrailBoss or BP in them.

First thing is to get hold of the vendor and tell them how short it is.

Then put it in your trimmer and turn it backwards to add length.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Just got an email from Hodgdon, they won’t recommend any loads for brass that short and FTX bullets.  Don’t really blame them.

As long as you maintain the proper OAL you can use those short cases with cast lead bullets. Just roll crimp them into the lead. 

As for the FXT ammo. I would test crimp a few at the proper OAL using a collet style crimp die. I'm betting that you can get an adequate crimp so that they can be used in a lever gun. 

35 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Just forget this thread.  If I can’t read a ruler I don’t have any business reloading.  They are 1.8 and 1.9.  For sure.  

OOOH NO! We're here ta hep! :D

It sounds like someone made .45-60 cases out of them. Check the rim thickness they sometimes trim down the rim thickness thinner for older .45-60's. By shooting them continually in your .45-70 you could permanently mar your chamber which could cause difficulty in chambering full lenght .45-70's properly in the future. Just be sure and  keep the chamber very clean....BTW if you decide to sell them I'll buy 100 off you.

Good Luck Pard !

Side note: It does really bug me that Hornady has many cartridges they sell where they shorten the cases. The Leverevolution ammo is a good example and well as .357 Magnum American Gunner ammo. It’s pretty annoying if one doesn’t know that and mixes that brass with other brass. 
So far I have found this with .45-70, .45 Colt and .357 Magnum. 
Even after worrying hundreds of rounds of brass a .357 Hornady case shows up while hand loading. Grrrrrr

So, I said all that to say “Sell the brass and move on!”

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Side note: It does really bug me that Hornady has many cartridges they sell where they shorten the cases. The Leverevolution ammo is a good example and well as .357 Magnum American Gunner ammo. It’s pretty annoying if one doesn’t know that and mixes that brass with other brass. 
Even after worrying hundreds of rounds of brass a .357 Hornady case shows up while hand loading. Grrrrrr

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

Same here. This thread got me to wondering what to do with my Lever Evolution 45-70 brass. I guess buy a 45-60 and cut this down or get them to a new owner who wants to mess with reloading the slightly shorter case.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And that... is where 38 Short Colt comes from... :D

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Same here. This thread got me to wondering what to do with my Lever Evolution 45-70 brass. I guess buy a 45-60 and cut this down or get them to a new owner who wants to mess with reloading the slightly shorter case.

They are a pain to mix in. If it was all you had you could reload them just fine and not have to change your die settings. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Add .44 Mag to that list. Scrap bucket.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:19 AM, T.K. said:

It sounds like someone made .45-60 cases out of them. Check the rim thickness they sometimes trim down the rim thickness thinner for older .45-60's. By shooting them continually in your .45-70 you could permanently mar your chamber which could cause difficulty in chambering full lenght .45-70's properly in the future. Just be sure and  keep the chamber very clean....BTW if you decide to sell them I'll buy 100 off you.

Good Luck Pard !

Sent you a pm.

Archived