Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 overall length question


Recommended Posts

That big batch of ..45-70 cases I was bragging about may have a problem.  They are only 1.8 inches long.  If I full length resize they will stretch out to 1.9.  I know they'd be safe with BP, but now I'm kinda worried about mid-range (lever action) smokeless loads.  I suppose I could trim them on down to 2.04 and use LeverEvolution bullets with them.  Any suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DUH!  My math skills are way off.  LeverRevolution bullets require 2.04 trim length.  Kinda hard to trim 1.9 down to 2.04.  

 

I reckon I'll just use TrailBoss or BP in them.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder why would anyone cut them down so far below specification? 2.105" is SAAMI specification. Hornady Leveroution 45-70 cases are a shorter at 2.035".  Cannot fathom why someone would cut cases down 1.900"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of those adjustable brass trimmers, where the cutter is held in place on the circular bar by a set screw.

 

If you put too much pressure on it when you are turning the brass, the cutter moves under pressure, and you end up getting short brass. Been there, done that.

 

That's why all my brass trimmers are made by Lee. They cannot change size.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

DUH!  My math skills are way off.  LeverRevolution bullets require 2.04 trim length.  Kinda hard to trim 1.9 down to 2.04.  

 

I reckon I'll just use TrailBoss or BP in them.

 

First thing is to get hold of the vendor and tell them how short it is.

Then put it in your trimmer and turn it backwards to add length.  :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Just got an email from Hodgdon, they won’t recommend any loads for brass that short and FTX bullets.  Don’t really blame them.

 

As long as you maintain the proper OAL you can use those short cases with cast lead bullets. Just roll crimp them into the lead. 

 

As for the FXT ammo. I would test crimp a few at the proper OAL using a collet style crimp die. I'm betting that you can get an adequate crimp so that they can be used in a lever gun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deep breath. Ooonnnneee more measurement. Then we can start over with ya. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Just forget this thread.  If I can’t read a ruler I don’t have any business reloading.  They are 1.8 and 1.9.  For sure.  

OOOH NO! We're here ta hep! :D

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like someone made .45-60 cases out of them. Check the rim thickness they sometimes trim down the rim thickness thinner for older .45-60's. By shooting them continually in your .45-70 you could permanently mar your chamber which could cause difficulty in chambering full lenght .45-70's properly in the future. Just be sure and  keep the chamber very clean....BTW if you decide to sell them I'll buy 100 off you.

Good Luck Pard !

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Side note: It does really bug me that Hornady has many cartridges they sell where they shorten the cases. The Leverevolution ammo is a good example and well as .357 Magnum American Gunner ammo. It’s pretty annoying if one doesn’t know that and mixes that brass with other brass. 
So far I have found this with .45-70, .45 Colt and .357 Magnum. 
Even after worrying hundreds of rounds of brass a .357 Hornady case shows up while hand loading. Grrrrrr

 

So, I said all that to say “Sell the brass and move on!”

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Side note: It does really bug me that Hornady has many cartridges they sell where they shorten the cases. The Leverevolution ammo is a good example and well as .357 Magnum American Gunner ammo. It’s pretty annoying if one doesn’t know that and mixes that brass with other brass. 
So far I have found this with .45-70, .45 Colt and .357 Magnum. 
Even after worrying hundreds of rounds of brass a .357 Hornady case shows up while hand loading. Grrrrrr

 

So, I said all that to say “Sell the brass and move on!”

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

 

Same here. This thread got me to wondering what to do with my Lever Evolution 45-70 brass. I guess buy a 45-60 and cut this down or get them to a new owner who wants to mess with reloading the slightly shorter case.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

And that... is where 38 Short Colt comes from... :D

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

 

Same here. This thread got me to wondering what to do with my Lever Evolution 45-70 brass. I guess buy a 45-60 and cut this down or get them to a new owner who wants to mess with reloading the slightly shorter case.

They are a pain to mix in. If it was all you had you could reload them just fine and not have to change your die settings. 

 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Side note: It does really bug me that Hornady has many cartridges they sell where they shorten the cases. The Leverevolution ammo is a good example and well as .357 Magnum American Gunner ammo. It’s pretty annoying if one doesn’t know that and mixes that brass with other brass. 
So far I have found this with .45-70, .45 Colt and .357 Magnum. 
Even after worrying hundreds of rounds of brass a .357 Hornady case shows up while hand loading. Grrrrrr

 

So, I said all that to say “Sell the brass and move on!”

Trust me. Storing that brass with other brass is like chaperoning teenagers. You can keep them separated, but they still find a way to get together. ;)

Add .44 Mag to that list. Scrap bucket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sell them as shorter cases or scrap them..don't rig up some crap that might hurt your expensive gun....not worth it, get new cases

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 12:19 AM, T.K. said:

It sounds like someone made .45-60 cases out of them. Check the rim thickness they sometimes trim down the rim thickness thinner for older .45-60's. By shooting them continually in your .45-70 you could permanently mar your chamber which could cause difficulty in chambering full lenght .45-70's properly in the future. Just be sure and  keep the chamber very clean....BTW if you decide to sell them I'll buy 100 off you.

Good Luck Pard !

Sent you a pm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.