SASS Wire Forum

100 year battery

Key words; “under the right conditions”. 
100 years and 4 million miles would be an impressive feat. I wish them well. 

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Key words; “under the right conditions”. 
100 years and 4 million miles would be an impressive feat. I wish them well. 

Suppose he is only half right, or even a quarter right under real world conditions?   Kind of puts paid to all the EVSARETHESPAWNIFSATAN hysteria that EV batteries last less than a year.

My Walmart battery in Ol’ Green has worked perfectly for four or five years.  It still starts the truck every time.

That doesn’t mean it’ll last another ninety-five years.  These “papers” and “studies” look and sound promising and the “controlled” experiments are interesting.

We’re taking about the automotive industry!!  Before any of this actually becomes mainstream, the engineering and sales divisions will have moved on to the next “greatest thing”!

I've had 2 Motorcraft batteries last 13 years. I thought that was pretty amazing. The one currently in my F250 is 7 years old and runs the plow all winter. They do make em better these days.

40 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Suppose he is only half right, or even a quarter right under real world conditions?   Kind of puts paid to all the EVSARETHESPAWNIFSATAN hysteria that EV batteries last less than a year.

Must have missed the "hysteria" that the EV batteries lasted less than a year. Source?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Must have missed the "hysteria" that the EV batteries lasted less than a year. Source?

Regards

Gateway Kid

Just a generalization of the tone of the usual ALLEVSARESPAWNSOFSATAN!!!! screeds I find in social media. Other Truth about EVs I have learned on social media:

Summation of Electric Vehicle Memes and Articles:

Each Electric Vehicle (EV) takes 70,000 tons of coal to produce.

Each EV battery requires 15,000 tons of cobalt ore to be mined by Congolese two-year olds who are then used as fuel in the refining furnaces.

Every mile driven in an EV requires the burning of 11,213 tons of coal in power plants that haven’t been updated since 1939.

EVs can only go 15 miles between charges and it takes 47 hours on a fast charger to recharge.

There are only five charging station in the continental US. If all five are in use at the same time it will shut down the entire North American power grid.

EVs are useless because none of them can go 1,000 miles between charges while towing a fully loaded 28 foot trailer up a 7% grade through 4 feet of snow with an air temperature of 40 below zero.

Anyone who does not buy an EV by the end of the year will be marched to the nearest ГУЛАГ, there to be processed into fuel for the power plants.

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Just a generalization of the tone of the usual ALLEVSARESPAWNSOFSATAN!!!! screeds I find in social media. Other Truth about EVs I have learned on social media:

Summation of Electric Vehicle Memes and Articles:

Each Electric Vehicle (EV) takes 70,000 tons of coal to produce.

Each EV battery requires 15,000 tons of cobalt ore to be mined by Congolese two-year olds who are then used as fuel in the refining furnaces.

Every mile driven in an EV requires the burning of 11,213 tons of coal in power plants that haven’t been updated since 1939.

EVs can only go 15 miles between charges and it takes 47 hours on a fast charger to recharge.

There are only five charging station in the continental US. If all five are in use at the same time it will shut down the entire North American power grid.

EVs are useless because none of them can go 1,000 miles between charges while towing a fully loaded 28 foot trailer up a 7% grade through 4 feet of snow with an air temperature of 40 below zero.

Anyone who does not buy an EV by the end of the year will be marched to the nearest ГУЛАГ, there to be processed into fuel for the power plants.

SD Joe, you know I like (most of) your posts. Well thought out, on topic usually, well researched.

But.... quoting comments from those who don't know and will never bother to reach your lofty standards is, well, beneath you.

In my opinion, making Cr@p up is what most social media commentators do best and their "facts" are best ignored.

Hoping it is just an off day but to let another get to you is highly unusual and not you.

Hoping things get better and you can get back to being you.

Looking forward to the next SDJ post.

God Bless

Respectfully

Gateway Kid

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

These “papers” and “studies” look and sound promising and the “controlled” experiments are interesting.

And necessary.  They are just a more formal and repeatable approach to the, "I wonder what would happen if I use this stick with a notch at the end to help throw my spear?"

21 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Most of these claims turn out to be 99.9% wrong.

Just like the book data for ammunition.  Or airgun velocity, accuracy, range, and energy.  The company lists all that.  But you have to do some digging to find that they used four different types of pellets .  

But say it's good for "only" 25 years and a million miles in real world conditions, that isn't a bad thing.

Things don't spring into being ex nihilo overnight. And of course initial estimates released for public consumption will be overly optimistic.

18 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

SD Joe, you know I like (most of) your posts. Well thought out, on topic usually, well researched.

But.... quoting comments from those who don't know and will never bother to reach your lofty standards is, well, beneath you.

In my opinion, making Cr@p up is what most social media commentators do best and their "facts" are best ignored.

Hoping it is just an off day but to let another get to you is highly unusual and not you.

Hoping things get better and you can get back to being you.

Looking forward to the next SDJ post.

God Bless

Respectfully

Gateway Kid

Thank you for the compliment.  

And, yes, that was a piece of heavy, hyperbolic sarcasm that I wrote to poke fun at some of the things I've seen from the "I hate EVs" crowd.  I purposely went way overboard with my exaggerations.   To me they are just as ignorant and stupid as the "EVs are the Alpha and Omega.  They will end all our Social Ills, bring Prosperity and Peace to every corner of the globe!  They will make all the wars to cease, and shatter the spear in sunder. They shall be exalted in all the Earth!" types.

In another ongoing thread about EVs someone mentioned that a lot of the Anti-EV attitude is a knee-jerk, "Well if (insert political figure) is for it, I'm against it!"  Hell's bells!! There's some that if some certain politicians were to suddenly did an about face and said that every adult would get vouchers for six free guns and a thousand rounds a year for each of them, no questions or background checks would be against it.

Archived