SASS Wire Forum

Are domestic pigs dangerous

Alpo

I'm watching OPERATION PETTICOAT. They've just gotten to the point where they have stolen "Seaman Hornsby" - a pig - which they plan on having for New Year's dinner.

And they go in the pig pen, which has six or eight pigs in it, to get the biggest pig for lunch.

I realize this is a movie, and the pigs are all trained and will not try to eat the actors. But in reality - if you went into a pen full of domestic swine, would it be dangerous?

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But in reality - if you went into a pen full of domestic swine, would it be dangerous?

Are you talking about the Senate cloakroom?

They'll eat everything but the teeth.

Are domesticated cows and horses dangerous?

Talking about a multi hundred pound animal bred to eat and gain weight.

26 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Are you talking about the Senate cloakroom?

I do not believe that Congress critters are domesticated.

Yes hogs can be dangerous. This is also true for all farm animals. Like people they each have a different personality and can sometimes be grouchy and in a bad mood. Even animals that have been docile for years can react unexpectedly and hurt you because they don't realize their own strength.  

The thing about pigs is they are omnivores and will eat almost anything. They are attracted to fresh blood and can go into a kind of frenzy. Their tails will bleed profusely and if one is damaged and starts bleeding its pen mates may kill it to gain access to more blood.  Some farmers dock their tails when they are young to prevent this.

If one manages to cause you to bleed while you are in their pen they all may attack you to get to the blood. They don't start out to kill and eat you. It just sorta happens. 

I've seen chickens and turkeys have the same reaction to blood from one of their flock mates. To prevent them from pecking each other to death, the tip of their beaks are docked.

Our West Coast mass murderer, Robert Picton fed his victims to his pigs.

This is why we should ban pigs in Canada.

And cars, (drunk drivers)

And Doctors, (Medical errors)

And Cell Phones (People texting and driving)

And swimming pools (Drownings)

All of which would have a far greater impact than our dictatorial Prime Minister would like to acknowledge as opposed to banning firearms in the hands of their legal owners in Canada.

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

They'll eat everything but the teeth.

This is true. When I was a kid in SW Pennsylvania there was a lady in West Virginia whose husband up and vanished. Everyone suspected she killed him but there was no proof. Apparently a police investigator was following up on questions to this lady and was standing next to the pig pen when he noticed something white and shiny in the dirt. It was a human tooth. 
It turns out that she did kill him and fed him to the pigs. If pigs ate teeth she would have probably gotten away with it. 

During Prohibition, many bootleggers were fed the the hogs. And yes, pigs in a pen will go after you. Had a momma sow come after me once, my Uncle tossed me a 2x4 to get her off!

Grab a baby and let it squeal and the mother will  be on you in a flash. If we killed a snake around the buildings we would throw it in with the pigs. They would eat it in hurry and I have seen them eat a live rattler as the snakebites do not penetrate the skin.

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Hmm....I'm thinking that the pigs do in fact eat the teeth....they just don't digest 'em. 

They would still be available to be found:lol:

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

I do not believe that Congress critters are domesticated.

I thoroughly resent comparing members of Congress to swine! There is no need to insult pigs in such a manner!

I used to go riding with Doc Whiplash down in Florida.

We we’re warned once as we set out on a ride that there was a feral hog that had chased after a few horses and riders. It had also killed a cow or two, and ate part of them.

We we’re carrying a firearm each, but it was still unsettling,

They had to get a man with a rifle to bait it and finally kill it, thank God before the monster got to a horse and rider.

Pigs can be extremely aggressive and dangerous! And although they look unwieldy, can be very fast-and are built like little tanks.

The first thing that happens when you step into a pen of shoats is they will start bumping into you and snatching their head into your leg as if they had tushes.  They aren't playing.....they are trying to knock you off your feet.  You best not let that happen.   Knew of a hog farmer that went into a pen to doctor a pig and he slipped on the concrete floor and they didn't find enough to bury.  Yeah, coulda been a heart attack.

That said, I'm not afraid of domestic hogs but I have a healthy respect for them as they are super smart .  Its best that they develop a degree of respect for you.  You can't let them get by with jostling you.

Archived