SASS Wire Forum

Let's talk ladies handbags

Ann is looking for a concealed carry handbag/purse to carry her Taurus revolver.
She likes the Gun Tote'n Mammas brand like the one below.

Snip-it_1655054726200.jpg.ba7ac4eb67b7c4a6f591049ced91abc4.jpg
She doesn't like the gawdy over the top spangled adorned versions, just something discreet.
If your wife, significant other, or friend has one they like, or just opinions, it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The only advice I have is do not buy one that has their idiotic logo emblazoned on the side.

One buys a CCW bag to be discreet and not to have "So-and-So's Tactical Gear" embossed for all to see.

I saw a lady at a truck stop with a CCW bag, I knew it was a CCW bag because of the 3" in diameter logo embossed in the leather.

If the bag gets stolen or set down 'over there' no pistola.

Body carry keeps it handy, not sure if something like the flashbang holster would appeal.

I agree with Pat.  The best concealed bag is the one that doesn't look like a concealed bag.  If she is adamant about going the purse route, I suggest going to someplace like a thrift or consignment shop and try a couple of bags they have and modify it if necessary to conceal a holster.  Most of the holsters in those conceal bags are nothing more than a sticky holster with the hook side of hook and loop on the outside, attached to a pad of loop inside a concealed area of the purse.  That enables the wearer to position the holster to the best angle for their use.  I took that thought and purchased a Fossil purse that had a large zippered pocket on the front.  I added loop to the side of the pocket closest to the body of the bag, and attached my holster to it.  I am able to cant the holster to the best angle for my use, whether I'm wearing it right handed or left.  Fossil uses good quality leather and their bags are very durable.  Also, they don't look like a concealed bag.  I wouldn't go for something as flashy as a Dooney and Bourke or Coach because you're inviting someone to take the bag because of it's name.

All that being said, I RARELY use my CC purse.  It's far too easy to have it knocked from your shoulder or out of your hand by a purse thief, not to mention accidentally leaving it somewhere.  Then you have a bigger issue.  I always carry on me and choose my wardrobe to work with my holsters and what I will be carrying that day.  Another thing to think about is weight.  While most small concealed pistols are relatively light, try adding those couple of pounds to an already heavy bag.  I promise you won't want to carry for very long with all that extra weight inside.  If she wants to test that theory, have her add a couple of cans of food to her purse and carry those around for a couple of hours.  She will quickly see what I'm talking about.

7 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

If the bag gets stolen or set down 'over there' no pistola.

Body carry keeps it handy, not sure if something like the flashbang holster would appeal.

^This right here is why I STRONGLY urge all the ladies I talk to about carrying concealed to avoid these bags.  The vast majority of attacks on women are thieves trying to steal their handbags.  It would be bad enough having a handbag stolen.  Having her weapon stolen at the same time would make it infinitely worse.

But if she won't carry any other way I'd highly recommend she get a purse that has something like piano wire sewn into the carry strap.  That way it can't simply be cut and grabbed.

54 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

But if she won't carry any other way I'd highly recommend she get a purse that has something like piano wire sewn into the carry strap.  That way it can't simply be cut and grabbed.

The one I pictured is designed to prevent the strap being cut.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

^This right here is why I STRONGLY urge all the ladies I talk to about carrying concealed to avoid these bags.  The vast majority of attacks on women are thieves trying to steal their handbags.  It would be bad enough having a handbag stolen.  Having her weapon stolen at the same time would make it infinitely worse.

Yep. They go out to eat.. Hang it on the chair or set it in the floor.

At the store they put it in the cart. 

My wife won't carry in her purse/bag. It's on her.  

But if your wife is going to carry in a bag. Yes. Get one that is not easy to cut.  

Another option is to get a Fanny Pack in the local University's color and sew a school patch on it. Completely invisible in the summer.

Archived