SASS Wire Forum

Dark Winds

Utah Bob #35998

Anybody watch it tonight?

I enjoyed it. Hadn’t paid much attention to the previews. I didn’t know it was going to be a Joe Leaphorn story. I know all the locations they used. Kayenta, Gallup, Window Rock, Mexican Hat, Shiprock, etc so that was interesting to me. I also

so didn’t know George RR Martin, Robert Redford and Anne Hillerman were involved in producing it.
I really like Zahn McClarnon (Mathias from Longmire)

One thing I noticed is that most of the main characters don’t speak Navajo that well. But most of them aren’t Navajo, except for Deanna Alison who plays Leaphorn’s wife. It’s a tricky language. ;) 

Set my recorder

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I enjoyed it. Hadn’t paid much attention to the previews. I didn’t know it was going to be a Joe Leaphorn story. I know all the locations they used. Kayenta, Gallup, Window Rock, Mexican Hat, Shiprock, etc so that was interesting to me. I also

so didn’t know George RR Martin, Robert Redford and Anne Hillerman were involved in producing it.
I really like Zahn McClarnon (Mathias from Longmire)

One thing I noticed is that most of the main characters don’t speak Navajo that well. But most of them aren’t Navajo, except for Deanna Alison who plays Leaphorn’s wife. It’s a tricky language. ;) 

Everything UB said. I remember reading Hillerman's books 30 years ago that the show is based on, good reads too. My wife and I have traveled a lot on the Navajo Res and have been to most of the places in the show, made it more interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Everything UB said. I remember reading Hillerman's books 30 years ago that the show is based on, good reads too. My wife and I have traveled a lot on the Navajo Res and have been to most of the places in the show, made it more interesting. 

We visited Window Rock and Antelope Canyon, which I remember well.

I enjoyed it.Neat to see local( to me) areas used.

The Joe Leaphorn character didn't quite match Hillerman's physical description,but Zahr McClarnon's depiction was spot on.

Looking forward to the next episode.

The thing I noticed was that given the timeframe of the 50's thru 70"s, the buildings and houses were spot on. Things have changed a lot and most live in mobile homes. I am sure there are some of the old stuff left, but things have gotten a lot better.

45 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I enjoyed it.Neat to see local( to me) areas used.

The Joe Leaphorn character didn't quite match Hillerman's physical description,but Zahr McClarnon's depiction was spot on.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I hope it isn't as bad as Cruise playing Reacher.

9 hours ago, Dusty Wyatt said:

I enjoyed it very much. But the characters are certainly different from the way Tony Hillerman wrote them.

Yes. That’s the problem of watching movies made from books you’ve read.

I felt the same about Longmire initially. I got used to it quickly. 

Being a fan of the novels by Tony and Anne Hillerman , I was disappointed in the introduction of the characters of Chee and Manuelito. Totally wrong and backassward. But I didn't think much of how different the Longmire characters were either. Oh , well.

Rex :D

Does anyone remember the stinker Jim Chee- Joe Leaphorn movies 10-20 years ago. Not good. 

Archived