SASS Wire Forum

I want CNC Lathe

Pee Wee #15785

I have been looking a lathes and decided I want a good CNC lathe.  I know the price.  From what I have seen no USA made lathes unless older and not CNC are out there.  Would like to be able to run a 32" barrel contour but know that is dumb.  Will use it on pistol parts and barrels but would like to hold .0005" if needed.  Yes I can write the programs I will need.  Would like some recommendations on what to look at and what to stay away from.

Along the same line of interests, how about a bench-sized CNC mill...?  

Actually spent a goodly part of my morning on this one.

CNC machinery is wonderful, but still financially out of reach for most of us.  It is great for repetitive production operations and for curved or eccentric material removal operations that are very difficult to do accurately by hand.  But those operations can usually (not always) be done on a conventional lathe or mill, given time, patience, craftsmanship and good quality tooling.  

With the almost universal industrial change-over to CNC machinery, there is a glut of older, well-cared-for conventional tools available for some unbelievably low prices, if you shop around.  

Pee Wee

You can buy American made CNC Lathes but how much do you want to spend. HAAS Makes good lathes made in USA they have tolerance capability of .0002 in a controlled environment.  If you watch industrial actions you can pick up a lathe very reasonable, Also the other lathe worth buying are Dossan formally Dawoo  they are made in South Korea which are friendly to us they are great lathes and you can buy them super reasonable. 

I previously owned a precision machining company and owned 20+ CNC machines of course some I purchased brand new a Dossan Series 500 pallet changing vertical mill cost $235K but you can buy a really nice used Dossan or Haas lathe for $5000.

McKeag 

Archived