SASS Wire Forum

daughter asked, "A what with my what what?"

Trigger Mike

Desperate to think of what to have for supper my wife pulled out the stouffers SOS chipped beef and gravy.  As she is cooking the eggs she asked "who wants eggs with their SOS?"  my 10 year old said, "A what with my what what?"  so we had to explain it.  

Ah, the favorite of every serviceman..SOS.

After my initial serving, I could always go back and ask....

image.png.d761cefddbf5baba0be81d2f948c09e4.png

10 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Desperate to think of what to have for supper my wife pulled out the stouffers SOS chipped beef and gravy.  As she is cooking the eggs she asked "who wants eggs with their SOS?"  my 10 year old said, "A what with my what what?"  so we had to explain it.  

Man, do I know that feeling! The kids are grown, but even with just the two of us...tough some nights!

34 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Those are pretty good.  A "Grocery Outlet" store had some a while back at a buck a piece for the two serving size. Still have a few.

I ate two helpings, my younger 12 year old son ate 1 helping and my oldest 16 year old son had 1 egg and my 10 year old daughter had pizza rolls.  My wife had a granola bar.  i live with heathens who don't appreciate good food.  

The Stoffers SOS is pretty good. Slightly different than home cooked but I can't place my finger on the difference. I have a couple of boxes in the deep freezer. I may get one or two out in the morning for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I use the Stouffers about three times a week.  Add two Jimmy Dean's sausage links cooked before hand and cutup fine (and the grease) and a touch of Tabasco and some salt and pepper and pour it over toast.  A  glass of ice cold 50% /50% OJ and apple juice and a couple of cups of coffee and you're set for the entire day.

im not sure i trust stoufers to get SOS right , but then i only trust hormel to get spam right as well , i think some things only come out right from the original source , i guess i need to be less close minded in some things , 

Wow, now I have to look for it. I had no idea Stouffer's made that!

Thanks, might be dinner tonight!:)

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

im not sure i trust stoufers to get SOS right , but then i only trust hormel to get spam right as well , i think some things only come out right from the original source , i guess i need to be less close minded in some things , 

Well to get authentic SOS you are going to need an Army field kitchen and a few grumpy mess cooks to go with it.

49 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Well to get authentic SOS you are going to need an Army field kitchen and a few grumpy mess cooks to go with it.

Or the mess decks on the USS Virginia. We had a main reefer down so canned roast beef was on the menu every day. Sometimes 3 times a day in one form or another. :lol:
They did a pretty good job on the SOS. It was pretty good. I can’t say that about the other meals. 

6 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Eat what is served, or don't eat at all.

Home isn't a restaurant.

“This isn’t a restaurant!”

How many times did I hear THAT as a kid growing up??:lol:

When I went through the chow line, in the Navy, I avoided picking up the S.O.S. dish. 

The presentation, or visual, of food, is a big part of the eating experience, for me.

I always hesitated to eat things that looked like hell, or looked like it had already been chewed, and spit back out on the plate.

Now my folks were of the "greatest generation", grew up in the Great Depression, and had little choice, many times, on what they had to eat.

In fact, I think they were well into their teenage years before they realized gravy was not a beverage.

Some of the most elegant, “eye candy” dishes that I have had served to me were the most inedible food I’ve ever encountered.  I decide what I will eat after tasting it.

If you have to “develop a taste” for something, it probably isn’t really all that palatable in the first place!!

Archived